95 octane - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

95 octane

Reading over the manual it says use nothing lower then 95octane. Well here in Cali we get the short end of the stick. The highest we have is 92. What gives?
10982nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

High compression ratio requires slow burning fuel to avoid premature ignition.
sws626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws626
High compression ratio requires slow burning fuel to avoid premature ignition.
I understand why its needed. BUT Ducati knows what fuels are available in the states. Just like they addressed the CARB laws here in Cali.
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 2]

In very simple terms, Ducati calls out 95 octane but it is measured in Research Octane Number (RON); which is the European convention. The US measures octane by averaging RON + the Motor Octane Number (MON). MON octane ratings give a lesser number so the US ratings you see at the pump, RON + MON/2, will be 4 to 5 point lower than the European rating. so your 92 RON + NON / 2 is 96 or 97 RON .... or over what Ducati recommends.

Clear as mud?

Chris
ckirkst2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkst2s
In very simple terms, Ducati calls out 95 octane but it is measured in Research Octane Number (RON); which is the European convention. The US measures octane by averaging RON + the Motor Octane Number (MON). MON octane ratings give a lesser number so the US ratings you see at the pump, RON + MON/2, will be 4 to 5 point lower than the European rating. so your 92 RON + NON / 2 is 96 or 97 RON .... or over what Ducati recommends.

Clear as mud?

Chris
You the man! Thanks!
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #6

True, confusing...

not to mention the lowest octane possible without pinging is the best for your bike. See my other post on this, plus I have confirmed this with two Ducati dealerships. Two guys I ride with have their 1098s on 87-89 and they love the way their bikes run...mine's on 87 and runs the nuts.

It's true...counterintuitive but true!

Quote:

Clear as mud?

Chris
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 2]

"not to mention the lowest octane possible without pinging is the best for your bike. See my other post on this, plus I have confirmed this with two Ducati dealerships. Two guys I ride with have their 1098s on 87-89 and they love the way their bikes run...mine's on 87 and runs the nuts.

It's true...counterintuitive but true!"

I agree completely. Since higher octane fuels suppress premature combustion so combust less readily than lower octane fuels. An understanding of what pre-detonation or pinging sounds like is critical and maybe a bit hard with rattly clutched Ducati's with booming exhausts. I run 88 in an ST2 that has 12:1 pistons with no base gasket, amongst other performance improvements, and have run 88 octane for a few years with no pinging. Same with a high comp 11:1 F1b .

I've yet to run the 1098 on lower octane I will pull my earplugs out & experiment based on your positive experience.

Chris
ckirkst2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #8

Never thought of that...

and not sure if this helps. But my tech told me to run it up a hill in a gear that is too high, loading the engine. ("a gear you know you shouldn't be in...") According to him you can determine if it's pinging that way.

He also recommended a gradual reduction, starting with just a little or a half tank so that worst case scenario you're filling with higher octane to bring the average up. I started with 89, ran fine, then went to a bit of 87. If it pinged I was going to put in 91 to get an average of 89. Hope I'm not being too redundant...I'm tired.

My techs have confirmed that 91 is all good, and my friends have confirmed that 87 is all good in the 1098s. Hope that helps, good luck!

Quote:
"not to mention the lowest octane possible without pinging is the best for your bike. See my other post on this, plus I have confirmed this with two Ducati dealerships. Two guys I ride with have their 1098s on 87-89 and they love the way their bikes run...mine's on 87 and runs the nuts.

It's true...counterintuitive but true!"

I agree completely. Since higher octane fuels suppress premature combustion so combust less readily than lower octane fuels. An understanding of what pre-detonation or pinging sounds like is critical and maybe a bit hard with rattly clutched Ducati's with booming exhausts. I run 88 in an ST2 that has 12:1 pistons with no base gasket, amongst other performance improvements, and have run 88 octane for a few years with no pinging. Same with a high comp 11:1 F1b .

I've yet to run the 1098 on lower octane I will pull my earplugs out & experiment based on your positive experience.

Chris

Last edited by NewDuc; August 5th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

A bit off topic but the service manager where I bought mine told me that despite Sunoco being the highest octane rating available in Ontario Canada (94)the additives they use make it not as good as the Shell Gold (92). He said to at all costs avoid fuels with Ethanol, but I can't recall his reasoning - I'll just trust him on that one.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote