1198S Sump Plug / Oil Filler Plug - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1198S Sump Plug / Oil Filler Plug

Hi Guys -

I lobbed up to my friendly local Ducati dealer to (hopefully) buy a replacement sump plug for my 1198S. I've read too many stories about stripped out sump plugs, so I wanted to get something with a standard bolt on the base.

They sold me one of these:

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-...g-p-29232.html

After I double checked, I saw that this plug is actually an oil filler plug, not an oil drain plug... DOH..

I also noticed that after looking around, that the sump plug and the filler plug appear to have the same size head (19mm) and a very similar looking thread.

Can somebody tell me if these are interchangeable? It seems a little silly to use one of these an oil filler plug, and if it can be used on the sump instead that would be great.

Please note I've got an 1198S. I've been reading about deep sumps etc etc, and I'm lost..

Thanks guys.
kryten2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

They may be interchangable but only the sump plug will have the magnet on the end of it.

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc63 View Post
They may be interchangable but only the sump plug will have the magnet on the end of it.

+1...listen to Brett...
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4

get the nirvana sump plug that has an earth magnet and a socket bolt type. also they come in a package, drain plug/ filler cap.

http://www.nirvanamotorsports.com/du...-and-r-models/
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_1098s View Post
get the nirvana sump plug that has an earth magnet and a socket bolt type. also they come in a package, drain plug/ filler cap.

http://www.nirvanamotorsports.com/du...-and-r-models/
Nice form Nivana
k1099s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Streetfighter S]

Don't over torque the Nirvana drain plugs. It's in the instructions that nobody bothers to read. They are intended to be safety wired, which is a good idea, anyway.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten2001 View Post
Hi Guys -

I lobbed up to my friendly local Ducati dealer to (hopefully) buy a replacement sump plug for my 1198S. I've read too many stories about stripped out sump plugs, so I wanted to get something with a standard bolt on the base.

They sold me one of these:

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-...g-p-29232.html

After I double checked, I saw that this plug is actually an oil filler plug, not an oil drain plug... DOH..

I also noticed that after looking around, that the sump plug and the filler plug appear to have the same size head (19mm) and a very similar looking thread.

Can somebody tell me if these are interchangeable? It seems a little silly to use one of these an oil filler plug, and if it can be used on the sump instead that would be great.

Please note I've got an 1198S. I've been reading about deep sumps etc etc, and I'm lost..

Thanks guys.
As far as stripping bolt issues, you probably have read about the issued people were having with the 4 bolts holding the bottom square plate at the bottom of the deep sump, I believe Ducati has fixed that issue with different bolts all together by using allen socket instead the button head used on earlier models. I'm sure your bike doesn't have that problem.
2010 1198S Corse (sold)
2010 SF S (sold)
2012 Multi S PP (sold)

2006 999s

God bless our troops, especially our snipers!
La Rossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rossa View Post
As far as stripping bolt issues, you probably have read about the issued people were having with the 4 bolts holding the bottom square plate at the bottom of the deep sump, I believe Ducati has fixed that issue with different bolts all together by using allen socket instead the button head used on earlier models. I'm sure your bike doesn't have that problem.
La Rossa is right. I encountered the problem myself and just replaced them with SS ones. Never had any issues with the drain plug....
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rossa View Post
Absolutely correct.
Ciao
lucky phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #10

I had the same problem with the 4 bolts on my Tri, I ditched the factory crap and countersunk the plate to fit flush mount stainless allen heads. I did this because I have seen a couple of bikes catch the protruding bolts on things and tear a piece out of the crankcase. Usually happens loading onto a trailer or over tall speed bumps...... Nasty/expensive result that won't be happening to mine!