2008 1098s - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

Yo Carbon, welcome and all that. Nice bike dude, I love it and I'm not a big fan of black bikes. That red frame just pops!

Know you're the new owner but do you have any knowledge about your clutch cover? Looks like the standard red DP clutch part. I ask because I put one on my 1198s a few months ago and it's no longer bright red - kind of washing out on me and IMO doesn't look good against my red frame.

I need to start another thread and attach a pic so as not to hijack your welcome.

Congrats!!!!!!
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #17

I wet myself a little looking at your bike…and I have one myself. Great buy. If you are anything like me you will spend hours and hours on this site and others learning everything you possible can about Ducatis. Also would be a good idea to find a riding club. They tend to have experienced riders in them full of Ducati info.

You don’t need the manual so much. You can easily find a free copy on line in PDF. I would definitely read it from cover to cover (especially if you don’t have a local dealer to hit up). Just make sure you got the spare key, key card and electronic chip from the original owner, otherwise you will spend a shxt load of cash and time getting a replacement key.

Now get some fork and swing arm sliders and you’re good to go. Keep the rubber side down.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[1098 S]
[1198 S]

yes i have both keys and code card

what are the front and rear sliders. what do those do?

-Diamond Dave, i will keep a eye on the red clutch and let you know how it turns out, i have the original paperwork from the dealer and i can let you know exactly what he did and the make of it etc

-Carbon
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]
[749 S]

That's so sexy, get in my belly!

...Always been a fan and was on the fence when I was picking up the 1198... went with power over attraction, lol, I think you made an excellent choice!

lukeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post

what are the front and rear sliders. what do those do?

-Carbon
Sliders are like an insurance policy on your bike. They are plastic pucks attached by a metal rod through your front tire, rear axle, and through the center mount of the engine to protect their respective parts from grinding down in the event of an accident.

Swing arm sliders can also double as spool ends if you want to use a rear stand, and can easily be installed at home. Same can be said for the front fork sliders.

The frame sliders requires more work as you typically need to take the fairing off, hoist the engine, remove the center mounting screw and replace it with the frame slider bar before you can attach the sliders to either end. Then it protects your engine and frame from grinding away. Most 1098s have sliders that nestle under your farings, thus doing nothing to protect your precious Ducati plastic. I had the dealer install the frame sliders. They did it for free after buying the bike from them.

Above-fairing frame sliders exist, but would require you drill a hole in your plastics to let them out. While most Ducati dealers sell both under-mount and above mount-engine sliders (differing only in the length of the center bar), I have yet to see a Ducati with farings drilled to vent a frame slider.

I have fork sliders, swing arm sliders and under-mount engine sliders on my 1098.

Before I had my swing arm and fork sliders:
Name:  20186075755_ORIG.jpeg
Views: 205
Size:  315.6 KB

After I got my swing arm and fork sliders:Name:  Photo_091110_010.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  365.0 KB

Last edited by DoctorDucati; February 1st, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
DoctorDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[1098 S]
[1198 S]

could you post some pics about the sliders? very interested in seeing what they look like and how they are mounted. Thanks

-Carbon
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM   #22

Quote:
could you post some pics about the sliders? very interested in seeing what they look like and how they are mounted. Thanks

-Carbon

Under-mount frame sliders are not visible with the farings on, but with them off they look like this:
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Victor%20Kabbany/Desktop/New%20Folder/My%20Ducati/SAM_0019.JPG[/IMG]Name:  left engine slider.png
Views: 320
Size:  970.3 KBName:  right engine slider.png
Views: 326
Size:  919.7 KB

I use my swing arm slider as a spool with a Pit Bull rear stand.
Name:  swing arm slider.png
Views: 424
Size:  906.1 KB

Last edited by DoctorDucati; February 1st, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
DoctorDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:24 PM   #23

Quote:
how they are mounted. Thanks

-Carbon
Pretty simple to install. This is what the fork sliders look like: two plastic pucks and a center rod:Name:  fork slider.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  7.2 KB

You attach one side, then run the center rod through your front axle:Name:  instaling 1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  31.9 KBName:  instaling 2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  32.1 KB

Here is what the finished fork slider looks like
Name:  fork on.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  34.7 KB

Then finish it off by sealing the screws with lock tight metal glue to keep them from vibrating off:
Name:  lock tight.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  7.0 KB

In all this takes less than 20 minutes to complete.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #24

Nice grips/bar ends - I'm rocking the same ones. The Rizoma red resevoirs look good with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDucati View Post
Under-mount frame sliders are not visible with the farings on, but with them off they look like this:
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Victor%20Kabbany/Desktop/New%20Folder/My%20Ducati/SAM_0019.JPG[/IMG]Attachment 41836Attachment 41837

I use my swing arm slider as a spool with a Pit Bull rear stand.
Attachment 41838
duc_dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote