Throttle Stuck!!! - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Angry Throttle Stuck!!!

So I am riding home for lunch today and I accelerate in 2nd gear to about 4000 rpms and let off for upcoming traffic, but the bike stayed at 4000 rpms even when I had released the throttle!! I pushed it foward to make sure the actual grip wasn't stuck, but it was back on neutral position!! I pulled the clutch in and the revvs SLOWLY dropped to 2000, but then stayed there and as soon as I let out the clutch and accelerated again they would stay at whatever RPM I let off at!! Finally I turned off the bike with the kill switch and restarted it and had the same thing happen. Then I tried turning off the key (this is all while riding down a busy street) and turned it back on and the problem was gone, which leads me to believe it was somthing electronic (throttle position sensor??).

It was kinda scary since I was on one of the most busy streets here during lunch time... Any ideas guys?? Guess its just another thing to add to the list when I go for my 600 service...
Evan
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Serious Problem

Dude that is A SERIOUSLY SCARY PROBLEM you are lucky not to have smashed up your bike or worse.
You would think that there would be some fail safe technology to stop this type of condition arising.
Imagine if that had of happened coming upto an intersection or hairpin corner, get the bike to your dealer on a trailer!
Dukesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

The same thing happend to me, but I was doing 100 about to hit a 90 degree corner.. The way I solved the problem temporarily was to grab the clutch and strongly grip the throttle closed. It has yet to happen again, but I'm ready in case it does... Scary a little bit maybe if I scared easily. I was just amazed that it kept going. Last resort was the kill switch..

Last edited by von1098; August 22nd, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
von1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

contradiction in terms

On 7/2/07, our learned newbie posted in the "Top Speed" thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by von1098
I've only seen 95 and that's just a little too fast. I just like to cruise. I'll try to pop some wheelies and that's about it. I didn't pay all this money to see what a DUC can do, shoot I know what it can do.
And today our Master of Knowledge Assimilation posts:
Quote:
I was doing 100 about to hit a 90 corner.
Damn!! I've heard of quick studies, but this is unbelievable!!!

Von, you're my hero! Do you give riding lessons? Could I pay you money to teach me how to ride? I'm willing to travel to Chitown for your wisdom!

Let me know. Money is no object. I'll pay anything.

I await your response.

Your humble follower,

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green)
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R (Red/Silver)
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducati 907ie w/ worked engine (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)

Last edited by mrinflux; August 21st, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

95 seems too fast, well shit it feels really good on a sweeper with your knee touching !!! I mean if a guy is "New" and he's riding one of these things, give the guy a break. There is a learning curve ,to say the least, with a Liter bike. Over time you become more comfortable with higher speeds. These bikes don't even really come into their own until about 100+ miles an hour. They turn at 100+ with amazing agility. I think everyone oughta ride at speeds that they feel comfortable with.
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

You are "the shit" man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux

Von, you're my hero! Do you give riding lessons? Could I pay you money to teach me how to ride? I'm willing to travel to Chitown for your wisdom!

I await your response.

Your humble follower,

Elton
Elton you are definitly the shit dude your reply to Von on that paticular thread about getting your daughter a Ferrari etc was sooooooooo funny im gunna print it and frame it as CLASSIC comeback material.
YOU should do standup.
Von..... if you dont think that scenario is scary, then you must have balls the as hard as steel and the size of watermelons.

Cheers

Last edited by Dukesterman; August 21st, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Dukesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:02 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

100mph in a 90 corner? I don't even get it. 90 what?
hicks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:50 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

Esl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks1098
100mph in a 90 corner? I don't even get it. 90 what?
Hicks,

There's nothing to get. Like almost everything Von posts, it makes little sense. Von has a very limited grasp of the English language.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)

Last edited by mrinflux; August 22nd, 2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:57 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

R1 vs 1098 heat. post hijack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG ETR
So I am riding home for lunch today and I accelerate in 2nd gear to about 4000 rpms and let off for upcoming traffic, but the bike stayed at 4000 rpms even when I had released the throttle!! I pushed it foward to make sure the actual grip wasn't stuck, but it was back on neutral position!! I pulled the clutch in and the revvs SLOWLY dropped to 2000, but then stayed there and as soon as I let out the clutch and accelerated again they would stay at whatever RPM I let off at!! Finally I turned off the bike with the kill switch and restarted it and had the same thing happen. Then I tried turning off the key (this is all while riding down a busy street) and turned it back on and the problem was gone, which leads me to believe it was somthing electronic (throttle position sensor??).

