1098S Racing - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098S Racing

My Son will be racing a 1098S in the South African National Series. We run the same rules as WSB Superstocks 1000. We have the bike which is currently being stripped for local homologation. Is anyone else race prepping one? What have you done thus far? I have been told that there is no Power Commamnder as yet. Does anyone know if there is an alternate to the Power Commander? Any tips at this early stage would be most welcome.
Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #2

Hi Uncle,

I race in a satellite Ducati team in Australia. We'll be working with Ducati Australia to get the bikes sorted but, sadly, we won't even see them for a while yet.

You guys in South Africa are very lucky to host the launch (the track looks awesome as well).

More than happy to share any development ideas with you as we get them.

What's your son's name and has he been racing Ducati's for a while?
radial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Do you guys have an update on the powercomander?
bdaroci2010 likes this.

2006 GSXR 600
2008 Duc 1098S
2008 Hyper 1098S
2010 BMW S1000RR the ▄berbike!
Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #4
slob

Radial, do you know if the Ulitimap U59 will work on the 1098?
http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/
It is said to be better than Power commander.
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5

Ready for the world superstock championship.

Ducati doesn't fit a Power commander, Not allowed in that class, but the proper map race by race on the Marelli CPU.

1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #6
slob

The UltiMap U59 ECU is a plug-in replacement for the Weber Marelli 5.9M ECU fitted to many late model Ducati motorcycles. The ECU comes pre-loaded with a map to suit a given model, but can be re-programmed using our diagnostic PC software to suit any other model. We supply maps for slip-on mufflers to cover most Ducati models from 2001 to 2007.
Not only is the ECU supplied pre-mapped for most applications, it is also fully adjustable using our comprehensive mapping software. All major parameters can be adjusted, including fuel map, rear cylinder fuel map, injector phase map, ignition advance map, rev limit, warmup corrections, and many other more detailed functions.

Every map we supply is developed in-house using our own brake dyno and high-speed data-recording equipment, both on the dyno and also on the road or track. We record all engine data direct from the ECU, and also collect data from wide-range exhaust oxygen sensors (lambda sensors) mounted on each cylinder.

The U59 ECU can be fully tuned and diagnosed with our own software, but in addition it is backwards-compatible with Ducati's own diagnostic tools such as the Mathesis Tester, the DDS, and also other aftermarket programs such as Technoresearch MDST or VDSTS. In the case of these systems, not all of the U59 functions are available, and downloading maps is not possible, but basic setup such as CO Trimming and TPS resets can be performed on the U59 using these alternate tools. So any Ducati dealer with the normal in-house tools can install and adjust the U59 easily.
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #7

Hi 1098,

Bike looks good! What are you allowed to do to the 1098S in your class. Is the bike race ready? Do you know what is weighs?
I see your running Dunlops, the 190/60 ?? How does that fit with the swingarm, is there enough clearence?

Good luck, best wishes
GoStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

What bodywork are you running? I've checked with Hotbodies and they haven't finished with their offering yet.
DUCMILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoStuart
Hi 1098,

Bike looks good! What are you allowed to do to the 1098S in your class. Is the bike race ready? Do you know what is weighs?
I see your running Dunlops, the 190/60 ?? How does that fit with the swingarm, is there enough clearence?

Good luck, best wishes

I'm sorry, but i'm not involved with the team of the bike of the pic.
We are in the superbike series.

Anyway the superstock are not allowed to do much: no data recording, no special fuel, and no slick tires, no special forks, and no special brakes. Are allowed just exhausts (original bike look), fiberglass fairings and rear shocks.
The engine must be like the market one.
In the world superbike and superstock series, only Pirelli tires are allowed, and any pilot can ask for the tires of somebody else, to make sure the tires are all the same quality.
The last qualified driver can ask and get the tires of Troy Bayliss, Troy Corser, Haga or anybody else.

Anyway here in europe you can already find almost all the aftermarket parts for streetbikes and for races, about the Duc 1098.
Last week end we have had a big exposition in Padova, north east Italy, about aftermarkets and races, the Bike Expo.

www.bike-expo.it

Last edited by 1098; January 28th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Rod

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
The UltiMap U59 ECU is a plug-in replacement for the Weber Marelli 5.9M ECU fitted to many late model Ducati motorcycles. The ECU comes pre-loaded with a map to suit a given model, but can be re-programmed using our diagnostic PC software to suit any other model. We supply maps for slip-on mufflers to cover most Ducati models from 2001 to 2007.
Not only is the ECU supplied pre-mapped for most applications, it is also fully adjustable using our comprehensive mapping software. All major parameters can be adjusted, including fuel map, rear cylinder fuel map, injector phase map, ignition advance map, rev limit, warmup corrections, and many other more detailed functions.

