HID headlights - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Site sponsor

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten-6
I'm not doubting you but the e-Moto site makes it sound like a plug-n-play operation and about $420 for the 6000k system, $380 for the 4100k.

May very well be but we did purchase all the parts localy here in Florida mid. Feb. when there was nothing elsewhere offered and gave it a try, maby somebody finaly came up with a nice quick package deal.
SHIFT-TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #17

Got'ya, A totally one-off system. That, I can see being more involved.

Ben Franklin

Ten-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #18

FYI guys - as per Charliep's advice I have purchased the 6000k 2 bulb/ballast kit from the e-bay vendor - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H11-A...5827QQtcZphoto

I'll let you know how it turns out.
colorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorob
FYI guys - as per Charliep's advice I have purchased the 6000k 2 bulb/ballast kit from the e-bay vendor - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H11-A...5827QQtcZphoto

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hey Colorob,

I need to understand something, what made you choose the 6000k as say for example the 10000K?
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeelge
Hey Colorob,

I need to understand something, what made you choose the 6000k as say for example the 10000K?
10000k gives more of a purple color but less light output. If you want to maximize the brightness go with a 4100k. I used 6000k, its right in the middle in brightness and gives a bluish color
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #21

Hi Smeelge -
I concur with Doc there. The higher you go up in kelvin (k) - the lower your lumens actually is (the amount of actual light output). Have you ever seen those sooped-up Japanese racers (like Hondas, Toyotas, ect) that have REALLY blue or even purpleish HID headlights? Those guys have 10,000k or over - not quite fitting for the purpose-built 1098 I would say.

I have 4500k stock on my Audi S4 and they are pretty much "hyper white" - 6000k gives you that slightly blueish-white light... and doesn't suffer the loss of lumens. If you have seen stock late-model BWMs' headlights - that is closer to the real world look that a 6000k light would provide.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #22

Much Appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #23

Thumbs up auto/motorcycle HID xenon light on sale

Hello,everybody,

Are you planing to buy HID Xenon light for you car or mortorcyle?we have all the HID Light model for all the car and motorcycle with high quanlity and competitive price.The products cover the color temperature from 4300k to 12000k as well as some color bulb light.
For more info about us you can browse our website
www.popnowhid.com.if any item are of interest to you pls feel free to contact us.we will be gald to offer you all best price and service.

E-mail: [email protected]

MSN: [email protected]
Attached Images

zxl020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #24

Got my HID kit in today - looks fairly do-able. I'll try to find time to install them this week and see how they work.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #25

OK - my HID installation was a success! I purchased the 2 ballast/bulb H11 6000k kit and now have both high and low-beam HIDs. It was a very straightforward install - just had to drill a couple 3/4 inch holes in the headlight housing covers to allow the wires from the HID bulbs to exit to the ballasts (which I mounted behind the left and right fairings).

It took me a total of one hour and it looks AWESOME with the new crisp light. This is really what Ducati should have installed from the factory I think. A headlight system befitting the Ducati name - I know today's Ferrari doesn't come with halogens..... so why not the "Ferrari of motorcycles" ?

I can take pics when I get back from a business trip next week.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorob
OK - my HID installation was a success! I purchased the 2 ballast/bulb H11 6000k kit and now have both high and low-beam HIDs. It was a very straightforward install - just had to drill a couple 3/4 inch holes in the headlight housing covers to allow the wires from the HID bulbs to exit to the ballasts (which I mounted behind the left and right fairings).

It took me a total of one hour and it looks AWESOME with the new crisp light. This is really what Ducati should have installed from the factory I think. A headlight system befitting the Ducati name - I know today's Ferrari doesn't come with halogens..... so why not the "Ferrari of motorcycles" ?

I can take pics when I get back from a business trip next week.
Rob,

HOLY FRIGG!! 3/4" holes?!?! for wires? What am I missing? If you're going to post some pics for us, would you mind including shots of the holes, so I can see what you mean?

Were the instructions straight forward? I really like the look too, and althought I'm pretty handy, I'm a little reluctant because she so new and I don't want to f-up. Any way you can scan and post the installation instructions too?

Much appreciated....Rob.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to DucatiGuy
Smeegle.... Here ya go, that's that LARGE rubber gromet we're all talking about. There are a total of four wires that go through it. You could most def use a smaller gromet, but that's what the kit I got came with already setup with, so instead of hunting down a smaller gromet, that's what I used.

I've covered the four wires using a small piece of black plastic automotive wire loom. Kind of cleans it up a bit.

Here are the "plug n play" instructions that came with my kit. As you can see its VERY easy to set up. There's no cutting, splicing, or any actual "wirring" that needs to be done. Just plug and play....

Ohhh and FYI the bottom second installation option on the install sheet is what you'll need to follow for the 1098 install.....

Hope these pics help...

Last edited by DucatiGuy; April 20th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
DucatiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Last but not least, to make the 3/4" hole drilling easy and quick, may I suggest the use of a "Unibit" . . . .

You can pick one up from most any hardware store or the depot. They're a bit on the pricey side, sometimes costing as much as a whole set of drill bits, but remember you're paying for the ease of use and convenience. They work equally well on plastic as they do on metal and wood. Itís a great all in one tool box bit!
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #29

Thanks Ducati Guy....

I just went to the ebay site to order a set on-line and it won't accept my payment even though I'm using PayPal...why? becuase I'm from Canada! WTF!

I've sent them a note and hope to hear from them soon...

Much appreciated....how about some pics with the ligths in action? I don't recall seeing them in your album...errrr maybe I was disctracted? I'll check again...my luck I'll get distracted again...

Cheers
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

No worries man... Sorry to hear about your eBay woes... See if they can work something out for ya.

As for some action pics, I'll see if I can get a running / motion vid of my 1098 with the HID's tonight...