2008 CBR 1000rr Vs 2008 1098s - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

Come on guys, don't tell them to get 1098. Too many of them on the road already.
Please get Hondas, so you won't fill up this board with complains.
boduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #17

RC61 is what I heard also. It'll depends on the price. I would say with 5-7 grand, I would go with the duc. the resale value is higher.
Ducati Red 998 (sold)
Honda Red/Black RC-51 (sold)
Honda Yellow/Black929 (sold)
Kawasaki Red Ninja ZX-7 (sold)
Kawasaki Green/Black Ninja ZX-6E (sold)
ansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

One of my riding buddies has a new cbr with a full system and power commander. We traded rides 2 weeks ago on a Sunday ride segment. Afterwards, I was really glad to get back on my bike , but he was pissed because now he has to go buy a 1098.
Stalling issues(and $) aside, get the Duc.
paul sonderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[1198]

I think if you got the 1098, eventually, you'll want to sell the RC51 at which point you could get a CBR1000.
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

I had an 05 1000rr ,not a patch on the ducati for pure sports but probably a better all rounder.also had an rc51 trade it for the duc you won't miss it.
paddyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

I was just blasting up the Tollway when a guy on a CBR 1000RR pulled up next to me. He pulled up next to me, not me next to him !! He said at a toll it was an 06. We ran them as fast as we could due to traffic (115-120) I know the Honda's are fast, but so what.........they aren't DUC's my friends.
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #22

Get the Honda. Just browse through this forum you will find tons of complains about Ducati, but not a single Honda complain. Get the 1000RR pleaseeee.
boduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #23

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Oh, so you want a complaint about the Honda. No problem! I have owned two RC51s and liked them both, but both where very heavy with very little to change in the way of weight savings. I really liked my '04, but that ship sank. In reallity, an RC51 is a boat anchor. The Ducati is MUCH lighter and you can buy a slew of performance parts to lighten it up even more. Other than my 1098S I currently own an '05 R1. A good bike, but doesn't handle as well as the Ducati, and lets be honest, jap bikes are generic. Fact!
Big Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Duke
In reallity, an RC51 is a boat anchor.
The RC51 was introduced almost 8 years ago; comparing it to the 1098 is quaint, but stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Duke
...jap bikes are generic. Fact!
Given your infatuation, I suspect this is your first Italian bike.
SeaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain101
Is is worth it getting a 1098s or should i stick with the 1000rr?
NightTrain,

My thoughts on your dilemma:

First off, let me say that I love all bikes. Scooters, standards, cruisers, sportbikes, touring bikes, old British junk,... if it's got two wheels and an engine, I love it. But having said that, like any motorhead, I love some bikes more than others. And in the end, there's really no rhyme or reason as to why I like some bikes more than others. It's a "gut" thing. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal taste.

I mention this only because I think you should ask yourself, "Between the 1098 and the CBR, which bike do I like more?" Take the stall/mechanical issues out of the picture. I'm talking in a perfect world, where both bikes run perfect, with no mechanical issues. In that perfect world, which bike do you like more? The 1098 or the CBR? Which bike appeals to you more? Which bike do you think is cooler? That's an important consideration. If it were me, I'd buy the bike I like more, on a visceral level, regardless of mechanical or performance issues.

Ok, having said that, let me address your concerns about the mechanical problems being bantered about on the forum. The 1098 is a racing bike. It won't run right without a full racing exhaust system, a racing air filter, and a richer fuel map. The OEM exhaust and ECU get the bike though customs, but the stock ECU is too lean and the stock exhaust is too restictive. Without a free-flowing racing exhaust and an adjustable racing ECU, you'll never get your 1098 to run right. It will stall at idle, especially when it's hot, it'll run too lean, and it won't breathe properly. I run the Full Termignoni system 'cause it's the system Ducati designed for the bike, (and when I took delivery it was the only full system available!), but other manufacturers are coming out with full systems also. Some of these will no doubt prove to be as good or better than the Termi system. I don't have any particular bias towards Termignoni; I just know that the 1098 needs to have a full racing exhaust on it in order to run right. So if you're gonna go with a 1098, you really have to factor a full system into your budget. And that's another $3,000 dollars on top of an already expensive MSRP. Just something to consider.

