Re: 1098 Engine Warn-Up Time - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Re: 1098 Engine Warn-Up Time

How long should you wait after starting a cold 1098 engine before going for a ride?

I've been advised to wait until the coolant temp is 130F. This allows the oil to heat up, but more importantly, for the engine metal to get to a good operating temp as well. Is this a good starting point or is anyone else waiting for 150F-160F?

Curious to get your thoughts. Thanks for your reply.
theloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I roll mine out the driveway in the morning so as not to wake the Misses up and start it at the end of the drive in 1st gear and begin riding. Rolling start, keep the rpm low until I hit the interstate.
panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman
I roll mine out the driveway in the morning so as not to wake the Misses up and start it at the end of the drive in 1st gear and begin riding. Rolling start, keep the rpm low until I hit the interstate.
Noise is a problem. My Termi's sound soooo sweet to me on Sunday mornings as I'm warming up for my ride - - - - My neighbor has gone out of his way and given me a not so freindly look though, I don't think he likes it as much.
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

adequate warm-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloz
How long should you wait after starting a cold 1098 engine before going for a ride?
Loz,

The only really critical moment is the first second or so, immediately after start-up, before you have full oil pressure. It's during this initial start-up moment, when oil has not yet reached the crank journals and camshaft assembly, that most engine wear and damage occurs. Once you have oil pressure, you can ride gently until you reach normal operating temperature.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green)
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R (Red/Silver)
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducati 907ie w/ worked engine (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

+1
paddyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux
Loz,

The only really critical moment is the first second or so, immediately after start-up, before you have full oil pressure. It's during this initial start-up moment, when oil has not yet reached the crank journals and camshaft assembly, that most engine wear and damage occurs. Once you have oil pressure, you can ride gently until you reach normal operating temperature.

Elton
Great advice. I appreciate it.
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

fwiw

I always wait until the temp reading changes from “Lo” to 104° F before I ride. Why? Nothing scientific, it just seems like a good idea… I start mine in the garage—pissing off the missus, as well!—after I’ve donned my jacket and back pack. By the time I put on my lid and gloves, it’s reached 104° F and off I go.
FlyerLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[1198]

It takes me almost five minutes of low rpm criuising to get a radiator display and another 3 minutes till I'm at 140 -and that's running the engine around 3-4K rpm!
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #9

No ducatis in the registry

Both

I've been told 130 on my 999S by my tech as well. It's a good guideline that can't hurt if you have the time...otherwise just baby it until you hit 130, kind of like these guys are saying. Techs start and stop the bikes all day and sometimes (like track days when you're in a class and need to gear up and get out there) you just don't have time.

The other thing that has been advised to me is, if you start it, keep it running until it hits at least 180 degrees before shutting down. For instance after a wash when you want to burn off all the water. Don't shut it down until you have let it get to that point if you can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloz

I've been advised to wait until the coolant temp is 130F. This allows the oil to heat up, but more importantly, for the engine metal to get to a good operating temp as well. Is this a good starting point or is anyone else waiting for 150F-160F?

Curious to get your thoughts. Thanks for your reply.
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I always wait untill the RPM bars stop "jumping" and settle on one speed...
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I just wait for mine to stall.
EachItAndI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Probably not a good idea to let the bike (or any engine) idle to warm up before riding off. Just get on and ride straight away, but take it easy until the oil warms up. The reason for this strategy is to to minimize fuel dilution which is greatest when the engine is cold because the bike runs rich until it's warmed up. Fuel dilution greatly increases metal wear, especially the piston rings and cylinder walls.

An oil analysis will show the fuel dilution number. Anyone care to post their oil report?
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote