1098S: Sato Racing or Acculign rearsets for taller (6'2") rider? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

1098S: Sato Racing or Acculign rearsets for taller (6'2") rider?

Looking for opinions from taller riders with experience of either Sato Racing or Acculign's rearsets. Stock locations are murder on my knees and the levers are not size 12 shoe friendly. Both Sato and Acculign rearsets look to have a massive following on the forum, so I'm wondering which provides the most adjustability and comfort for a rider over 6' in height.

If this specific subject has been done to death, I apologize for the post, could not find satisfactory answers using the search function. Thanks!
TampaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I have acculigns on my 1198. I love them. (I am 6'5" and also have size 13 feet, so I understand the foot / boot size issues as well)

The thing I like about the acculigns is the infinite adjustability of the peg rotation. Most of the others limit you to several set mounting points on the plates.
Terminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]
[748 S]

Acculign was discontinued, so you might have to look for a used set
11 Ducati 1198
01 Ducati 748s
dyanez7847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

Tampa I have the Satos (Type II) and love 'em. Uncool thing is I have no experience with the Acculigns so I can't compare the two from the standpoint of adjustability. I'm 6'1" with a size 12 Sidi boot and the Satos are like buttah (think Linda Richman from Coffee Talk).

Any Ducati riders in your area with either set on their bikes? That's about the only thing I can recommend. Good luck dude.
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyanez7847 View Post
Acculign was discontinued, so you might have to look for a used set

True, but there are several companies out there making acculign "style" rearsets. this is what I was referring to.
Terminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[848]

I've got a used set of Acculigns..
TheRedBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Thanks for the replies! I have to say, I really like the look of Acculigns. I'm new to the Ducati scene, and wasn't aware that they had been discontinued. It's a shame, because they look like high quality products. Red Baron, please PM the price you're looking to get for your Acculigns. Depending on their condition/color, I might be interested.

Terminex - Are there any Acculign clones you would recommend? The build quality and design of the Acculigns look absolutely top notch. An engineer friend recommended I check out Gilles as well, but not sure what I think of them.

Diamond Dave - Were you able to gain any legroom with the Satos? My primary concern is with taking some of the angle out of my legs when cruising. Need to get a little further rearward and down. Will see if I can link up with someone locally.

Thanks again all!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]
[848]

Lightech my friend, not cheap but the track system works very well. I'm 6'4" and have size 48 sidi's and I have more adjustability on the shift/brake levers than I need.

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

http://www.meetup.com/ducatiridersclub/
garrettjkubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Damn garrettj, those look excellent as well...and I like the idea of folding pegs. This isn't going to be an easy decision, apparently.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaWRX View Post
Diamond Dave - Were you able to gain any legroom with the Satos? My primary concern is with taking some of the angle out of my legs when cruising. Need to get a little further rearward and down. Will see if I can link up with someone locally.
Yes, I was able to gain some legroom with the Satos but unfortunately I don't think you're going to see a night & day difference. That kind of amazed me at first given the price of even entry level rearsets, but that's the lesson learned with these fine bikes. You will gain a measure of adjustability - not a huge amount however. But hey, that extra little bit of wiggle room in your case could spell nirvana right?

To me, half the fun of buying a new bike and then all the associated upgrades are studying the various options available. Querying the opinions of the experienced Ducatisti is an excellent start. Then research all the separate rearsets to see which brand offers the most amount of adjustments.
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Yes, I was able to gain some legroom with the Satos but unfortunately I don't think you're going to see a night & day difference. That kind of amazed me at first given the price of even entry level rearsets, but that's the lesson learned with these fine bikes. You will gain a measure of adjustability - not a huge amount however. But hey, that extra little bit of wiggle room in your case could spell nirvana right?

To me, half the fun of buying a new bike and then all the associated upgrades are studying the various options available. Querying the opinions of the experienced Ducatisti is an excellent start. Then research all the separate rearsets to see which brand offers the most amount of adjustments.
No doubt Dave, I agree. I'm bolting some aftermarket springs and sways on my current cage tomorrow and replaced around 75% of my WRX, which is sitting in the garage, waiting to be stripped and rebuilt for track duty. Half the fun of owning anything is in the modding.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post

Or just buy Sato's and be done with it.

I'm 6'2" with 45 boots and no complaints.
duc_dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaWRX View Post
No doubt Dave, I agree. I'm bolting some aftermarket springs and sways on my current cage tomorrow and replaced around 75% of my WRX, which is sitting in the garage, waiting to be stripped and rebuilt for track duty. Half the fun of owning anything is in the modding.

Got a 06 WRX here with a bolt in 6 point cusco cage, bride seat, dom 3.0 kit, big pissed off Workemotion XT7's, Tein race C/O's.. when the bug bites, it bites hard.. and the list goes on.. building a track car is a pain, but boy howdy when it's done.. woo.. I know the pain though. It can suck.
TheRedBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

You might consider Gilles rear sets. They offered the biggest increase in leg room when I bought mine a couple of years ago.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedBaron View Post
Got a 06 WRX here with a bolt in 6 point cusco cage, bride seat, dom 3.0 kit, big pissed off Workemotion XT7's, Tein race C/O's.. when the bug bites, it bites hard.. and the list goes on.. building a track car is a pain, but boy howdy when it's done.. woo.. I know the pain though. It can suck.
I still have my '02 bugeye. It's waiting to be stripped down and caged, but did the structural reinforcements, larger, roller bearing turbo, coilovers, etc and so on, so I can definitely relate. Current daily driver is a G37S, much more comfortable than the old Scoob, but I'm not sure I'll ever let the blue bugeye go.

XXTi, they're on my list. Going to check out the Satos, Gilles, and Lightechs as soon as I can. Thanks again all!