Even with a full racing exhaust, the 1098 will not run right in stop-and-go traffic, in the city, in town, or driving around slowly. The 1098 has a large, high performance engine encased in body works, with a small radiator, (water is heavy!), and a low capacity water pump. At slow speeds, in traffic, in town, even driving behind cars on county roads at 45 MPH, the 1098 starts to run hot very quickly. Very hot. I mention this because you need to think about what kind of riding you're gonna do. If you live in a congested area and do lots of city/town/cruiser riding, the CBR will suit your needs better than the 1098. The 1098 is like a thoroughbred race horse. It's designed to be ridden hard and fast. Riding it fast pushes more air through the small radiator. Riding it hard spins the small water pump faster, pushing more of the limited water supply throug the engine block. The harder and faster you ride the 1098, the cooler it runs. I like to keep my temp under 170. In order to do this, I have to keep the bike at speeds over 75MPH. Slower than that and the temp starts to creep up, rather quickly, into the 190 to 200 range. In traffic or in town, the temp will skyrocket over 200 in just a couple of minutes. Heat is an engine's worst enemy. Once the 1098 starts running hot, it starts running poorly. The CBR, with it's bigger radiator and higher capacity water pump, has no such problems. At least not on the scale the 1098 does. So, if you're gonna go with the 1098, you have to be prepared for this and ride accordingly. If you buy a 1098 and don't put a racing exhaust system on it, (Full, not slip-ons!), and you do a lot of stop-and-go riding, or slow riding, your new 1098 is gonna run like crap and you're not gonna be a happy Ducati camper!

As for other mechanical problems,...I don't put much stock in that. A couple of complaints about throttle sticking...whatever. That could happen to anybody, could be caused by a hundred different things, (including operator error), and could happen on any bike. And yeah, a few 1098 batteries have caught fire, (happened to my friend last weekend), but I wouldn't worry about that. I think these are isolated problems, not systemic. Don't forget, the CBR could have problems also. Not as likely, but certainly possible.

Another consideration: The Ducati is much more expensive to service, maintain, and repair. This is offest, (a bit), by the fact that the 1098 will hold it's value much better than the CBR, (or any other Japanese bike, for that matter), but it's something to think about. Ducati's are expensive to repair. Very expensive. I've paid over $1,000 dollars for tune-ups more than once, and once paid $2,200! I know Ducati is talking about reduced maintenance costs, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Ducatis are expensive. And it often takes a long time to get parts, to get your bike fixed, etc...It's not like a Honda, where you ride it in, the dealer has the necessary parts in stock, your bike gets fixed in a couple of days, the charge is not too ridiculous, and you're on your way. No such luck with Ducati. All the shops I know are hopelessly behind. I've had my Ducs sit at the shop, sometimes for a month or two, before the tech even looks at it! And then you wait for parts. And then you finally get your bike back. But not before you pay an insane amount of money for this privilege!

Finally, there is the whole Ducati approach to designing, building, marketing, and selling a motorcycle, as compared to the Japanese manufacturers. It's very different, and you should think about this before you decide on the Ducati. Ducati is a, (relatively), small company that hand-builds 10 to 20 thousand motorcycles a year. In contrast, each of the Japanese manufacturers mass produce about a half million motorcycles yearly. Mass production sacrifices exclusivity and high-end quality but often enhances reliablility, especially the way the Japanese do it. Japanese bikes aren't pretty or sexy or interesting, but they're reliable. They start evey time you turn the key. That's why I drive a Toyota rather than an Alfa Romeo.

Perhaps an example would help illustrate the contrast: It became apparent in the mid nineties that the charging system Ducati installed on the 907ie (and, to a lesser extent, the 900ss), was inadequate. The clock and ECU and fuel pump drew too much power and the regulator didn't generate enough power to re-charge the battery! So even when operating perfectly, the charging system didn't really work. As you rode around, you slowly but surely drained your battery. A Japanese manufacturer would have acknowledged this problem and fixed it with more efficient components and/or a better regulator. Ducati's solution?: Buy a Battery Tender! I'm not kidding! That was their answer! No re-design, no nothing. Just go out and buy a battery tender! That's the kind of reasoning you're dealing with when you deal with Ducati. And in fact, this forum is proof of this. One crazy story after another.

Having said that, let me tell you another anectode. I learned to ride and grew up on Japanese bikes. When I rode my first Ducati, (a loaner from a friend), I was riding a Kawasaki KZ 1100. (I still own it and I still love it. I never ride it anymore, but it's a cool piece of machinery.) The first Ducati I rode was a 907ie, (I now own three of them!). I couldn't believe it! Nothing I had ever ridden felt like this! It blew me away. I was hooked in a matter of minutes. It was so smooth, had such good brakes, handled so damn good, and looked so cool! My KZ could run circles around the 907, but I didn't give a hoot. I immediately fell in love with the 907, and I've been a Ducati nut ever since. That's what I mean when I talk about "visceral."

I know you're in Iraq right now and have other things on your plate, but I strongly recommend you ride a Ducati before you decide. It's not for everybody. The V twin engine is a very different thing than an in-line four. Gobs of torgue and very linear power, but not the arm-wrenching acceleration you get when an in-line 4 hits 5000 RPM. You'll have to decide which kind of power delivery you prefer.

And the way the Ducati handles! Wow! Nothing handles like a Ducati. Nothing. Period. I like to go fast, so speed is important. But I like to go fast in the turns, so handling is even more important. I still remember thinking, "Yeah, my KZ is faster than the 907, but I think I can ride faster on the 907 'cause it handles so damn well!" You know, since I bought that first 907ie, (and then two more!), and now the 1098S, I haven't ridden my Kawasaki once.

