2008 1098s problem - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[1098 S]
[1198 S]

2008 1098s problem

It has been rather chilly lately here, around 30-40 degrees F and sometimes when trying to start the bike, it will spin over a few times then everything resets on me. the display goes out, then comes back on and all i can see that it lost was the time on the clock.
It does not throw up any error messages or anything elsei can see. All connections seem ok and the battery doesnt seem low.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? i just hit 600 miles this weekend. just had first oil change with full synthetic mobil 1 10w40

going to be in daytona for bike week in about 3.5 weeks and wondered if i should zip by a ducati dealer down there for a lookover.

-Carbon

Last edited by Carbon; February 7th, 2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: more info
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Not a lot to go on, but I'm thinking if you've only put 600 miles on it in almost three years (?), your battery is probably sick of living. Or else a primary connection on the battery (or close to it) isn't tight enough.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

get the battery on a battery tender. or put it on a charger for a bit and try starting the bike...

i had the same issue, charged the battery for a couple hours, no problem... seems these batteries really dont like to be cold...
Twisted10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

yea battery been laying to long with out a charge.
97 gsxr 750 (gone stolen)
92 canoftuna 750 (sold)
Ripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[1098 S]
[1198 S]

well i bought the bike 3 weeks ago from utah, only had 477 miles on it. it has been crazy cold in alabama, low 20's, so i will chalk it up to the cold weather and battery not liking the cold. Thanks for the help guys.

-Carbon
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]
[Sport 1000]
[996]

actually had the same issue a couple of days ago, here in houston when the weather was under 30 degrees. I hooked it back up to the tender and waited until the day got hotter and it it fired up. I'm going to change the battery anyways, cuz it is the original
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
going to be in daytona for bike week in about 3.5 weeks and wondered if i should zip by a ducati dealer down there for a lookover.

-Carbon
Melillimoto in Ocala which is about an hour or so from Daytona would be the place to have your bike checked out in this area. There are two other dealerships one in Daytona (idiots, at least that's my impression, and then one in Jax roughly 90 mins from Daytona (idiots, and that's a fact!). If you'd like PM me and I'll meet up with you and get you out to Seb's (Melillimoto).

http://www.melillimoto.com/
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]
[748]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZOSO View Post
Melillimoto in Ocala which is about an hour or so from Daytona would be the place to have your bike checked out in this area. There are two other dealerships one in Daytona (idiots, at least that's my impression, and then one in Jax roughly 90 mins from Daytona (idiots, and that's a fact!). If you'd like PM me and I'll meet up with you and get you out to Seb's (Melillimoto).

http://www.melillimoto.com/
+1 for Seb
SAT_DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Rumor is Party at the Ocean Deck sponsored by Ducati on March 3rd. Hayden showed up last year not sure how big of a production it will be this year...

http://www.oceandeck.com/daytona/

Last edited by ENZOSO; February 7th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 SP]

Send a message via ICQ to Picklesp
Battery tenders are the best ! Had problems before and once I bought a tender I will never go with out. You can hook up cables so you can easily plug in bike after rides, well worth it.
Picklesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[748 S]

+1 On Melillimoto. The "other" dealer in Tampa is not worth a nickle. Anyway, about your problem, everything that has been said is good advice. If changing the battery doesn't help, try putting a ceramic heater with the bike. I know it sounds odd but I keep my bike on the tender 100% of the time but when temps drop below 50F in my non-climate controlled garage, my bike has issues starting. When I put a heater next to it (NOT A SPACE HEATER!) it warms up and then starts right up. Sounds odd I know but it works....