Ducati.org forum banner

DTC Information

6K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  zman 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It's pretty amazing technology, just sucks that its not "installable" on base models or later models like the 08 bikes. I'm guessing that the ECU has some sort of tilt sensor since it has to be mounted in a very specific location which really makes this DTC solution amazing.

Has anyone played around with the DTC in the wet stuff, it hardly rains in San Diego but when it does the roads are like ice because of all the crap that builds up on the streets between rainfall.

I'm still up in the air over whether or not i want the 1198S, depends on how good a deal the dealers want to give me, the only problem I have is that i REALLY REALLY like the white 1198.

#10 ·
I wanna know more about the dtc not working when you change tires since I changed from the sp tires "stock" to the sc2 supercorsas. I had done two track day on the stock tires and you could get a good sense of when the dtc was kicking in.After a while seemed like level5 was a good one for me to stay with.The second track the rear tires started to destroy it self and ended the day early.So the next day I had at Laguna I had the sc2's on and kept the dtc on at level 5 and noticed that I wasn't seeing the dtc led's come on...thought it was kinda wierd until I read the thing about 1-3 setting will only work once you change the tires....has anyone else had this problem,and if so what level should I be on for the dtc to work? Thanx!

#12 ·
Maybe the DTC is a little different on the 1198S than on the the 1098R. When I used Pirelli sc2s I used level 3or4, as higher settings were tooooo obtrusive. When I switched to Michelin Power Ones, the equivilent setting is level 1 or 2, and 2 is borderline but fun. One is about perfect. Words of warning, be sure to check everytime you go out on the track to insure the DTC is on! If it is turned off (because you disconnected the battery, or speedo unit, or ?), you will be very surprised the first time you come blasting out of a corner. Hopefully you will rely on your previous riding skills to ride it out. Then you can return to the pits to turn it back on, because you can't reset it on the fly, and to clean out your leathers.

#21 ·
Hehe, I hear ya! I've had it set to level 3 since riding out the shop, but with all this rain about and the initial run in period, I've only done one run each of Putty, Old Pacific Highway and the RN Park. Here's hoping the rain is gone by this w/end! Thinking about another run along Putty.... know any other good runs?

Not making excuses, but this is the first 'New' anything I've ever had so I'm a little edgy about this running in bizzo :wtf:

#19 ·
I've got both bikes, the R and the1198S. I've had several nasty encounters with my R and wheelies (which i'm addicted to), and have learned on the R that the DTC must be off if you're planning on hanging long wheelies. I've been able to check out all the current dealer info on the 1198S DTC and know for a fact that it is a different system. And oddly, a better system from what I've read. I haven't had a chance to test out the 1198S system yet since I've been so busy, and the bike was down for the first six weeks I had it since I had it stripped to the frame. I just got back from Miller, and I'm pretty open the next few weeks...so I'm going to have my chance to test it out. :smoking: I know the R system very well....I'll report back what differences I notice with the S.

#22 ·
mate, the first weekend i had mine, 5 of us did a run to Merimbula and back, via macquarie pass, kangaroo valley, to bermagui then cut in the coast road to tathra and merimbula.. next day we went to Wyndham, Candelo, Tathra, Bermagui and back... did my 1000+ klm, never rev'd over 6500/7000rpm and had a ball.. just don't stay on the same revs and let the engine labour too much ... good fast windy, hilly road is good, so our coast trip was perfect...

#23 ·
zman I'm a little addicted to the wheelies too ;). I've bought it up on lvl 3 but too afraid to keep it up their, I'll bring it down to quickly as afraid it will cut in all of a sudden. But from reading the dtc information it should know if its doing a wheelie.

Keen to hear other 1198S owners feedback on this.

#34 ·
zman I'm a little addicted to the wheelies too ;). I've bought it up on lvl 3 but too afraid to keep it up their, I'll bring it down to quickly as afraid it will cut in all of a sudden. But from reading the dtc information it should know if its doing a wheelie.

Keen to hear other 1198S owners feedback on this.
I pick my 1198s up on Saturday, however when dealership was talking about specs etc and DTC he said that it doesnt allow the bike to wheelie above 100mph not sure if this was true but would guess if you are hooking it up in 2nd and 3rd gear you would be close to triple figures.

Also after owning a zx10r c2h and experiencing 100mph + wheelies just on the power will the Ducati be as light on the front, i am not a wheelie demon however if it wheelies on power eg just pure accelaration i am happy to go with it..... I did have BST Carbons on my 10r as well.

#24 ·
I'll be a little reluctant for sure on the S, just because I learned my lesson on the R with DTC. Exit wheelies, and short power wheelies had me thinking "no worries". Figured the DTC wasn't going to drop me, so I started going after my 2nd gear clutch ups that I fell in love with from my 1098S...next thing ya know, BANG! "Holy Hell....That was close!"....I've had the DTC off for every road ride since. I know what's been written, but I'm going to work it slowly on the 1198S just in case.

#26 ·
Here is what I don't get. Supposedly the Bayliss has the upgrades to the DTC that cut both fuel and spark. As well as supposedly being a smoother system in regards to various tire sizes etc for this year.

From what I gather, these changes all took place within the ECU itself. The brochure states that existing owners of 08 1098R's can't upgrade to the new version, but it appears that you could simply buy a new ECU and it would plug and play?

Am I missing something? I don't owner either bike, just something I was wondering about.

#29 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask....just this past Thursday I put the S to the test regarding the DTC and wheelies. For me, I'd say the new system works without slamming you out of a hanging wheelie. I worked them in 1st and 2nd using power ups and clutch ups... in 3rd only clutch ups. DTC Level 4. I started slowly just in case, but found the system to work flawlessly. Not a single moment or hiccup. Hung some super long 2nds, and a couple of 3rds. No issues whatsoever. I'm convinced it wont clip my throttle at this point. Nice to know :smoking: As for the R....No DTC on the roads ever. Track only! (no wheelies there)

#30 ·
No DSC for my S at the moment :bash: Had the Termi slip on's fitted at purchase and the wrong ECU came with them :bandit: Second time this has happened, according to my dealer? In for the first service this morning but still no ECU, they say it should be with them by Friday - we shall see!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.