CMC Rotors and Pads... - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

CMC Rotors and Pads...

Who knows anything about CMC rotors and special brakes pads?

I heard that CMC rotors can't use regualar brake pads, like our OEM, is this true? If so, can whatever brake pads that are required for CMC (ie. Ferodo so I hear) be used with OEM rotors too?

One other thing, is there a special practice when breaking in CMC rotors? I hear that new rotors need to be broken in with new pads, regardless of what type. After the 1st set of new pads are done, it doesn't matter after that?

Confusing? That's cause I too am confused...
Remove Ads
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Banned

CMC is going to be the best money you can spend on reducing weight on the front wheel for sure. They use special pads that are 100 bux a caliper. It get broken in just like braking in a set of race pads and mating to the new rotors. Once those pads are used up and ready for another set just break in again like you did the first time reguardless of what anyones says, there is no real difference between breaking in race pads for the CMC, iron rotors, or carbon ceramic.
DTM-POW3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Site sponsor

Drop Brake Tech an email, sure they will answer all your questions. You must use special pads and brake them in, all piece of cake. They stop on a dime and don't need to get hot as it has been years ago, instant full braking power and nearly no brake dust at all.

Best rotors I ever had

Last edited by SHIFT-TECH; January 1st, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
SHIFT-TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT-TECH View Post
Drop Brake Tech an email, sure they will answer all your questions. You must use special pads and brake them in, all piece of cake. They stop on a dime and don't need to get hot as it has been years ago, instant full braking power and nearly no brake dust at all.

Best rotors I ever had
Excellent suggestion...I dunno why I didn't think of that, thanks Guido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM-POW3R View Post
CMC is going to be the best money you can spend on reducing weight on the front wheel for sure. They use special pads that are 100 bux a caliper. It get broken in just like braking in a set of race pads and mating to the new rotors. Once those pads are used up and ready for another set just break in again like you did the first time reguardless of what anyones says, there is no real difference between breaking in race pads for the CMC, iron rotors, or carbon ceramic.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is meant by "mating the pads to the rotors"? How do you break in pads? Just go easier on the brakes for 1st few miles?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Banned

Basically, don't generate much heat into them. Its really best to bed them in on the track if you know what your doing by going super slow since theres no traffic, but just gently (like 60% max) use them for the first 30-50 miles of twisty riding and get progressively harder/longer each time you touch the lever allowing it time to cool inbetween each application of the brakes.
Also use an entire can of brake cleaner or similar to hose off the rotors and the pads before you use them.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM   #6

They definitely feel wierd at first, and do definitely need appropriate pads. IIRC the pads were pretty pricy too. But I've put 7K street clicks on and the pads are still in great shape, as are the rotors. I love that they never squeak or squeal either

I broke them in in a reasonable manner, kinda light on them the first 100K or so; they got progressively stronger until that point where it was a very noticable difference.

2 fingers even in emergency situations, any more would be total overkill.

But again, that's just a street guy's report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeegle View Post
Who knows anything about CMC rotors and special brakes pads?

I heard that CMC rotors can't use regualar brake pads, like our OEM, is this true? If so, can whatever brake pads that are required for CMC (ie. Ferodo so I hear) be used with OEM rotors too?

One other thing, is there a special practice when breaking in CMC rotors? I hear that new rotors need to be broken in with new pads, regardless of what type. After the 1st set of new pads are done, it doesn't matter after that?

Confusing? That's cause I too am confused...
duckilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Those CMC's are the dogs!!

Think the thread needs a pic! Here ya go..
For those that have missed out in life I give you CMC discs (rotors)..

Last edited by arthurbikemad; January 2nd, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
arthurbikemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Banned

Yeah, there absoutely gorgeous, espically combined with BST's. A nice way to spend $5500 lol
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #9

They are beautiful, but the negative was the time it took to heat up. This is 2nd hand reporting from me about an experienced bike/track rider who went back to his oem brakes. They took time to heat up which made the first few lap dicy, but then they came in to their own which was described as unbelievable stopping power but he said you have to stay cognisant of the braking power you have! He had come down the back straight of Calabogie and rider caused him to have to emergency brake finding him looking down at the ashphalt in an amazing stoppie, that was enough for him to go back. I was told they are not very good in the rain as well!? That being said I still want to try them!

Actually I have to digress, I just realized that the rider in question had full carbon brakes.
Tony Stufko #198 www.stufkoracing.com
2011 Sponsors: Royal Distributing, MBP, Acceptable Storage, KS on the Keys, Windmill Motorsports, Monette Sports, Ottawa Dodge, EBC Brakes, Armour Bodies, Dunlop, Ottawa Yamaha, Valley Sales and Equipment.

Last edited by torch; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: writing before thinking!
torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM   #10

Damn 2400 for the rotors and pads, that is pricey. If I had it, I would pull the trigger and buy them. So much money placed into master cylinders when the stocker on this bike is wonderful.
devulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

We need a group buy.
greggreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I need a group loan..:S
arthurbikemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #13
Banned

More like a group giveaway
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

+1
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #15
Site sponsor

I hear you, probably not to many out there are ready to lay out 2k's right now for some rotors.
SHIFT-TECH is offline   Reply With Quote