Ducati.org forum banner

So what's your calling in life?

44K views 227 replies 91 participants last post by  Koolio 
#1 ·
So … I know I can’t be the only out there who can’t afford a 70G bike or think that even the “standard” 1098 is a good chunk of change compared to the Jap Bikes.

What does everyone do for a living? Especially you guys that are buying the RR?

Me? I repair and fix digital copiers and do IT work and no, I can’t afford the RR, not even at 50G! Hell not even at 40 would I buy it!! Love the bike, love to see it, could never justify buying it.

No offense to anyone.

Jason

#76 ·
to get back on topic.

I'm a restaurant server. However being a server in the Napa Valley is a 100K a year gig (that's the only way I can pay for all my bikes, cars and toys). I just finished race car mechanic's school and am finishing my carbon fiber classes so I can get back into automotive design.

#78 ·
Small world Rosco,

I was a railway signals and communications maintainer, a lineman for them as well

Now a LAND geophysical survey field technician / field crew foreman

Also worked in a rock quarry in school shovelling under the crushers and breakers

And I'm the guy who does the inert Vessel entry stuff for the boiler makers, I put on a space
suit and go over a hundred feet down into a vessel or boiler filled with inert gas to keep the pyrophoric Catalyst from exploding, then try to work in it.

Andrew

#79 ·
The list is long...but distinguished...

Defender of lives, freedom and the American way.

Hunter of anything that has hooves (deer, elk, etc...)

Hunter of anything that flies (turkey, pheasant, quail, Mikoyan-Gurevich, Sukhoi, etc...)

Destroyer of property (bridges, railroads, POL facilities, all the things my wife thinks are "cute", etc...)

Collector of all things Ducati...

I could go on, and on, and on...

HORNETDRIVER

#84 ·
i would tell you, but then I'd have to kill ya...

Don't worry bro, your alot higher then most if you have a ducati. just be grateful for that, you could on a yamaha or even worse, nothing.

i was at the dealer and was gonna get it, but then thought, why not get a 1098s, 696, and a 695 for the girl at the same price. I find it alot happier to have 3 bikes then one. no one in my area even cares about bikes/ exotics, there more into hybrids then money pits.

mo money mo problems

#85 ·
I wish I could be paid to be a pilot but I'm a bit acrophobic (yes, you fighter pilots). I envy the guys who actually build things and make things, kind of like industrial artists. I can appreciate the consultants and programmers who deal in reselling information and bits and bytes. I know we need them to make the world go round, and I'm thankful that they do their jobs. I really like those who work to make the world better for the rest of us, and they do so knowing that they could make tons of money if they were to work for themselves. I could not begin to imagine what it would take for someone to put their life on the line to protect people they don't personally know, so I have the deepest admiration for the peace keepers and those that hunt human garbage, those that sleep with their weapons by their side so we can sleep quietly.

I hope to get a job as a prosecutor some day, and do the best I can for as long as I can. I've got a base 1098 and I have no interest in any more bikes for now. I can appreciate a beautiful collection but that's not for me. Before the 1098 I had a 20 year old Honda, so I might want a new bike in another 20 years. I clip coupons and buy canned soups when they're on sale but I also like to celebrate Valentine's day at Morton's of Chicago. I love my 1098 because it's one of the few things that make my palms sweat and my heart race, but I still love the analogue simplicity of my bulletproof Honda.

I hate scumbags who try to rationalize the necessity and importance of the job they do in protecting those that prey on the weak. I believe those self deluded individuals who take pride in defending child molesters are social deviants who should have to notify their neighbors that they've moved into the area. Those that defend sexual predators and proclaim their innocence and feel good about it are not able capable of reasonable thought and have no concept of right and wrong. No legal argument in the world could convince me of the honor in defending slime, but I can understand how those defense attorneys need to fool themselves into believing in what they do or else they'd hate themselves. I feel sorry for those people.

Great thread, Jason. I've often wondered the same thing.

