buell vs 1098/1198 street riding - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pat1098

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

buell vs 1098/1198 street riding

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum so I apologize if something like this has already been posted. I currently have an 08 Buell 1125R and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a 1098 or 1198 when I get out of the military as a present to myself. I've read a lot about them and it seems a lot of people say they are a pain in the ass as a street bike or around town. I have no issues with my Buell and was wondering if the ride quality is similar. I don't care about comfort. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
INFANTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Such a personal and subjective question is difficult to give a definitive answer to.
I'm sure you would love the Ducati - I have done a lot of miles on mine, and still love it. But I have had Ducatis for 40 years..
I have ridden a couple of earlier Sportster-engined Buells (White Lightning) but not the recent 1125. The Ducati 1X98s are a world away from those bikes..
The Buells are a little less extreme in the bars/seat/footrest relationship than the Ducati superbikes, so that will require a little adjustment physically. But the arrangement works well at the high speeds they do so easily.
I'm sure you will enjoy the quality and feel of the Ducati, and I don't find mine uncomfortable, but only you can really decide.
So a test ride is a must. As soon as possible, so you can have some reality to base your plans on.
I find the 1X98 bikes quite addictive - hopefully you will to.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I've ridden the 1125 Buell. It has probably as much torque as the Duc but a LOT less power. It's certainly a lot more comfortable for long distances and low speeds, two things the Duc absolutely sucks at. I didn't push it hard on my demo ride, however I'd guess the Buell has less high-speed stability than the Duc due to its much more flickable nature. The Buell is probably a better daily street bike in a lot of ways... BUT if you've been bitten by the Ducati bug, nothing else will be a worthy substitute.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
BUT if you've been bitten by the Ducati bug, nothing else will be a worthy substitute.
Awesome statement.

It's not bad around town if you have nothing to compare to... I love mine and its my first bike. I only hate my bike around town if I just got off of another one. Great bike great choice if you don't care about comfort.

Last edited by koolkoreanked; June 17th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
koolkoreanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

I have never riden the buell before, but I have an R6 that I use as a daily driver and a 1098R that is more of a weekend bike. The only down side to the 1098R is getting caught in traffic. With the dry clutch the pull is a little hard, if you get caught in stop and go traffic you will feel the burn of your clutch hand working out. I'm not to sure about the standard or S model 1x98 but the R will not go below 10mph as well. You have to leave room in stop and go traffic just to let the clutch out, as soon as the clutch is out, your doing 10+. I also find the 1098 just as comfy as any other sportbike I've riden, the fuel tank does push on you right above your growing and if you catch a pot hole you will wish you had worn a cup but other than that you can ride it all day with no problem IMO. Once you ride one you won't want to ride anything else, if you want a bike with amazing torque and the horsepower to go with it get the 1198, you will love the extra 100cc's. whatever you decide I promise if you get a 1x98, you won't be disappointed
Dclivingston9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Thanks a lot everyone! That was really helpful. My buell doesn't do so well under 10mph either so it sounds like the ride itself is pretty similar (except for the extreme power difference).
INFANTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #7

Sorry to thread jack but I recently saw a show on the new EBR 1190rs and wow does that bike look amazing. I'd love to get a chance to ride one but from what the show was saying their not producing too many of them. Anybody else seen or rode one?

Last edited by DGAF848; June 17th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
DGAF848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF848 View Post
from what the show was saying their not producing too many of them.
That's an understatement. They only made 100 of them, so it's 15x more rare than the D16RR. Like the Motoczysz C1, I'll probably never get to see one.

HAHA, "see one," C1... see what I did there?
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9

Never ridden a Buell but I've ridden '99 R6, '00 GSXR-750, '01 GSXR-600, '05 GSXR-750, and '09 R1, and the Ducati absolutely sucks on the street in comparison. Very forward ergo's, dry clutch on/off grabbing, stiff clutch lever, clunk transmission, the oem Showa suspension might as well be welded in place, the rake is terrible causing very heavy steering. Get it on the track though and it's magic!!
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
That's an understatement. They only made 100 of them, so it's 15x more rare than the D16RR. Like the Motoczysz C1, I'll probably never get to see one.

HAHA, "see one," C1... see what I did there?
Yeah that's what I heard but wasn't sure if they were going to produce more since the show originally aired. What was the price tag like $40,000
DGAF848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionless View Post
Never ridden a Buell but I've ridden '99 R6, '00 GSXR-750, '01 GSXR-600, '05 GSXR-750, and '09 R1, and the Ducati absolutely sucks on the street in comparison. Very forward ergo's, dry clutch on/off grabbing, stiff clutch lever, clunk transmission, the oem Showa suspension might as well be welded in place, the rake is terrible causing very heavy steering. Get it on the track though and it's magic!!
I believe most of your complaints could be addressed. All except the "forward ergos" which obviously come into their own at higher speeds.
My clutch doesn't grab - not at all. Correct set-up needed here.
The heavy clutch lever action can be addressed with a larger bore slave cylinder. Mine is amazingly light with an MPL 30 mm.
The "transmission clunk" is a symptom of needing the clutch fluid flushed and bled. Many don't realise that this fluid should be serviced as soon as it discolours (worth using a light-coloured fluid to show this).
This is one of the most frequent service items on the bike. I do mine as often as I lube the chain.
The "heavy steering" is probably more a function of the sitting angle than the rake, which at around 24.5 degrees is quite steep. (The old SS models were around 30 degrees). Your steering damper may be offering more resistance than it should. Is yours adjustable?
And the stiff "welded" suspension sounds like it needs some setting up for your weight. The rear spring is often too stiff to allow for a passenger. Front springs are stiff to permit heavy braking.
Just some ideas to think about, as these bikes can be such a pleasure to ride with this work done. Not necessarily all that expensive - much of it you can do yourself.
OK - back to the Buell..
idrinkbeer likes this.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote