Track prep - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Suspension is always the first culprit, if you havent set sag and had someone check your compression/damping you may find that has a huge impact.

-d
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Had my suspension set for my weight when I first got the bike and I've never had any issues turning whatsoever, especially at higher speeds. The bike is amazing in the turns!
2003 Honda CRF480R
2004 Kawasaki KLX 138SM
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Ducati 1098
MX Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

No mention so far of safety wire?

On my 1098, the following are wired:

Oil drain bolt and all of the oil sump cover bolts.
Oil filter
Oil filler plug
Coolant drain plug

Get yourself a pair of safety wire pliers and some 0.032 wire and get cracking.
2003 Suzuki SV650 (track bike)
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Ive rarely seen a provide ask for anything to be safety wired - that is usally a suggestion, never a requirement. The only time safety wires are required are in races.

Personally, I have bought a wiretool and I safety wire my oil filter as a minimum. Easiest way is to attach the wire to a hose clamp that I tighten on to the filter and then wire off to an appropriate location.

-d
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #20

No ducatis in the registry

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidave
Ive rarely seen a provide ask for anything to be safety wired - that is usally a suggestion, never a requirement. The only time safety wires are required are in races.
And it's a good idea to check out someone else's setup or better yet watch them do the drilling to get a better idea of where to put the holes etc.
Where? BCM Motorsports Laconia, NH - National Best Service Dealer Who? Kyle Thompson - National Top Technician Gold Award What? Ducati Performance - Speedy Moto - Zero Gravity - Termignoni - Paulimoto - Helibars - Michelin - Dynojet - Pro Grip - LighTec - Sargent - Ferodo - Galfer - Pazzo - Motul - Klotz - Ohlins - STM - HID Why? Because who doesn't start out on a 999S?
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

From my own experience

Hi Dude

I had my first track day some weeks ago and am still waiting for my 1098s to come back from the shop after losing it in a run off into the gravel pit, my advice to you is:
  • remove mirrors and cable tie fairing to subframe where mirrors have been removed (put some tape between fairing and cable tie).
  • remove reg plate and indicator assembly
  • Tape the indicator wires to the underside of the seat area just above the cans using duct tape
  • Take spare fuel
  • Install some sliders/protectors
  • Install some clear adhesive plastic to areas of the fairing that my be exposed to flying debris like small stomes etc
Enjoy yourself and dont try and be Casey Stoner on the day.
  • 91 Ducati 750SS Sold
  • Suzuki T500 Trashed
  • Yamaha RD350 Sold
  • Honda XR200 Sold
Dukesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeQ
You touched an interesting point here. I had this problem during my track day, but thought it was because of something I did ie,lack of concentration, overpowering into the corner etc, but at the time when I crashed, my first thought was "why didnt the bike turn?" I was off the seat, leaned the bike in, did a serious attempt at counter steering into the corner, but it just didnt turn.

I had to decide..take the chance and jab the steering to get it to turn (if it doesnt work I am going to highside the bike...mmm not good), or throttle up to bring the bike straight up and run into the gravel. I took the gravel as a safer option...split second desicion.

This happen to anybody else, having a problem to turn the bike at high speed? What would cause this? Is there a way to overcome this?

It completely felt to me like the steering damper stiffened up so much that the bike didnt want to turn, but it felt fine after testing it back at the pits. (1098 with normal damper.)
The stock settings on the standard 1098 do seem to be for quite lazy steering. After my first track day, I made several changes to the bike. If you want it to turn in quicker either add more rear preload or use the ride height adjuster to increase the height at the back of the bike. (easier than pushing the forks up through the triple clamp)
Adjust in small increments though as you can make the bike tip in very quickly indeed if you go too far! I can easily tell the difference after adding or removing 3mm of spring preload on the rear shock
malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #23

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesterman View Post

Install some clear adhesive plastic to areas of the fairing that my be exposed to flying debris like small stomes etc
So my first track day is next Monday and Tuesday at VIR. Can anyone suggest a clear adhesive plastic as mentioned above? Don't want to have my plastics destroyed while I'm trying to have fun. There has to be something designed for this...something that protects but comes off easily. Thoughts?
CurbJumper is offline   Reply With Quote