#100 · (Edited)
tired saw

I hope to get a job as a prosecutor some day. I hate scumbags who try to rationalize the necessity and importance of the job they do in protecting those that prey on the weak. I believe those self deluded individuals who take pride in defending child molesters are social deviants who should have to notify their neighbors that they've moved into the area. Those that defend sexual predators and proclaim their innocence and feel good about it are not able capable of reasonable thought and have no concept of right and wrong. No legal argument in the world could convince me of the honor in defending slime, but I can understand how those defense attorneys need to fool themselves into believing in what they do or else they'd hate themselves. I feel sorry for those people.
Armoredsquid,

You're not alone in this belief. Many people feel the way you do. As a criminal defense lawyer I've long since grown immune to these baseless attacks on my profession. I'm certain you'd sing a different tune if a seven year old boy unjustly accused you of molesting him. Then you'd do an about-face and prey for competent, zealous advocacy on your behalf. Or is it that you believe only the, "innocent" are entitled to zealous advocacy? And who determines that? You? Or do you believe that the "innocent" never get charged with crimes?

And you want to be a prosecutor? If your comments about the defense of those charged with commiting sex crimes is any indication, you lack even a basic understanding of how the legal system works, and as such, are ill-equipped to serve as a prosecutor. I deal with prosecutors on a daily basis, and trust me when I tell you, they all admire and appreciate the hard work defense counsel does on behalf of their clients. Without it, there is no rule of law. Your comments make it obvious that you don't understand the first thing about what it means to be a prosecutor.

Consider this: Without zealous advocacy on behalf of the criminally accused, there is only summary rush to judgement. Is that really what you want? No more justice? Just take the "guilty," (or at least, the ones you think are "guilty"), out back, and shoot 'em without a trial? Is that really preferable under your sense of ethics to giving the criminally accused a fair trial with competent and zealous defense?

That's alright, you don't have to answer that question, 'cause you already have. The only thing sadder than your post is the fact that so many others feel the same way.

And those same people scratch their heads in disbelief, wondering why it is the rest of the world views most Americans as uneducated, vulgar, fools.

One can only hope that as you continue on your journey to becoming a prosecutor that you learn something about justice and ethics so that you can serve the people of your jurisdiction in the way the law envisioned rather than using your power to further your personal agenda.

Elton, if defending child molesters is how you "fight the man", well then i hope the man wins. I do not prejudice against race or religion, but if you're a child molester, it then becomes a personal choice, and if you have not acted on it, a belief. For you to defend someone who preys on the weak, ouch man. It says a lot about your personality. I guess if you didn't, then someone else would, but i wouldn't really mind if there was a NAMBLA meeting out in the middle of nowhere, and the united states decided to "disarm" some of their remaining nukes in that very spot. People who sexually assault other people are worse than worthless in our society. In fact, they counteract progress.Whoever mentioned that this is America, and that we have the right to hate whomever we want for any reason, is correct. My hate is contagious. I don't like "child molesters", or those who support them.
Gillis,

I don't defend child molestors; I defend people accused of molesting children. It's not the same thing. The problem with your analysis is that it presumes guilt rather than innocence. Don't forget that my next client could be you. That's right, YOU! Somebody could wrongly accuse you of doing a horrible act. Most peole don't believe that happens until it happens to them. Then they realize. I only prey this doesn't happen to you, 'cause I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. As I've mentioned before on this forum, any American can pay lip service to the phrase, "All defendants are innocent until proven guilty," but few Americans really understand what those words means, much less believe them.

If you believe that innocent people are never falsely accused and subsequently convicted of acts they didn't do, then you've been sold a bill of goods by "The Man." It happens. And it happens more often than people care to admit.

Think about that the next time you rush to judgement against a child molestor or the man who defended him.

Do I only defend the "innocent?" Of course not. Many of my clients have done some or all of the things they're charged with, and are found guilty. But in order to protect the wrongly accused, it's essential that each and every criminal defendant, (including child molesters, murderers, and rapists), receive a competent, zealous defense.

Elton

#87 ·
Some of these fights are so funny, it seems a shame not to throw a little fuel on the fire. So......

Considering that "Hypocracy is the act of condemning another person for an act of which the critic is guilty", what word would you ascribe to the following commentary?

