Chain/Sprocket replacement . . . - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #31
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia,PA.
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
i have a 2008 1098. i did the cheap mod and went with a 14t front. it is good and i feel it is not too short. my superhawk is shorter and i like it's gearing more.

i think i will get a new chain and sprockets with my fall maintenance/storage. i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?
Nope.
ducati darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #32
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 SP]

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
... i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?
Nope, not nuts. I'm running 14/39 with the OEM 525 chain (about 6k miles) and it is tons of fun. The bike accelerates like a land rocket and hits the soft rev limiter at 170 mph indicated. It will easliy pull away from a ZX14/'Busa at anything less than top speed (170).
__________________
`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Red... 400lbs wet with 182whp/105wtq (STD CF)

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Corse... 382lbs wet with 94whp/73wtq (STD CF)

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory... 430lbs wet with 181whp/83wtq (STD CF)
TOP-DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #33
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 696]
[848 EVO]

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
i have a 2008 1098. i did the cheap mod and went with a 14t front. it is good and i feel it is not too short. my superhawk is shorter and i like it's gearing more.

i think i will get a new chain and sprockets with my fall maintenance/storage. i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?
The 14 is a good mod for someone who doesn't want to invest the money for a whole new drive train. since you like the 14 (although I still think its just a bit much) and you already plan on dropping the cash on a complete drive, go 15 up front, get a quickchange carier and go up 2-3 on the back over stock. stay 525 for longevity since it's a street bike and put a cox case saver in while you're already there. you won't regret it and it allows you to change your gearing more easily for future tinkering.
M1st1098 and ducati darius like this.
eric9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #34
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
M1st1098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,755
I did 14T the easy mod because my bike were new at time. When I needed chain replacement, I'll put 15T back with 39/40 rear.

Yes, it required more gear change... for 1098 might be okay but 848??
__________________
2008 yellow/tricolore 1098

M1st1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #35
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati darius View Post
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP-DUC View Post
Nope, not nuts. I'm running 14/39 with the OEM 525 chain (about 6k miles) and it is tons of fun. The bike accelerates like a land rocket and hits the soft rev limiter at 170 mph indicated. It will easliy pull away from a ZX14/'Busa at anything less than top speed (170).
thank you fellas. 14/39 it is.
finepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #36
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 696]
[848 EVO]

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,178
15/41 or 15/42 with the quick change carier and you'l be hapier in the long run
eric9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Search tags for this page
best chain for a ducati 1198
,

chain and sprocket ducati

,
chain and sprockets to suit ducati 1098s
,
change front sprocket 1198
,
changing front sprocket on ducati 1198
,

ducati 1098 chain

,
ducati 1098 sprocket replacement
,

ducati 1198s stock chain and sprockets

,
replacement ducati sprockets
,
whats the biggest rear sprocket i can use on stock chain ducati monster 696
Click on a term to search for related topics.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.