Off road on the 1098...don't try it - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Off road on the 1098...don't try it

I knew better....It's a heavy truck traffic area where the surface is always black with oil/diesel, I had her on a massive lean angle as I rolled on the throttle and the back tire broke loose, I backed off and stood her up but I was heading for the gravel gore between two on-ramps. Like a first year rookie I fixated on the largest pothole in the area and hit it straight on. I was up on the pegs and the Ohlins did a great job but the hole was to deep, I heard and felt a "WUMP" then I was through, out of the gravel and on the other ramp. Taking it easy and coasting for a bit I was doing a mental check of myself and the bike, no vibrations, she was rolling/handling fine, she felt no worse for wear. Mad at myself and felling stupid and embarrassed I babied her home where I did an inspection. As you can see by the pics the wrap clearly saved the pipe but the case/sump took a hard hit as did the belly pan.

On a side note:
I had just changed to the Evoluzione throttle and was out on a test ride, I honestly think It's the only thing that kept the back tire from completely spinning up and causing the bike to spit me off. I have put off buying the throttle tube thinking "how much would it really help?" but let me tell everyone, I wish It had been my first mod. It makes a HUGE difference In power delivery, It feels like a different bike....In a very good way. IMO, if you just got your bike or are wondering what mods to make to your stock bike, this is it. I'm not kidding! I would even suggest getting the new throttle before a new exhaust. The 1098 has plenty of power in stock form and the new throttle will help control the no/off torque of this bike so much better. The bike is much more enjoyable to ride and much,much easier to ride In traffic, surprisingly It's even easier to start off In first gear.

Ben Franklin

Ten-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2

OUCH!!!!!

Glad you're okay, but good lesson(s) learned for all:

If you look there...you'll go there.

Maybe a knobby tire retrofit???

HORNETDRIVER
HORNETDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #3
tj3

That was a serious pothole!

More like a crater of some sort.
tj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

are wheels ok?
paddyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyduc
are wheels ok?

The wheels seem ok but I'm going to pull them off
and put them on a wheel balancer with a run-out
gage just to make sure.

Ben Franklin

Old September 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #6

Good save, Ten-6. Glad you kept the rubber side down. There is an exit ramp and frontage road leading to my favorite hunting ground with big dirt ditches on both sides. Every time I drive through I look for an exit strategy should I have to dive off-road. So far the only thing that would work is for the 1098 to do a movie stunt and turn into a Super Motard in mid-dive.

So what does the Evoluzione throttle do, actually?
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7

Like most after market throttle tubes(commonly called 1/4 turns) it has a cam
lobe profile where the cables attach as opposed to the stock round profile.
As you can see from the pics it has an almost flat start to the cable pull then
speeds up with a lobe about mid way. This causes you to have to turn the throttle
more to get he same input which greatly decreases the on/off light switch feel of
the bike's power delivery....you'll be amazed!

Ben Franklin

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

You whacked her pretty good. At least you only banged up some stuff on the belly.

I have had a couple off road excursions in the past (999s). Got caught in a right lane that ended , with a car to my left. Had to ride it through the gravel shoulder until I could find a driveway with pavement to get her back on the road. I just got light on the pegs and rode out the bumps, wasn't really that bad. The road sucks. But hey, Can't always get to a track to ride..........
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

ouch i bet you had to check your pants after that one! at least that filter cover is easily replaceable, that is if the bolt heads dont get rounded off. your so lucky it couldve been so much worse.

07 Ducati 1098
Desmo Duc is offline   Reply With Quote