Front end feels too light over 180 - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Maybe pm Ozducati, he has been all down this road and has good solid advice.
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #17

No ducatis in the registry

Wait a minute! You mean to tell me you weigh 121lbs.?!
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #18

If you weigh 121 pounds thats your problem right there, you arent heavy enough to put enough weight over the front. Lay your chest down on the tank, and keep your head down low over the tank. I weigh 220 pounds, all I have to do to weight the front in turns is a little lean forward...
999freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Stock front springs are .950 kg/mm, at your weight, an optimal street and track spring would be a .850 kg/mm, that taking into consideration you ride street and eithe aggressive canyon or occasional track. Thats also a std rate spring, avail. from racetech and I'm sure Ohlins would carry the same bit-of course charging slightly more since its marketed through Ohlins. Custom rate spring more track (and stiff on street) would be .875 kg/mm.

But yeah, even though it sounds like not much difference b/w .95 and .85, it is a great difference in tuning and handling.

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
CAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

great, fellas, I'm still serching for a place to get this over here....not easy
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

Forget all that stuff about getting your body over the tank. Pedrosa doesn't have the problem. It's just a matter of getting the springs rates right for your weight.

You could even mail your forks over to the Eastern states to get someone to do them.
markthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999freak View Post
If you weigh 121 pounds thats your problem right there, you arent heavy enough to put enough weight over the front. Lay your chest down on the tank, and keep your head down low over the tank. I weigh 220 pounds, all I have to do to weight the front in turns is a little lean forward...
Sorry mate but that advice is just crap.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #23

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
Stock front springs are .950 kg/mm, at your weight, an optimal street and track spring would be a .850 kg/mm, that taking into consideration you ride street and eithe aggressive canyon or occasional track. Thats also a std rate spring, avail. from racetech and I'm sure Ohlins would carry the same bit-of course charging slightly more since its marketed through Ohlins. Custom rate spring more track (and stiff on street) would be .875 kg/mm.

But yeah, even though it sounds like not much difference b/w .95 and .85, it is a great difference in tuning and handling.
What he said is about bang on the money.
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks MTB and Cat3, yeah, I'm with you on this, and I'm on the case.

As I kinda said, it aint my technique, I'm just on the edge of what my current set-up offers me. I'm not improving my track times with this particular brick wall...and I want to get around it.
You 2 nailed it, and I'm really thankful ( ha, I thought it would be more $ tho. Ta !

Rags
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing777 View Post
Thanks MTB and Cat3, yeah, I'm with you on this, and I'm on the case.

As I kinda said, it aint my technique, I'm just on the edge of what my current set-up offers me. I'm not improving my track times with this particular brick wall...and I want to get around it.
You 2 nailed it, and I'm really thankful ( ha, I thought it would be more $ tho. Ta !

Rags
I'm amazed you haven't ate shit riding with you're suspension as unsorted as it is. Not even close to on the edge, your currently in another dimension once you get this taken care of, you'll be needing to relearn your lean so you don't push to hard, which is what you are doing now, pushing harder trying to control the ill-sorted suspension.

Again, if you need help getting the stuff from across the pond from here to there you can let me know. I have plenty of references, even in Oz

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks CAT111b...well, you see, I tried everything with the stock....soft/soft, up in the tree for quicker response.....and I've lived with it....but there is a point in one's life where one cant get any better with the cards the gods at Panigale delt....so now I'm going to get my ducks in a row.
'preciate your help in kicking my dumb ass ( an' my fren MTB too )
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #27

What about a 40lb. backpack? That would help.
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

yup, yup, and dont poo as often..maybe fit a race tank, and refuel twice as often.
..oh, and what was the other one....oh, yeah, 'the only carbon you need, mate, is in your cereal'
It's cool being short, though, makes my dick look huge
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing777 View Post
yup, yup, and dont poo as often..maybe fit a race tank, and refuel twice as often.
..oh, and what was the other one....oh, yeah, 'the only carbon you need, mate, is in your cereal'
It's cool being short, though, makes my dick look huge
nonoo...the dont poo thing dont work..nor does eating carbon firbre cereal for breakfast ..i tried all that stuff..

already had my springs re-done and a ohly 1098s shock on the back of the 848..steering damper and last on my list is fr forks revalved...then it should feel a little more like me..short and light on mitt tha weightyness..

had originally dropped my ride height because of the shortness...but have just taken her back up to a fly shit lower than standard...
so...im back to wearing the road vibrations up the arms and thru my neck again..upside is she is steering like magic..downside.. im barely able to touch the tarmac..
@ 5'3 and standard 848 seat height..cant wait for the front fork work...
its tuff being a short arse.. but we make up for it in other ways hey boeing!!...(makes my boobers look bigger)
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

At least you both maximize on leg room, other than making certain parts look bigger, I guess thats a positive. Add in the quicker acceleration from lighter overall mass and seems your sitting pretty good, just careful putting the foot down at stops

Red 08' 1098