ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   Front end feels too light over 180 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/18414-front-end-feels-too-light-over-180-a.html)

Boeing777 October 8th, 2009 05:57 AM

Front end feels too light over 180
 
ok fellas, I need some help for my base 1098.

Over 180 kph, the front feels really light. I had taken the forks down in the tripple over a year ago ( that is, more thread exposed ) and the guys did this at the shop from new and now I'm really starting to notice the lightness leaned over. Dunno why. My head is usually on the screen or beside it, so I dont think its technique...

I have backed the rebound off (front ) and put a little more on the rear..still feels light

Further, my weight is 135 kg ....sorry, no...that must be lbs.....let's say 55 kg, ok......and have aftermarket rear spring for my weight...static is ok...but I get no sag on the front at all (go figure ) preload settings are on the softish side.

...any quick thoughts?

Rags

brettc63 October 8th, 2009 06:11 AM

Yeah - :laughing:


Your'e a big fucker ain't ya ?

lucky phil October 8th, 2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing777 (Post 233800)
ok fellas, I need some help for my base 1098.

Over 180 kph, the front feels really light. I had taken the forks down in the tripple over a year ago ( that is, more thread exposed ) and the guys did this at the shop from new and now I'm really starting to notice the lightness leaned over. Dunno why. My head is usually on the screen or beside it, so I dont think its technique...

I have backed the rebound off (front ) and put a little more on the rear..still feels light

Further, my weight is 135 kg and have aftermarket rear spring for my weight...static is ok...but I get no sag on the front at all (go figure ) preload settings are on the softish side.

...any quick thoughts?

Rags

Do they make a rear spring for a 135KG rider :stickpoke
Thats double the weight of the average WSB rider.
Ciao

kryten2001 October 8th, 2009 07:34 AM

Don't be nasty, us fat c*nts need love too.

To answer the OP's question, I can't say I've felt the same thing on my 1198?

Maybe try tilting your head or shoulders forward/down to create a little downforce. I've found the 1198 offers such little wind protection, that I've felt like my head was about to tear off on occasion.

But that's probably just me. I hear what you're saying.
:conveyer:

:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

Cblast October 8th, 2009 07:49 AM

When I first got the Duc and was doing top speed runs at a little rural airport out in the boonies I noticed the same thing. I switched to a DB windscreen and can tuck in behind it better and the problem of that "light" feeling went away completely.

ms.tightywhitey October 8th, 2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cblast (Post 233818)
When I first got the Duc and was doing top speed runs at a little rural airport out in the boonies I noticed the same thing. I switched to a DB windscreen and can tuck in behind it better and the problem of that "light" feeling went away completely.

booo:p

hey cblast how you doin??
long time:wtf:

where you been??
hope all is good wif you and yours!!

Cblast October 8th, 2009 08:15 AM

TW! Yup, I have been doing great! Riding a lot, enjoying the nice weather here at the end of the season and looking forward to a few more mods over the winter. How about you?

Cblast October 8th, 2009 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Boeing, sit this chick on your handlebars...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Boeing777 October 8th, 2009 06:18 PM

.....hey fellas.....sorry, so sorry, I was a bit pissed when I wrote that last night.. I'm 55 kgs ( dunno how 135 came into my head ..lbs conversion for the yanks? again, dunno...one of the mysterys of old age)
Anyway, thanks CB on the DB.....

Does any suspension guru think I should take the forks back up in the clamp?
Will a 30 mm offset help this particular phenom?


thanks all

Rags

wilkson October 8th, 2009 06:21 PM

Don't know whats worse being 135 kg's or 55. Have to start calling you Boying instead.

markthebike October 8th, 2009 06:37 PM

So I think your problem is that you have changed the rear spring to a lighter (hopefully) one to suit your 55KG weight, but the front springs remain unchanged.

The stock front springs are 1.0 NM which would be way too stiff for you. No wonder your front end is skipping & floating at high speed.

You need to get lighter springs for the front end. A revalve doesn't hurt while your'e at it BTW.

ms.tightywhitey October 9th, 2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettc63 (Post 233801)
Yeah - :laughing:


Your'e a big fucker ain't ya ?

teeheehee brett

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cblast (Post 233825)
TW! Yup, I have been doing great! Riding a lot, enjoying the nice weather here at the end of the season and looking forward to a few more mods over the winter. How about you?

am doin okay cblast..not as much riding as id have liked to over the winter..been working on the house..but its perfect just now to get on the bike and ride away from all that work..:D
got a track day coming up soon...getting to meet all of the kitchen sink guys..wilson, soz, oz, heaps more ..really really lookin forward to that!!
should be an absolute blast cblast..
stay safe my fren ;)
xxk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing777 (Post 234000)
.....hey fellas.....sorry, so sorry, I was a bit pissed when I wrote that last night.. I'm 55 kgs ( dunno how 135 came into my head ..lbs conversion for the yanks? again, dunno...one of the mysterys of old age)
Anyway, thanks CB on the DB.....

Does any suspension guru think I should take the forks back up in the clamp?
Will a 30 mm offset help this particular phenom?


thanks all

Rags

boeing...noooo:ahhh:way youre 55kgs..youre a feather weight like me ..nup...youre lighter than me..im 60:wtf:
55 for real??
you'd be gettin bounced around same as me then..
:conveyer:

Boeing777 October 9th, 2009 05:19 PM

Thanks y'all.

Yeah MTB, I guess I have to do the front. Bugger it, I'm such a cheep-ass too. Can anyone recomend a dealer in Oz for Ohlins ?

Hey TW, yup, I'm just a little bastard alrighty.

markthebike October 9th, 2009 05:44 PM

A set of front springs & a revalve will you about $ 500 to $ 600. Not sure about who is available in Perth to do it for you.

Boeing777 October 9th, 2009 06:28 PM

....thaks big fella.
the black art of suspension set-up really isn't my forte', especially at this level. What specs can you recomend? I do know that the Showas can take some really nice Ohlins guts, given the larger diameter sleves ( not like the S 'Ohlins' )...so what do I need, brother?
Maybe I can order the bits an bobs and fit them myself....any thoughts?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.