Stalling - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #31

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 620]
[848]

Hello from Athens, Greece!!

I just want to share my experience with you guys, yesterday we went for a ride with my friends one of them on the 1098 S (2 days old).
The engine stalled twice (!) once while idling at traffic lights and once while on neutral
and rolling slowly towards the traffic lights..
When my friend pushed the start button the bike started up normally..
No weird sounds or misfiring, the engine stalled just like you turned the key off..
He went to Ducati Athens today to seek for additional info and I started looking in the internet for info and opinions..
So far, the reply we have from Ducati Athens is that the "issue" will be solved during the first service (when they plug the ECU) and adjust the air/fuel mixtures etc..

Will keep you advised of outcome...
JKS_DESMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #32

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard
I picked my 1098 up yesterday (3/15/07) and it stalled 15 times before I got it home. I called the dealer and they called Ducati. The story I got was that the bike was running too lean. Ducati will be sending me a new ECU and in the mean time the dealer made it run a little richer. I haven't had any time to test it so I'll just hope for the best.

Trey
I finally got a chance to speak to my friend over the weekend that had a 749 and from the start had problems with it. What you are saying is exactly the same problem he had with his (749), stalling, fuel problems and a bad ECU.

Jason
Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #33

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando1098S
Just got my 1098S...had stock exhaust...stalled 20 times in 4 miles of friday night downtown hub bub.....eventually the battery wussed out from all the restarts and I had to let it sit an hour befoe it would start again....seems to be high temps at idle that create the scenario for this.....

Dealer told me an ecu fix is comming but not here yet....so I got a full exhaust as it has a different ECU map....we'll see if it keeps happening....
You couldn't have popped the clutch to start it?

Jason
Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I have a 1098S with slip-on Termis and idles @ 1,400 RPM. Went for a 50 mile ride yesterday morning (7 AM, air temperature 52 degrees and cloudy condition) and my bike did not stalled. I probably stopped 6 times waiting for the light to change and the RPM stayed constant 1,400 RPM. However, when I picked up my bike at the dealership (sunny 75 degrees) on previous day, it stalled once when I got home......
2005 Ducati 749S

CURRENT BIKE:
2007 Ducati 1098S
Ontur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #35

No ducatis in the registry

I have a 1098 with race system, never stalled hot or cold......!!
Madracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #36
TexasKid

So it's looking like any bikes with the stock ECU are having problems...I'm getting the full Termi tomorrow so I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore!
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #37

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I don't know that it has been proven 100% that the full termi ecu doesn't suffer the same ill fate.....the dealer hinted at this but that doesn't necessarily make it so...I'll be testing mine this week and on the weekend to see for sure....since my bike did it MAJORLY before it should be a good testbed....temps are a bit down today and it mostly happened to me in the over 200 degrees F range so I'll have to do a ton of stop and go to see what happens I guess.
Orlando1098S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #38

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

so far so good....no stalls tonight though I did shed a bolt from the carbon fiber exhaust heat shield.....
Orlando1098S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #39

I had an 02 M620 that would stall on the rare occasion. It was a summer (heat) thing and would die at traffic lights. I could almost make it happen after a while by goosing the engine excessively on the downshifts and then catching it just so on the idle with the throttle.

I've also had a similar problem with a R1200GS (BMW). I attribute the BMW's problem to fuel and the winter mix we get here. Dropping to a lower octane helped and then again maybe it was a tad bit of water in the tank.

The BMW bothered me more because it would die when the bike was still moving whereas the Duc had problems adjusting to the idle. The M620 problem was easily solved though by a quick readjustement of the idle speed. An extra 200 rpm and the problem was solved. The bike never got down to the bog state, which the extra gas appears to have helped well bog. The BMW was not so easy to solve and never really has. Running 89 octane in the winter appears to help though.
jrfuisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #40

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Have a full Termi and my bike is stalling too :-(
krieklambic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #41

Local dealer said they've already had two (of the 3 they've delivered) come back with stalling problems. Problem TBD.
Quackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM   #42

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My bike stalled on Monday and would not start. After I got it back to the dealer they said the timing belt was loose. This is my first bike so I don't really know if the dealer if jerking my chain. They are blaming Ducati. When the dealer gets the bike is this something they should check or is it common practice to assume that Ducati setup the bike correctly?
tbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #43
TexasKid

I have not had a tall yet (knocking on wood, holding breath) since I had the Termi full system installed...
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #44

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

From what my dealer tells me the new exhaust systme will fix the stalling problem because the new ECU does not use the O2 sensor. They told me they they take it out and plug the hole when the new ECU goes in. I really hat the thought of dropping 3K to fix a problem the should never have happened.
tbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #45
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

cool bike, hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Stimacsays; March 24th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
Stimacsays is offline   Reply With Quote