This statement:
"a person has a right not to like a particular hippie, or a particular Jew, or a particular Palestestinian, but to dislike all Hippies, or all Jews, or all Palestinians because of the actions of a few is nothing more than racism or bigotry. There can never be a reason to not like an entire group of people."

This statement made by the same person:
Anybody's who's carefully watched police knows that they routinely break the laws. And before people start protesting that, "Not all cops do this, just some of them. Don't badmouth all police because of the actions of a few bad apples, blah, blah, blah," I respectully have to disagree. It's not just some cops. They all do it. It's commonplace. We've all seen it. They speed, go through red lights, don't come to complete stops, make illegal turns, etc... The police drive as if the laws don't apply to them. And they wonder why so many people don't respect the police. What amazes me is how so many Americans think this is such a great country, so free, so much better than every other country

Long live the anonymity of the web:)

#102 · (Edited)
"police state" cont.

Considering that "Hypocracy is the act of condemning another person for an act of which the critic is guilty", what word would you ascribe to the following commentary?

This statement:

"a person has a right not to like a particular hippie, or a particular Jew, or a particular Palestestinian, but to dislike all Hippies, or all Jews, or all Palestinians because of the actions of a few is nothing more than racism or bigotry. There can never be a reason to not like an entire group of people."

This statement made by the same person:

Anybody's who's carefully watched police knows that they routinely break the laws. And before people start protesting that, "Not all cops do this, just some of them. Don't badmouth all police because of the actions of a few bad apples, blah, blah, blah," I respectully have to disagree. It's not just some cops. They all do it. It's commonplace. We've all seen it. They speed, go through red lights, don't come to complete stops, make illegal turns, etc... The police drive as if the laws don't apply to them. And they wonder why so many people don't respect the police. What amazes me is how so many Americans think this is such a great country, so free, so much better than every other country.
Merto,

Those are my comments and I stand by them. The police do routinely break the same laws they're sworn to uphold, and anybody with an ounce of common sense knows this to be true, 'cause we all see it on a daily basis. And this wanton disregard for the law is comomplace among law enforcement officials rather than an isolated occurance. Does there exist somewhere a cop who doesn't speed, doesn't make illegal right turns on red lights, pays for all his coffee at the local deli, never lies about the circumstances of an arrest in order to sidestep the Consitution, never parks illegally when he runs into the convenience store to get his lunch, never goes through a red light 'cause he doesn't feel like waiting for the light to change, never "badges", (to use the language of a police officer on this fourm), his way out of a moving violation, never uses his position of authority to get or do something a civilian couldn't get or do? Probably. But that exception only proves the rule.

I'll say this though: Notwithstanding what I know to be true about the lawless nature of police, when I meet a cop, (and in my job I meet lots of cops, most of them decent, hardworking guys in spite of their occasional abuse of power), I judge that cop as an individual, for the man he is, rather than summarily disliking him or judging him just because he's a cop.

And that, Merto, is not hypocritical.

Elton

#88 · (Edited)
The 1098 & 848 are by far the best machines Ducati have ever produced.

I have only just recently become the new owner of a Red 848.
I did look at the 1098 and could of easily purchased one, but I stood back and thought to myself 'Where can you possibly run it apart from the track to get the most out of it legally'?
The 1098s are born for the track and unless you you are planning on racing it or looking to loss your licence in a great hurry, what's the point?
I just can't see why or where you can use all that horsepower. And the new RR is a lot of $$ for a worked 1098 don't you think?

No offence to all you 1098 owners.

Remember: Shiny side up - Greasy side down.

:later:

#89 ·
Helicopter pilot for my sins, flying oil workers out to the rigs in the UK North Sea. Helps pay for the toys and stuff and beats working in an office which I did for some years before I got into the profession. Only downsides are the unsociable working hours and shifts and the winter nights grovelling around at 300ft between platforms in appalling weather. Still summer is on the way and I have a 1098 to play with, three great kids and a wife who has her own Ducati Monster and enjoys it and our days out. Could not really ask for more...well a D16RR would be nice but then I would have to win the lottery to be in with a chance of affording one.

#95 ·
I work as a tax auditor with the State of Illinois....basically crunching numbers all day. Not the most exciting job but pays the bills with money left over for toys. My other "job" is as a volunteer for the local animal shelter, trying to place stray or abandoned animals into good homes. The second job doesn't pay but I get alot of satisfaction out of it.

