ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   My immobilizer is making me put in the code everytime I start my 2008 1098 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/46783-my-immobilizer-making-me-put-code-everytime-i-start-my-2008-1098-a.html)

TylerA October 16th, 2012 04:50 PM

My immobilizer is making me put in the code everytime I start my 2008 1098

I recently installed a new ignition key guard and the first couple days after I installed it there were no issues and now I have to put in the code everytime I start the bike. Also, the red oil can light is lit up only when the bike it off. Could the two be connected? I've read that most times the immobilizer has the error code IMMO 37.5 its because they got the bike wet (washing or riding in the rain), but i've done neither. I don't want to keep riding if there's something mechanically wrong with the bike. Can anyone give me some advice?

Dukaki848 October 16th, 2012 05:26 PM

Is your key guard a replacement for the rubber one or a cover which sits on top of the original rubber piece. Either way sounds like your immobilizer ring is not where it should be.

RGR October 16th, 2012 07:53 PM

Mine did that when i changed covers , immobilizer ring has to be in the correct location , then its sweet . RG

TylerA October 17th, 2012 11:56 AM

Where is the immobilizer ring located? And what does it look like?

Dukaki848 October 17th, 2012 12:01 PM

It looks like a plastic ring that is around the ignition it clips to the bottom of the rubber key gaurd.

Carbon October 17th, 2012 01:02 PM

i have mine sitting at top of key guard cause i replaced stock with a carbon fiber one from shift tech and it doesnt have the ring, used silicone to keep it in place and havent had any problems since.

-Carbon

Dukaki848 October 17th, 2012 05:53 PM

There are replacements and covers for the key gaurd. The shift tech is a cover which is supposed to go over the rubber one. But I eventually removed the rubber one and attached the ring to the shift tech piece.

pottebaum October 17th, 2012 11:24 PM

The imobilizer ring is not installed correctly. If you look at your original cover you will see where it clips into. If that ring is to low or not aligned correctly it won't get the signal from the key and the bike won't start without putting in the code. You can use a sealant to keep the ring in place.

TylerA October 19th, 2012 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what it was. When I put the carbon fiber key guard on, it pushed the ring down and it couldn't read the key. So I just pulled it off and repositioned the sensor ring and put the carbon fiber guard back on and it works fine now.

rubbish October 21st, 2012 08:27 AM

what is this code that you guys are talking about? I've heard about this before, but where do you get this code from? Is it something unique to each bike?

pottebaum October 22nd, 2012 12:46 AM

If you purchased your bike new you get a red card that has a 5 or six digit number on it. If your key goes bad you can use this code in conjuntction with your key to start your bike. The code overides the imobilizer system allowing you to start your bike.

Veloce June 4th, 2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottebaum (Post 644503)
The imobilizer ring is not installed correctly. If you look at your original cover you will see where it clips into. If that ring is to low or not aligned correctly it won't get the signal from the key and the bike won't start without putting in the code. You can use a sealant to keep the ring in place.

having the same issue with the cf cover that i used to replace the older rubber cover. what kind of sealant did you use? can i just use glue? can you send a pic by any chance to show how you've done it?? thanks!

DGAF848 June 4th, 2013 01:58 AM

You really shouldn't glue the immobilizer ring to the key gaurd. You could do what I did and cut the old rubber clip off the original key gaurd and glue that to the bottom of the carbon fiber one. Of course I picked up a spare rubber key gaurd to do this.

Veloce June 4th, 2013 02:29 AM

good idea! except i don't have the luxury to look for a spare rubber one down here. so i'll just nip the one i have. thanks man!

Carbon June 4th, 2013 09:04 AM

i rtv silicone the ring to the key cyclinder because of my carbon cover, never had a problem since

-Carbon