1098 Engine Tear Down and Rebuild for Dummies - Page 14 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #196

No ducatis in the registry

+1 with Pat. BY hand you will feel if anything is hitting or in the way.
Quackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM   #197

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

ok good that's kinda what I thought. So I wont need the holding tool for the cam wheels but I will need the tool that removes the nut on the lower cam belt drive pulley, correct?

And correct me if I'm wrong but to split the cases you need to take off all the gears on both sides so which tools do I need to buy??

Flywheel holding tool
cam drive pulley wrench
left side alternator case puller (easy to make)
clutch holding tool (I have already)

what else??
Superfly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:04 PM   #198

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

That's about it. Of course a 'rattle gun' helps get things undone.
You no longer need a gear puller for the primary drive gear like the earlier models (which fitted a taper on the crankshaft.
The later engines fit a spline, and the gear slips off easily.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #199

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
That's about it. Of course a 'rattle gun' helps get things undone.
You no longer need a gear puller for the primary drive gear like the earlier models (which fitted a taper on the crankshaft.
The later engines fit a spline, and the gear slips off easily.
ahh fantastic. I have a gear puller I found in my fathers stash of tools. good to know I don't need it though. My father was a performance engine builder specialized in chevy 350's before I was old enough to know what the hell a 350 was. He passed away 15 years ago. I learned a lot from him but like 10% engine internal work. This will be my first attempt opening any engine.

I even have valve grinding equipment and a tig welder that I don't even know how to turn on. Wish I was paying more attention as a teenager instead of chasing skirts. Now I'm googling and asking you guys

Yeah I have a rattle gun and 120psi lines in my garage. I'm ready for action Might be all winter working on this thing as I'm pretty much pressed for time and the season is over here for me regardless.

Oh yeah and the Haynes manual on the 996 teardown talked about using a 20mm socket and grinding it into a cam nut removal tool...seemed easy enough from the picture

Last edited by Superfly999; September 3rd, 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Superfly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #200

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Hello all,

Fantastic read. I found this due to an unfortunate adventure of my own. I have an 2010 848 Dark that had an oil contamination issue. Details aside the motor has been replaced via insurance, I still ride the bike as a daily commuter and love it. So I now have a spare that needs rebuilt and this thread looks to be an excellent guide. Still not sure after reading though that I want to part take in such an adventure. I was curious if an 848 can be increased in cc's (more power). Is it even possible? Money is tight in my household so I am also up for selling it outright for someone who is in need or the desire. It had 11,131 mainly highway miles on it 09/2013. If any one is interested or has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.
Again, awesome thread and sincere congrats to Quackquack!!!
nv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #201

thanks nv13! let me know if I can assist. the tear apart was easy...and super simple inside..no springs popping out or little rolex like pieces that just fall out when you take the case apart. The head may be a different story, but it was easier than my 4 stroke dirtbike engine. YOU CAN DO IT! gopro everything

and for boring it out, not sure....never crossed that road. BUT contact FOX @ fox performance. he can tell you in a blunt manner what you can do.
Quackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #202

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

You wouldn't be 'boring it out' as such, as the Nikalsil cylinders are plated, but certainly you can increase its capacity with a piston and cylinder kit.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Twin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackquack View Post
yup i almost forgot. I need to order this tool...only problem is i dont see one in the US for sale...

I have this exact same socket. It just looks like there are 8 lugs due to the method of machining. If you look closely 4 of them have more protrusion than the other 4. The 4 long ones engage in the nut while the shorter ones sit between the slots on the outer perimeter of the ring nut. These sockets are Really strong!

Hey where did you buy this tool?
Jaredg430 is offline   Reply With Quote