Every map we supply is developed in-house using our own brake dyno and high-speed data-recording equipment, both on the dyno and also on the road or track. We record all engine data direct from the ECU, and also collect data from wide-range exhaust oxygen sensors (lambda sensors) mounted on each cylinder.

The U59 ECU can be fully tuned and diagnosed with our own software, but in addition it is backwards-compatible with Ducati's own diagnostic tools such as the Mathesis Tester, the DDS, and also other aftermarket programs such as Technoresearch MDST or VDSTS. In the case of these systems, not all of the U59 functions are available, and downloading maps is not possible, but basic setup such as CO Trimming and TPS resets can be performed on the U59 using these alternate tools. So any Ducati dealer with the normal in-house tools can install and adjust the U59 easily.
When you say it is mapped to after market systems, if I say fitted an Akropovic full system to the 1098 as opposed to the full Termignoni system which comes with the DP ECU pre mapped, would your ECU replacement be configurable for this system and physically is it any different to the Magnetti Marelli ECU. I am a fussy so and so, so fit and finish are jusr a simportant to me, even though it's not a visible component. Any pics of the ECU you described? Where can I get hold of one or who is the supplier?

Last edited by Rod; January 28th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1098
I'm sorry, but i'm not involved with the team of the bike of the pic.
We are in the superbike series.

Anyway the superstock are not allowed to do much: no data recording, no special fuel, and no slick tires, no special forks, and no special brakes. Are allowed just exhausts (original bike look), fiberglass fairings and rear shocks.
The engine must be like the market one.
In the world superbike and superstock series, only Pirelli tires are allowed, and any pilot can ask for the tires of somebody else, to make sure the tires are all the same quality.
The last qualified driver can ask and get the tires of Troy Bayliss, Troy Corser, Haga or anybody else.

Anyway here in europe you can already find almost all the aftermarket parts for streetbikes and for races, about the Duc 1098.
Last week end we have had a big exposition in Padova, north east Italy, about aftermarkets and races, the Bike Expo.

www.bike-expo.it
Hi 1098,

What do you mean by 'race by race CPU map from Magnetti marelli'.
I read that there will be seven 1098S competing in the FIM Superstock 1000 cup. The first test of the Xerox Junior Team looked very impressive. Which team are you working with.

Best Regards
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #12

I'm with MV.
Race by race mens any circuit needs it's map. That map is uploadable on the CPU, but only one a time. I mean you can't upload many maps and switch them with a button or a switch during the race.
Xerox is the Official Ducati junior team, and the main driver Niccol˛ Canepa is the son of a very good friend of mine. We both live in Genua, north west Italy.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #13
slob

I've seen different cat. eliminators make a bike run diferently, I'd reckon a different system would too. If you want to compare some different set ups and get an idea about mapping Brad Black has documented a lot of his performance work on a site which is good reading.

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/index.html
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #14

Your able to reprogram the Magnetti marelli CPU, does this also include ingnition and rpm limiter? You work with MV, 2006 must have been a good year??? Any hopes for a MV World Superbike team??
I saw N. Canepa in action this year on the 749R, very impressive.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #15
slob

Hi Rob, the U59 G2.2 will run a 1098, but it does not have all of the required features for easy operation. The main difference is that the 1098 (and many other 2007 models) use an idle stepper motor to control the engine starting and idle speed. That's why there's no fast idle lever on these bikes. As the G2.2 U59 does not have the stepper motor control it will run the engine but it will not control the idle, which makes the bike tricky (but not impossible) to start, and it may also idel at low rpm when cold. It is possible to reset the airbleeds and base throttle position on the 1098 to overcome this, but it requires the efforts of a decent mechanic, and I would not attempt it at home.

We are presently working on the G2.3 version which will add stepper motor control. At this point it's a major revision, and therefore it will not be possible to retrofit the new boards to the 2.2 ECU. As I am in the middle of this I don't know when we'll have a release version of the ECU, so for now I would keep the 2.2 , and if you later want to get the 2.3, maybe sell the 2.2 on ebay or one of the mailing lists.

If you want to try your ECU with our base 1098 maps, I can email these to you (when they are completed) and you can get them flashed into the ECU by the people you bought it from.

regards,
Duane Mitchell
Director
UltiMap Pty.Ltd.
www.fuelinmoto.com.au
www.ultimap-ecu.com