Foot-peg Frame Tabs breaking - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchristiansen View Post
Factory 1098 tank is part #58611601AY- $2146.97.... You guys think I am just making shit up for amusement?
Look the parts up your self.
http://www.ducatiomaha.com/products.asp
Oh thats such a crock of shit, I just ran the price and it came up to $2146.99. How the hell do you get a $.02 discount? Are you a cheerleader for Omaha? j/k man.

Yes the site says that much, can't explain why, but when I asked my dealer for pricing on the entire body, nose, tank, right and left mid and lower and tail, I was quoted just a hair over what Omaha is showing for the tank (which includes all items from 1-14, maybe that adds a bit, but I can't see it adding that much).

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
CAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Of course, this drastic overpricing of parts only adds to the total loss/write-off of so many bikes which are easily repaired and roadworthy.

e.g. Thugsfatboy, estimate of $4k AU for a single Ohlins fork leg? Hell I sell pairs of Ohlins R&T for much less than that! WTF gives? It must be Ducati's way of keeping parts on hand for base model guys to upgrade, and other brands/models to convert.

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchristiansen View Post
Factory 1098 tank is part #58611601AY- $2146.97.... You guys think I am just making shit up for amusement?
Look the parts up your self.
http://www.ducatiomaha.com/products.asp
Hey at least its almost a few hundred dollars cheaper then the previous price you paid of 2300$

Like i said, i never doubted what some people are tryign to charge. But if you buy your parts from that site you are either extremely wealthy and lazy, or just not to sharp. I got my 1098S with 900 miles and no bodywork damage of ANY KIND for well under $15k
Dbame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #19
x27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Re-enforcing the Tabs is a bad idea IMHO, The choice is, bend the tabs or bend the frame?

Now I think I could deal with bent tabs but a bent frame is game over...or closer to it.
x27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #20
Banned

No ducatis in the registry

When I wadded up my 1098S.. The only thing wasn't bent was the frame tabs... Go-figure..

10-6 you beat me to it, I was going to mention speedymoto also..

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by x27 View Post
Re-enforcing the Tabs is a bad idea IMHO, The choice is, bend the tabs or bend the frame?

Now I think I could deal with bent tabs but a bent frame is game over...or closer to it.
I'd be inclined to agree.

The 'weakest link' is that for a reason. Maybe the OEM's are a tad soft though or so it would seem.

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[996]

Send a message via AIM to junior
had a slight off when stopping on some gravel ( 20km/hr), bent the tabs on the RHS, replaced the pegs with grilles rearsets ( another Guido victim ) and made up an alloy spacer that is wedge shaped so that the rearsets sat on square (again).

the frame cracked some 70,000km later where the subframe bolts on, striped the bike back and got it welded up no problem at all, and an extra gusset put in to stregthen it up.

The painting I did myself using an air brush with the correct frame paint colour that I got from the bike painter, was not too difficult just took my time about it.

Every morning I wake up, I find that I am on the wrong side of capitalism.

Military policy is like cancer: Nobody knows where it comes from but it can't be ignored.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbame View Post
anyone who has gone down has probably had some type of bending on the tabs that come off the frame to hold the footpegs.

My bike has a bent (and then pulled back into place) tab from a lowside.

What is everyones experience with this:
Totaled bike
new frame
modified tabs
etc

Can i have a shop weld some reenforcement as a preemptive precaution ...? I would imagine they might be able to get in behind the table and do something that would support the tab, and not be visible.
I had a fairly vigorous lowside last year at the track, since it was wearing track bodywork the only real damage was broken display and a bent frame tab. The insurance company totaled the bike after much heated argument

In the end they settled with me and I bought the bike back for $4000 and repaired it for less than 2 grand. Coincidentally it cost 300 bucks to bend the tab straight and put on a support weld and the engine doesn't need to be removed.
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to Mchristiansen
Initially I called BCM Motorsports after the accident because they are the ones that sold me the bike. I asked them estimated how much for the plastics, entire right side tail and tank are trashed. He said 6 to 8k just for plastics and around 2800 for the bent swingarm. Plus my frame tabs are bent, I am sure I can fix it buy why? Bikes brand new.....

Christiansen
Mchristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

I have lowsided my bike twice, which bent the tabs. They bend very easily. I use DP folding rear sets. The clutch cover takes most of the abuse. (always use a super-strong one). Also the clip-on bends, and the side fairing gets scuffed. I bend the tabs back to their normal position, replace the damaged parts and head back out. Since the load exerted by the riding position, is different from the crash loads, the seem strong enough and do not bend under use. I guess during the winter, I will strip the bike down and fix any cracking. (if any). I am amazed how good the 1098's hold-up for pretty fast lowsides. (mine have been on the right side!)

BOBR
219R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219R View Post
The clutch cover takes most of the abuse. (always use a super-strong one).

BOBR
i have a cf clutch cover, i dont think it would hold up in a low side. i didnt think it would take most of the abuse on that side. what clutch cover did you have? was it stock?
jelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

I use a yoyodyne, the last lowside cracked one of the ribs, but it did not fail, the springs and pressure plate are like new. Which is more than I can say for me, I broke my collar bone, and cracked some ribs. Like Arnold says "I'll be bach".

BOBR
219R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to Mchristiansen
I have a speedymoto cover 5-spoke and it held up well, it def bent but bike still ran without clutch damage.

Christiansen
Mchristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by x27 View Post

This is an illogical position from an engineering perspective.
The frame tabs should be strong and rigid and the rear set brakets/pegs should be sacrificial.
So when the bike go's down the hangers and pegs bend/break away and the tabs survive.
Much cheaper,easier and more logical way.
Caio
lucky phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Almost like they engineered the components to allow you to ride home and get the bike to the insurance company so it can be totalled....guess they wouldn't want you to have to trailer the bike home after a simple low-side.

Hmmm maybe use the reinforced tabs pictured earlier, then cut a slight relief into the peg/bracket so it breaks/bends in the event of a get-off?

Red 08' 1098