It was kinda scary since I was on one of the most busy streets here during lunch time... Any ideas guys?? Guess its just another thing to add to the list when I go for my 600 service...
Evan
hey evan

you said on one of my posts on heat that you would be interested in whether 1098 heat was same as R1. Well is it? I would be greatfull for you comments about it in traffic. Is it worse than R1?

cheers

greg

Ducati 1098S -2007 (Current)
Suzuki GSXR600 - 2007 (Current)

Prior Bikes
Honda cbr600rr - 2007
Ducati 999 - 2005
Suzuki GSXR-1000 -2006 K6
Yamaha R1 -2003
Ducati 748 -2001
Honda CBR600F -2001
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Put about 50 miles on after the incident yesterday and nothing else happened... I am at 550 miles and will have them look into this during 600 mile service....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby
hey evan

you said on one of my posts on heat that you would be interested in whether 1098 heat was same as R1. Well is it? I would be greatfull for you comments about it in traffic. Is it worse than R1?
The 1098 is very similar heat wise to the R1, except the 1098 gets to that point quicker and stays there longer. Same type temp. just for a longer period on the 1098. I would say overall the heat is worse on the 1098, but if you can take the R1's heat the 1098 will be no problem!
Regards,
Evan
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My Loyal Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux

I await your response.

Your humble follower,

Elton
I am currently on my 4200 mile mark. Newbie title was gone about 2500.. quickstudy, yes maybe I was built to ride a superbike. Maybe.... Just now finding out.! Please feel free to visit CHICAGO anytime and maybe I can finally shut your A$$ up.. If you want to know what I'm afraid of: It's dying and not living life like I want to live it.. A Famous man once said....... "Weather u think u can or u can't u are right" Well, I think I can ride this 1098 to the best of MY ability.
Yeah, We both Like Ducs, but that probally where it end. U can continue to follow me and post smart a$$ comments behind every post... Remember I'm ride a 1098...

TALK IS CHEAP AND I BACK MINE...
U haven't already proved you don't.
Shoot, I'm still waiting to see the Boat & the F430...

My loyal follower Elton ... I hope to ride with you soon... I have the perfect road for us to ride on.... Once again I bet u just Talkin cheap again.

GOD DID NOT MAKE US WITH ANY FEARS...

It's no time to be scared when u have a problem.... No time!

The only reason I reach 100 silly was bc the throttle was stuck
However that was 2 months ago and I have since see some good triple digit numbers....

Contradiction I think not, I'm reevaluating still in my first year of riding..

Track days here I come...

Last edited by von1098; August 22nd, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
von1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Ignoring the amusing but senseless portion of the thread in the middle - AMG ETR - definitely get it checked - your much luckier then I was with a throttle sticking situation.

My throttle mishap resulted in a busted collarbone and some (luckily) minor damage to my race prepped r6.

In my case it turned out to be faulty sizing on a new glove. The Held gloves with thick kangaroo palms kept me from fully releasing my throttle.

I was at Thunderhill, coming down the back straight and breaking for the hairpin turn - imagine downshifting and breaking from 130 for a 60 mile an hour turn - only to find the bike isnt shifting weight forward, and the rear end is pushing you hard - in a split second as I reached for the clutch I was pitched in the air since my lightly weighted front tire locked up and a high side occurred.

Luckily the bike slammed hard on one side, my frame sliders and my sato pegs took the brunt of the damage and the bike slid instead of flopped. Count your blessings and get that looked at ASAP. I regressed my throttle and cables and checked everything (and validated it was a glove issue) before I rode that bike again.

-d
ducatidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM   #13

No ducatis in the registry

Held

Yeah, love them but don't you just love the extra length in the thumbs when you start or turn???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidave
Ignoring the amusing but senseless portion of the thread in the middle - AMG ETR - definitely get it checked - your much luckier then I was with a throttle sticking situation.

My throttle mishap resulted in a busted collarbone and some (luckily) minor damage to my race prepped r6.

In my case it turned out to be faulty sizing on a new glove. The Held gloves with thick kangaroo palms kept me from fully releasing my throttle.

I was at Thunderhill, coming down the back straight and breaking for the hairpin turn - imagine downshifting and breaking from 130 for a 60 mile an hour turn - only to find the bike isnt shifting weight forward, and the rear end is pushing you hard - in a split second as I reached for the clutch I was pitched in the air since my lightly weighted front tire locked up and a high side occurred.

Luckily the bike slammed hard on one side, my frame sliders and my sato pegs took the brunt of the damage and the bike slid instead of flopped. Count your blessings and get that looked at ASAP. I regressed my throttle and cables and checked everything (and validated it was a glove issue) before I rode that bike again.

-d
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

The Helds are nice - great material, but the net effect wasnt positive. I now have Helimot gloves custom made, went with a custom suit too. Im not an off-the-rack kind of guy - amazing how the right fit can improve comfort and performance.
ducatidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

whole miles

Quote:
I am currently on my 4200 mile mark.
Von,

4,200 miles??!!!!! Wow!! That's incredible! Are you sure? Were those linear miles? What was I thinking?! With 4,200 miles under your belt, you truly are a seasoned veteran. My bad.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)

Last edited by mrinflux; August 22nd, 2007 at 12:58 PM.