ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   Electrics 1098s help (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/51292-electrics-1098s-help.html)

georgem May 31st, 2013 09:18 AM

Electrics 1098s help

Hi guys
Some decent weather now so I hope you enjoy riding!! Not for me tho....
I got a 1098s (3000k on the clock) with a full termi system and termi ecu. Today while riding the bike cut off completely and would not start. When it was off it made a whistling noise and if I would try and restart it with my key, it made an intermittent ticking noise but would not start and had no errors on the screen.
I called the AA and a guy said it was the battery (which I have changed recently). When he connected the bike to his van the screen come up as if there was no problem but it would to start. The guy said that perhaps there was a fault that overcharged my battery cos when we took the plastics off there was certainly obvious signs that the battery was very hot and the surface was not even, as it there were very small bumps. Anyone can offer some advice please?????even if I change the battery the problem will come again I think. There was also a funny smell coming for the bike as if something was overheating which I think was the problem with the battery been overcharged and heated.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks a lot
George

Throbber May 31st, 2013 09:29 AM

Sounds like the VR has blown and cooked the battery. If you can start the engine, check the voltage across the battery terminals - if its more than 14.7 volts then the VR is blown.

selbitz748 May 31st, 2013 09:45 AM

VR = Voltage regulator

just in case you didn't know.

georgem May 31st, 2013 11:27 AM

Thanks for this guys. The engine is not starting at all in fact...
You recon I should change th VR? That is after I buy a new battery.
Many thanks

selbitz748 May 31st, 2013 11:28 AM

Maybe your starter is shot.

Spudd May 31st, 2013 02:50 PM

The VR was recalled because it requires an extra Heat Shield; yes, they over heat and fail. So, check to see if this mod has been done. There will be an aluminum shield behind the VR ECU assembly below the Battery. If not, DOA will warranty it...

Pinarello June 2nd, 2013 11:03 PM

You mean the ECU-VR assembly heated by exhaust or engine?? Can you tell where exactly shild must be installed? Think I have no one too(

pat1098 June 3rd, 2013 12:59 AM

There was a whole regulator kit that was retro-fitted to '07 models.
It included a different battery box with the aluminium heatshield and a different (improved) regulator, and was fitted FOC.
It shielded the heat from the exhaust from overheating the regulator, which can get hot in its normal function (which is why they often have fins cast on their housing).