Love my new 1198s - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Love my new 1198s

Thanks to all that post on this forum, the info. is very helpful. I've recently upgraded from 848 to 1198s. The 848 was great, but the 1198 is a kick in the pants. Loads of power just about everywhere. I was in the middle between a 2010 red, 2010 black, or 2009 red. They gave me the best deal on the 2009 red, so I took it. Beautiful bike, even better than my 848.

The Ohlins suspension is great and the Monobloc brakes are better than what comes on the 848. The monoblocs have more finesse.

The only problem I have is similar to others I've read about regarding lugging at take off. So far I've installed a 14 tooth front sprocket. This helped but didn't completely solve it. The dealer said that the Termi exhaust and new ECU may make a bigger difference. It is interesting that I didn't have the same problem with the 848, but of course I was used to it and it did have the Termi exhaust.

So I plan on getting the Termi slip-on exhaust at the 600 mile service and see what happens. I may experiment with putting the 15 tooth sprocket back on.
Attached Images

'06 S2R1000
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

congrats on the upgrade! bike is beautiful, i like you have the lugging and noticed even with the termi, i had the 14t installed at my 15k service and will report on how that is when i get it back, hopefully tomorrow, enjoy the new bike and ride safe!
2015 BMW S1000R white (sold)
2014 899 Panigale Red (sold)
2008 1098 Red (traded)
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 Black (sold)
guitarplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post

The only problem I have is similar to others I've read about regarding lugging at take off. So far I've installed a 14 tooth front sprocket. This helped but didn't completely solve it. The dealer said that the Termi exhaust and new ECU may make a bigger difference. It is interesting that I didn't have the same problem with the 848, but of course I was used to it and it did have the Termi exhaust.

So I plan on getting the Termi slip-on exhaust at the 600 mile service and see what happens. I may experiment with putting the 15 tooth sprocket back on.

I would think the 14T would make a bigger difference then the exhaust. I really don't have issue with my 1198 lugging, you just have to slip the clutch a little as you take off.

I just installed the new Termignoni slip ons this past weekend and I can tell you, I didn't notice any difference down low (lugging). Rode the same as it did with stock exhaust.

So my point is, don't buy the slip ons if you think that will solve your lugging issue.
You still may want to get them because the look and sound great, and you probably get a little more top end but don't let the dealer convince you that it will stop the lugging. If you really feel it is that bad they need to fix it under warrenty, and not talk you into spending more money on something that is not a fix to the problem.

//MRA #888 - Triple 8 Racing//
Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F
graphite675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1198 S]

Quote:

The new exhaust will make a big difference. It wont run nearly as hot. I dont know if it will make much difference off the line, you just got to get em moving.

Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Thanks for the input. I am planning on getting the Termi slip-ons anyway for the look and sound, and less heat. I can live with the lugging, especially with the 14 tooth sprocket.

As Smarty said I "just got to get em moving." I shall take off with a bit more attitude. With more miles I will probably adjust my clutch technique automatically as needed.

'06 S2R1000
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6

No ducatis in the registry

Great looking bike there Pickle, definitely enjoy the power and incredible braking.

Can I spend some of your hard earned money and suggest you go for the full race Termi system instead of just the slip ons? Heh heh.....

Also, dunno what to suggest about the lugging at launch other than to say you'll get better at clutch and throttle manipulation as it does take a certain amount of finesse. As everyone says about these rides, they aren't designed for in town schlepping about, rather high speeds at your favorite track.

Nice pic, looks awesome man!
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

The full system would be amazing, but wow, so expensive. Also, I would want the dealer to install the full system, where as I can install the slips myself.

'06 S2R1000
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]
[848]

Quote:
Thanks to all that post on this forum, the info. is very helpful. I've recently upgraded from 848 to 1198s. The 848 was great, but the 1198 is a kick in the pants. Loads of power just about everywhere. I was in the middle between a 2010 red, 2010 black, or 2009 red. They gave me the best deal on the 2009 red, so I took it. Beautiful bike, even better than my 848.

The Ohlins suspension is great and the Monobloc brakes are better than what comes on the 848. The monoblocs have more finesse.

Awesome bike! Mine shows up next week!!!! Did the dealer install the clutch cover and springs or did you upgrade already. Looks great!
garrettjkubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]
[748]

Great Bike! I have the '09 in Black. I also have the new Termi pipes (full system) and it doesn't fix the luggin' down low. You have to pour the freakin' gas to her!!!! It's a fine line between pullin' the front tire and not but trust me you won't have sluggish starts if you give her the gogo juice!!
SAT_DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Lugging

Getting the bike tuned (pc3) made a big difference to me. Still not 100% gone but most of it
s4bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettjkubiak View Post
Awesome bike! Mine shows up next week!!!! Did the dealer install the clutch cover and springs or did you upgrade already. Looks great!
I had the dealer do the clutch work the day I picked it up.
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT_DUC View Post
Great Bike! I have the '09 in Black. I also have the new Termi pipes (full system) and it doesn't fix the luggin' down low. You have to pour the freakin' gas to her!!!! It's a fine line between pullin' the front tire and not but trust me you won't have sluggish starts if you give her the gogo juice!!
I'm sure I'll get used to it. What was the deciding factor to get the full system over the slips?
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
I'm sure I'll get used to it. What was the deciding factor to get the full system over the slips?
The deciding factor for me to get the full over the slips was based off of lots of reasons.

1. Performance gain from the 70mm pipes was the main thing.

2. Increased exhaust flow

3. Sound (which you also get with the slip-on)

4. Fueling remap (also get with slip-on)

5. Eliminate Heat (also get with slip-on)

BUT, getting a slip-on just doesnt get you what the full system does.

Yes it is expensive, but so is the slip-ons...remember the saying "if your going to do something make sure it's done right" That applies in this situation.

If your going to spend $2000 on a slip-on you might as well spend a little more, and REALLY get what you pay for. Rather then spending alot of money for sound...you might as well spend a lot of money for sound AND performance!

Good luck!
You can't buy a Ducati lawnmower, jetski or trombone.

Last edited by Wa11er98S; July 26th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Wa11er98S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:

If you want more noise by going to a slip-on, be aware that it might be possible that your bike will run worse with the baffles out. The ECU's are programmed to pass Euro III with the baffles in, making them run even leaner with them out.

Of course with that, the next 10 posts are going to say "Mine runs great, blah, blah, blah".

So, I'm just letting you know how it works with mine, and if you have any concern, to actually take it back to the dealer and have them check the air/fuel on the gas analyzer and verify that both cylinders are running within specs.

My dealer told me, "They all run that way"
And sure enough, another dealer found other issues.
2010 Ducati 1198s Corse SE #008 steak knife
2006 Ducati ST3s (Nero Lucido) butter knife
1991 Suzuki GSXR1100 (Lucky Strike) dull knife
1966 Suzuki M15 (Red) are you kidding me!
-----
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography" Ambrose Bierce
Who is God?
God is an aging small bespectacled man, whose last words are, “Hey, watch this!” as he flips the switch to turn on the Large Hadron Collider to search for the Higgs Boson… in a previous Universe.
Mitico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4bones View Post
Getting the bike tuned (pc3) made a big difference to me. Still not 100% gone but most of it
considering its going to be to do with the bikes mapping this is always going to be the best way to get rid of it. Not sure why more ppl don't get them tuned!
jazza08 is offline   Reply With Quote