#98 ·
Equities Fund manager.

Could rationalise the "R", but since I'm expecting/hoping for an Ariel Atom late this year, I'm trying to keep the urge to upgrade at bay.

No interest in the RR. I got off a 4 cylinder bike to dig the twin groove for a while.
Does that make me a hippy? heh heh.

BTW, tried 3 times to join the Air Force. Stupid eyes weren't good enough to get in. So now I fly aerobatics as a hobby and dream of owning a WW2 fighter. Very envious of the fighter pilots here.

#99 ·
I'm glad we're back on track.

but to hijack again...

Elton, if defending child molesters is how you "fight the man", well then i hope the man wins. I do not prejudice against race or religion, but if you're a child molester, it then becomes a personal choice, and if you have not acted on it, a belief. For you to defend someone who preys on the weak, ouch man. It says a lot about your personality. I guess if you didn't, then someone else would, but i wouldn't really mind if there was a NAMBLA meeting out in the middle of nowhere, and the united states decided to "disarm" some of their remaining nukes in that very spot. People who sexually assault other people are worse than worthless in our society. In fact, they counteract progress.

Whoever mentioned that this is America, and that we have the right to hate whomever we want for any reason, is correct. My hate is contagious. I don't like "child molesters", or those who support them. A guy in new hampshire 2 years ago got his gun, a list of convicted child molesters, and a bus ticket. I think he got 2 before he was stopped by the police, at which time he committed suicide. Bravo. If i had no aspirations in life, maybe i would change my job title from "mechanic" to "vigilante child molester justice provider"

Something to ponder while you think of an ultra liberal response to my hatred for child molesters, elton.

#101 · (Edited)
..............Whoever mentioned that this is America, and that we have the right to hate whomever we want for any reason, is correct. My hate is contagious. ...............quote]

No wonder America is in the shit that it is!!!!

Bracing myself for a flaming, but here goes, child molesters aside........ Does not 'like beget like'?? "In God we Trust" Yeah right! "Do unto others as you would have do unto you" No bloody wonder. 911 was an act of hatred!!! So lets hate back with extra, yeh that'll help. A lynching party always brings forth feelings of warmth and well being??? Doesn't it?

#106 · (Edited)
Elton, I have several friends that are DDA's and AUSA's and they don't admire and appreciate the hard work done by you self proclaimed zealots. If I'm ever in an ethical dilemma, I will PM you to ask for a higher moral vision as well as guidance by the rule of law. Based on all of your statements about cops (which are all based on facts that you can provide, never based on your feelings), you have become the bigot you hate. I can also understand why you feel like you need to fight the man, but doesn't the man pay your salary? Doesn't that make you an unwitting pawn in this farce? One day as you walk your path of cognitive dissonance I hope you will realize that the laws are made to protect the public not criminals. It's interesting to me how you believe a 7 year old could unjustly accuse me of molesting him/her. I wonder if you think all 7 year olds are liars.

Brett, I wish I lived in a place as happy and healthy as Australia, but there isn't anything to do there. Here in the US there are so many things I can improve upon, so many opportunities as I try to gain a better understanding of the problems and the best way to fix them as opposed to sitting on the side and ignorantly screaming "please stop it!" Do unto others? Please, don't tell me that you think anyone believes in the golden rule; that would really ruin my image of you. I bet you don't even believe in it. Yes, Elton stated that "the rest of the world views most Americans to be uneducated, vulgar, fools." Luckily we have Elton to remind us, or else where would we be? On behalf of all of us uneducated, vulgar, fools, I promise to do good. If a disaster hits we'll send relief. If you're being ethnically cleansed we'll send our cleaners. Just tell us what you need. The best part of the deal is that we will continue to help you and anyone else regardless of what you think of us, because it's the right thing to do. No one is asking for your help, so stop whining.

#108 ·
Me too!

WOW! Me too! Maybe we should start a forum where we can talk about our common interests and love of these bikes with lots of other people that love these bikes too!

It's about the bikes guy's. Thanks for ruining a really fun thread. :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.