Found this on the magnet part of my sump plug - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:58 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Found this on the magnet part of my sump plug

Just dropped the oil on my 1198S and found this on my sump plug!

Any ideas?

I have sent the photo to the bike shop and I'll ring them in the morning.

The bike is still under warranty so any work should be covered.
SVInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:14 AM   #2

DON'T start the bike! Its a valve shim collet!!!! Might have been dropped during assembly but don't take the chance. Catastophe will result if its from one in the head!!! Trailer it to the shop or make them pick the bike up.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM   #3
x27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

WOW, your bike is fucked!

Ciao
x27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:40 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

If the bike was running fine before the oil change, then it is probably from assembly. BUT to be on the safe side, do what eltwin suggests!
vfrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:08 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTWIN View Post
DON'T start the bike! Its a valve shim collet!!!! Might have been dropped during assembly but don't take the chance. Catastophe will result if its from one in the head!!! Trailer it to the shop or make them pick the bike up.
Had a look at the spare parts manual and I think you are spot on. Will take your advice.

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by x27 View Post
WOW, your bike is fucked!

Ciao
Thanks for your technical advice at least it made me laugh not too mention that you might be right!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7

No ducatis in the registry

so whats the update??
Quackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I have found a few of these in Ducati sumps over the years. You don't mention the mileage, or whether your valves have been adjusted, but it's definitely a valve retaining collet.
N.B. Anyone adjusting valve clearances should insert a piece of rubber hose into the oil drain holes by the exhaust valves, particularly on the rear head, to prevent this happening.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
I have found a few of these in Ducati sumps over the years. You don't mention the mileage, or whether your valves have been adjusted, but it's definitely a valve retaining collet.
N.B. Anyone adjusting valve clearances should insert a piece of rubber hose into the oil drain holes by the exhaust valves, particularly on the rear head, to prevent this happening.
Bike was serviced at 12,000kms and has now just moved past 15,000kms. I change the oil and oil filter every 3,000kms.

Bike has just been picked up for transfer to bike shop.

As they say Quality Doesn't Cost It Pays!

Old February 9th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Heads stripped off and everything is where it should be. From my understanding the only way an object from the head could get into the sump would be via the oil filter so sort of impossible (I'm told).

The aftermarket TPO sump plug which I recently installed with its bigger magnet might have picked it up when the OEM one didn't.

Old February 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVInfinity View Post
Heads stripped off and everything is where it should be. From my understanding the only way an object from the head could get into the sump would be via the oil filter so sort of impossible (I'm told).
Nigh on impossible for a collet to escape from it's keepsake without some prior mishap either. It would have to show some signs of damage if not a work polished contact area. I'm guessing yours had neither and was a whoopsie at build time.

A big sigh of relief hey ?

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1198 S]

Mine had a whoopsie at build time and the piston ate the valve for breakfast. Hic!!

Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #13

Pleased to hear all is well. A bit of an inconvenience but better that than the catastrophe Smarty suffered! His engine was all but destroyed. Enjoy the ride when you have it back.

By the way, they are giving you BS telling you that it has to pass through the oil filter to get into the sump. Oil is taken from the sump, then pumped through the filter before entering the internal bearing lubrication passages for the crank and cam bearings etc. Brett is correct that it's almost impossible for a collet to escape in normal service but my concern was if one got dropped during your shim check and not noticed, resulting in reassembly with only one of the collets installed rather than the pair. They will run with just one collet.... but not for long!

Pat 1098 is spot on, collets can be dropped and will fall into the oil return hole leading back to the sump. I normally use a rag to prevent this but will now adopt his idea of the rubber tube, Cheers Pat.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVInfinity View Post

The aftermarket TPO sump plug which I recently installed with its bigger magnet might have picked it up when the OEM one didn't.

No not true.A collet can easily get to the sump from the head via the oil drain/return galleries from the head.Same way the oil returns from the head to the sump.
My guess is that it was dropped by the mechanic on the last valve adjustment and he obviously wasn't going to strip the engine to find it so just grabbed another new one one fitted that,or its from the factory original build and has eventually dislodged and come out with an oil change.
No garantee a bigger magnet will capture stuff like this either.If it finds a nice cosy little spot to live in the engine and is trapped there the magnet wont necessarily drag it over and capture it.Mag pickup are primarily for collecting ferris material held in suspension in the oil as it passes over the magnet.
ciao
lucky phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Banned

I hear they only do that for bikes shipped to Oz.

Glad all turned out..

Must havbe been the shocker to see that stuck to your drain plug.. More like.. Oh-Shit..

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote