Ducati.org forum banner

Cutting Carbon Fiber... Dremmel?

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  M1st1098 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a pretty awesome carbon fiber swingarm cover but it is a TIGHT squeeze. WOLF put his on and it looked amazing! I wasnt as lucky/patient, lol. One corner of it rest under a part of the chain guard and elevates a piece causing the chain to rub. I would like to cut that piece or possibly reshape it...With that being said, how can I do that? If I were to borrow a dremmel would that work/ Could I cut a 2 inch long piece off and shape it to a desired fit without ruining the clearcoat, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 · (Edited)
Grind away Xx.

It's better with a sanding 'bit' when you just need to trim but you can cut away till your heart's content if you trust yourself.

Cutting has more chance of chipping clear coat (if indeed it has any) but sanding is better.

If your worried about exposed cuts, they can be cheaply covered with clear nail varnish.

A dust mask is also advisable. There's also the old adage "Measure twice, cut once". Once you've cut it off - it ain't going back on again.

#4 · (Edited)
XX,

There no cutting needed. You should fit the CF swingarm cover (The corner part under the chain in between the swingarm and "plastic " under the chain. No robbing.

It will rob if you fit above the "plastic" under the chain, that is the trick. :)

The only part you need is the drilling for rear hugger holes. and 3M double side tape.

We have the same CF swingarm cover, no cutting is needed. If you really want to cut it, it was so easy with drem tool :)

brett is right, don't cut but sand down the CF!!!

#5 ·
I put the swingarm cover on, had some problem with the stock chain guard ( did what you described ), I ended up removing the ofending part of the stock guard, it did not matter as I had the carbon cover that went over the top of it. I just snipped it off, it was the part at the front of the guard at the edge.

There is a thread somewhere in here with detailed fitting instructions.

if you cut the carbon dont forget to seal the edge ( clear nail varnish will work ok ).

#8 ·
M1st1098 - thats it, was a great help in fitting the cover - again thanks

#16 ·
yes

#15 ·
I agree.. Quality and fit were better than expected. It's my one non shift-tech piece and the quality isn't as good but for the price and style, it was worth it. I did have to dremmel a bit for the perfect fit but for $86... Well worth it!! Wait til you see pics of WOLFs bike with it installed.. Looks amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.