1098 seized? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]

1098 seized?

sup guys!

sooo im not sure if i seized the motor or not. i was out riding and hit a straight, pinned the throttle and when i got to about 140 the bike lost power. i could still turn the throttle and it would go but it was making quite a racket (think straight piped harley decelerating). i decided to find a safe spot to turn off but when i pulled the clutch in the bike completely died. couldnt start it either. when i tried bump starting it and the wheel just locked up.

got it home and put in a fresh battery off the tender and tried to start it, well the terminals decided to start smoking. so i quickly stopped doing that haha

not sure what the deal is with it and dont want to dig too deep because its going back to the dealer in a couple days. anyone want to take some stabs at what might have happened?
rkorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098]
[Monster 1100 S]

The first part sort of happened to me and it turned out to be the kickstand switch. It just suddenly died but I was on deceleration. After I stopped, the bike wouldn't start no matter what until I jiggled the wire coming out of the kickstand switch. Since then, the only time it's acted up is when I put it into first when taking off, it'll think the kickstand is down when it's in fact, up.

Don't know what to tell you about the terminals smoking... Don't have any advice on that one.
Andrew848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #3

No ducatis in the registry

Have you checked your timing belts to see if one snapped or maybe one jumped a tooth.
DGAF848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]

i did check to make sure the belts were still there and they looked fine, but they definitely couldve skipped a tooth. which would make sense, i originally thought that the belts had broke or something. how do you know if they skipped? the timing marks?

oh, all of the fluids and what not were normal at the time as well. bought it 8 hrs earlier from a dealer and only put about 100 miles on it.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew848 View Post
The first part sort of happened to me and it turned out to be the kickstand switch. It just suddenly died but I was on deceleration. After I stopped, the bike wouldn't start no matter what until I jiggled the wire coming out of the kickstand switch. Since then, the only time it's acted up is when I put it into first when taking off, it'll think the kickstand is down when it's in fact, up.

Don't know what to tell you about the terminals smoking... Don't have any advice on that one.

ive had stuffs like that happen on the 848 but this wasnt like that unfortunately! it sounded like a straight piped harley decelerating. or something of the sort
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098]
[Monster 1100 S]

Weird.

Sorry I couldn't help but keep us posted. Good luck!
Andrew848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

If it jumped timing it might still crank freely but probably not start. We need a better description of exactly what it's doing when you try to start it... or better yet, a video.

I really doubt it actually seized. If that happened at 140mph you probably wouldn't be here.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
If it jumped timing it might still crank freely but probably not start. We need a better description of exactly what it's doing when you try to start it... or better yet, a video.

I really doubt it actually seized. If that happened at 140mph you probably wouldn't be here.

well when i try to start it it clicks and then the terminals on the battery start to smoke. nothing moves at all. ill try and grab a video this afternoon

yeah i had slowed down to about 20 when i tried to bump it and locked the rear wheel. wouldve been one hell of a ride had it happened at 140!!
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Ooooooh, I missed that part about the rear wheel locking up. Ouch. You may be screwed. But if you just bought it then the dealer should take care of you since it's clearly not something you did.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
Ooooooh, I missed that part about the rear wheel locking up. Ouch. You may be screwed. But if you just bought it then the dealer should take care of you since it's clearly not something you did.

im hoping they will! theyre picking it up on wednesday and we shall see.

im just really curious as to what happened. ive never had a catastrophic failure on a ducati in the 30k miles that ive owned em. (guess i was just lucky)

Last edited by rkorner; May 27th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorner View Post
sup guys!

sooo im not sure if i seized the motor or not. i was out riding and hit a straight, pinned the throttle and when i got to about 140 the bike lost power. i could still turn the throttle and it would go but it was making quite a racket (think straight piped harley decelerating).

not sure what the deal is with it and dont want to dig too deep because its going back to the dealer in a couple days. anyone want to take some stabs at what might have happened?
Sorry mate but I think it's stuffed.

pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #12

No ducatis in the registry

My guess internal failure..
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

That does not sound good. Reminds me of when I rebuilt my old R6. I didn't measure out all the conrod bearings when I reassembled. Needless to say it was a tad tight. It ran fine for about 30 miles but then it started losing power and sounded rough running then as it approached idle speed it quit immediately. Wouldn't turn over from that point on. A tear apart proved my fears. Blued connecting rod and scored crank journal.
Planepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[748]

^^ ouch. Well i hope that you figure it out and it isn't that serious.

Let up know bro
selbitz748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 SP]

I have to guess a spun rod bearing.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
redonred is offline   Reply With Quote