Ducati.org forum banner

Better exhaust???

18K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Love2Ride 
#1 ·
If an underbody exhaust is so much better like on the new 1199. How come no one has made an uderbody for the 1198 or the 1098?

Does anybody know of someone that has done this

#11 ·
If an underbody exhaust is so much better like on the new 1199.
Dont agree...it's just a different arrangement, thats all.
The 1x98 was designed for undertail pipes.
To be fair, messing with this geometry will probably lead to the bike being too stable in the horizontal axis. As was it's design, the 1x98 loves to lean.
I'd not be messing with that.
1199 is just different, that's all. Put the weight down low on a 1x98, and you may end up with a bike thats great for cruising strait highway....who knows?

#13 ·
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. With the pipes up high, you have a huge amount of weight up there (even with CF cans and a full Ti system like my Akra). With the exhaust under the belly pan, you centralize the weight more, thus making the bike more nimble. The 1x98 was designed with undertail exhaust, but you wouldn't kill the geometry if you changed that.

That said, if you tried to pull off an underbody exhaust on the 1x98, you would have to do a metric fuck ton of modification, and you'd likely screw up the engine balance by having some hack job exhaust. The concern about swapping to that type of exhaust isn't bike geometry, but engine performance. You need appropriate back pressure and exhaust gas flow through the pipes to do anything but kill the power of your bike.

#14 ·
The actual weight distribution and balance of the 916 right up to the 1198 was designed around an undertail exhaust and it's weight distribution characteristics so putting it down in the bellypan would indeed play with the way the bike handles and throws it's weight around.

#21 ·
Well what are the concerns with them and the guys who sell them? I'ld like to know

If you are worried about the geometry and weight shift...maybe a few less latte's and sammiches. Shed 10lbs. off the ole ass and keep the cans high! Otherwise the weight shift lower isn't going to do anything other then to help counterbalance the ole' fluff we like to carry around!....and for some, the manpurse:banghead:

#23 ·
No real big issues. I ordered and paid 3k for the TI version, took 3 months to deliver , thats ok as they kept me informed, but I suggested that they could cancel my order and let it fill another of their waiting orders as I had purchased another bike and would probably sell the 1098 as std. and didnt want to be stuck with the pipes. Also said if they were on their way thats ok too. So they arrived and i have fitted them with the instructions to fit heat insulation between front header baffle and fairing,this I did, but there is still contact with the std fairing and of course it has melted to a bulge and discoloured the paint. I suggested by email that I could solve this by making a fibreglass version with allowances for clearance but could you give me any suggestions from your experience. Sent twice no response, I get sick of no contact from sellers after they take your money.
Same goes for the CF air runners offered out there , THEY DONT SEAL LIKE eom intakes. Most of the air sucks straight past the outside of the filter between the airbox. How many guys out there are going to ruin engines because of this. I've queried sellers of this and they dont respond. Also purchased a set of 30mm offset triples and have probs with alignment due to what i claim is a machining alignment of the fork holes, but after the money goes thru , end of dialogue , pisses me off.

#22 ·
Tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Trust me doesnt adversely affect the handling , Is loud but no louder than I4's . Havent done a track day on it as yet but with enlargened intakes , air filter , and fuel map upgrade it is getting decent hp. No room with eom bottom left fairing , seems DD dont want to talk about this.

#26 ·
Mitchell black non adjustable from Dan Kyle. Bike tracks ok, corners beautifully, brakes straight but I swear the clipons and top clamp are turned slightly to the right not much but I can notice. The locator pins on the clipons are how they should be. The fork legs are parallel as well. How do you Linish ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.