The Ducati is not for everybody. There's lots of people who bought Ducs who really didn't understand what they were buying and now they're unhappy. And lots of them are here on the forum!

In the end, you really can't go wrong. Having to choose between a 1098 and a CBR is a choice that few people get to make. Either way, you end up with a great bike. For me, it's a no-brainer - you get the 1098. But to each his own. That's why they paint cars different colors.

Be safe, both in Iraq and when you get your new bike!

Peace, Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green)
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R (Red/Silver)
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducati 907ie w/ worked engine (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)

Last edited by mrinflux; August 31st, 2007 at 12:45 PM.
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

[QUOTE=SeaPilot]The RC51 was introduced almost 8 years ago; comparing it to the 1098 is quaint, but stupid.

Well seeing as how you never owned an RC51 I don't doubt you wouldn't understand.
Last one I owned was an '04. Even after four years it was heavy. One would think the japs would have learned. This doesn't mean I dislike jap bikes. I just don't want to deal with the lack of variety.

This is the first one I have owned, but not the first I have purchased. I have bought three Ducatis and an Aprilia for my brother. I always told him that if Ducati came out with a model I really liked I would buy one. Kudos to Ducati for designing a great bike.

Last edited by Big Duke; August 31st, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
Big Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux
And the way the Ducati handles! Wow! Nothing handles like a Ducati. Nothing. Period. I like to go fast, so speed is important. But I like to go fast in the turns, so handling is even more important.
My thoughts exactly. Good read. Having owned only Japanese I-4's until my 1098s, I didn't know any better. I thought my modded R1 was nimble for a liter bike, but it's a pig compared to my stock 1098s, even before I dialed it in! Ducati takes dedication, which is something I was prepared for when buying it. So far no problems and an exhaust is up next.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[848]

I have both 1098s and an 07 HRC BLADE ..... both fanatastic bikes. The 1098s is a Ducati nothing more needs to be said. The Blade is probably the bike with the most development on the road at the moment and my tool of choice for general riding, commuting and touring.

No-one could be dissapointed with either......
r6blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

HRC blade? Never heard of it
hicks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM   #30
Jet

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I think I must be a bit like Elton. My Ducati (and I'm a new owner) speaks to me in a way that other bikes don't and mine is a base model bone stock. I can't argue one way or another about the full exhaust issue because so far, mine is ok although it has stalled from time to time. Each time it has fired right back up and one time I think it was because I just didn't give it enough rpm coming away from the light and let the clutch out maybe a little more than I should have so that was operator error, not the the fault of the bike. I have the same heat issues he discussed too.

I like all motorcycles; street, dirt, sport, cruiser, racer, whatever and I'm a huge fan of old style flat track racing. When I bought my 1098, I sort of expected some quirks although much like Harley-Davidson, I did think they had improved the breed from back in the old 250 Diana days or the 750 and 900ss air-cooled models. Elton has a lot more experience with the breed than I do but I think we are both on the same wavelength when it comes to buying what YOU WANT. If you want a bike that requires virtually no maintenance, something you can hop on, take off, bring it back and just park it till the next time, I think a Japanese brand is probably the way to go. That is why I was seriously considering the GSXR-1000, the Hayabusa and even the new Kawasaki Concours 14. From my experience, they require very little in the way of care and feeding. But I've sort of been there, done that and wanted something different, a new experience and since I tend to hold my purchases for a very long time, the Ducati seemed like the bike that would combine the looks, the sound, the performance and dare I say it, the "cache" that others simply don't have. It is sort of like buying a Corvette or a Ferrari I guess. The Corvette might actually be a "better" car but it will never be a Ferrari. Pick your poison. In fact, yesterday I took my Kawasaki ZX-11 out just to compare the difference. I used to think the ZX was a bit of a pig because of the weight but having ridden my 1098, I now appreciate the ZX more for the comfort and flexibility it affords me despite the weight. Now on my Ducati, I've already lost one fairing screw and almost lost my license plate too which I assume is due to vibration so in that sense, it reminds me a little of my old BSAs and Triumphs and that, at least for me, is a good thing. Things like that never happened on any of my Japanese bikes and that even goes back to things like the old Suzuki Water Buffalo (the GT750 Lemans). Like my old Brit bikes, the Ducati has a certain character about it that makes it special to me.

For what it is worth, my nephew was in a similar pickle and bought a CBR 1000RR and he absolutely loves it. It was the right choice for him because of how he rides, his maintenance skills (or lack thereof) and even his ability to take his wife out on it. It was a great choice for him and he's never looked back. In all honesty, I don't think buying a Ducati would have been an enjoyable experience for him at this point in his life. Maybe in the future, but just not now. You will have to decide what is most important to you now, what your likes, dislikes, abilities, wallet, etc. can stand. With the way top-line motorcycles are these days, I don't see how you could be very unhappy with just about any of them.

Respectfully,

Jet
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote