ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   1198 tank drama (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/51759-1198-tank-drama.html)

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 05:59 AM

1198 tank drama

Hello all,
I've been fixing up my '09 1198. Just had all of her carbon re finished. And tons of other work.

Go figure when I think we are all done-
Now we ran into this problem- the carbon fiber tank is no longer holding up on the inside and is breaking away ;(
Outside is gorgeous after its new finish. Such a drag.
How, whom, and what, can I recoat the inside of this tank with??
Fast replys are awesome' bc she is in the shop again. Of coarse- her favorite spot to be lmao.
Thats why she got the name addy "Temptation the b**ch"
Love the darn thing regardless.
Thanks much ;)

Donger June 21st, 2013 06:55 AM

Your best bet is to get on motowheels' group buy for the aluminum tank for $1650. Zero issues with the aluminum tank.
If only I had money to spend on the new tank.

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 07:04 AM

Thanks Donger- but my bike is all carbon fiber, so fixing is my only choice

DVFlyer June 21st, 2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temptation1198 (Post 699428)
Thanks Donger- but my bike is all carbon fiber, so fixing is my only choice

Don't know if the Coswell (sp?) coatings can be applied to carbon fiber, but that is what's used to coat the plastic tanks.

Otherwise, would painting/ wrapping the aluminum tank in CF/ CF- look be an option?

DGAF848 June 21st, 2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temptation1198 (Post 699411)
Hello all,
I've been fixing up my '09 1198. Just had all of her carbon re finished. And tons of other work.

Go figure when I think we are all done-
Now we ran into this problem- the carbon fiber tank is no longer holding up on the inside and is breaking away ;(
Outside is gorgeous after its new finish. Such a drag.
How, whom, and what, can I recoat the inside of this tank with??
Fast replys are awesome' bc she is in the shop again. Of coarse- her favorite spot to be lmao.
Thats why she got the name addy "Temptation the b**ch"
Love the darn thing regardless.
Thanks much ;)

My buddy repairs very expensive boats. He always tells me he can fix any carbon fiber part. I sent him a message Explaining your problem. Maybe there is a resin you could put on the inside of the tank to stop it from getting any worse and then use an epoxy coating to stop it from being eaten away again. This is nothing new with carbon tanks though so hopefully he will have a solution for you.

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVFlyer (Post 699432)
Don't know if the Coswell (sp?) coatings can be applied to carbon fiber, but that is what's used to coat the plastic tanks.

Otherwise, would painting/ wrapping the aluminum tank in CF/ CF- look be an option?

Ya I'm not sure either. Thx good lead' I will try to find out. And no, I can't throw that much down and cover up such a nice tank.

heywier4277 June 21st, 2013 12:20 PM

caswell is the best.

i have done my tanks with this product and am always happy with the results.

we just got a tank "professionally painted and sealed" from a customer, which proceeded to bubble the paint off because the "professional" used the b.s. rustolium crap. it has already peeled off the inside of the tank and has started to clog the filter.

its takes time to DIY it but its worth saving the $250.00 I charge $300.00 for most tanks.

blablac June 21st, 2013 12:50 PM

Do you just mix it up - pour it inside and then move the tank around for the coating to get everywhere ?

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGAF848 (Post 699433)
My buddy repairs very expensive boats. He always tells me he can fix any carbon fiber part. I sent him a message Explaining your problem. Maybe there is a resin you could put on the inside of the tank to stop it from getting any worse and then use an epoxy coating to stop it from being eaten away again. This is nothing new with carbon tanks though so hopefully he will have a solution for you.

Thanks for looking into that for me :D need all tips tricks and help I can get with this'

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 12:58 PM

Heyweir- great tip' but I can't find anything on the web about it being safe with carbon tanks..? :confused: I'm pretty hesitant for the worry of this eating the tank
Ok blonde I typod in google search ' ;6
thx looks perfect!

viperpilot June 21st, 2013 01:22 PM

I used the Coswell on my CDT CF tank for my R....It has never leaked.

heywier4277 June 21st, 2013 02:21 PM

i found this:

Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

says they've used it on carbon fiber and Kevlar.

motowheels June 21st, 2013 02:28 PM

We have been coating plastic, carbon fiber and ETI Fiberglass/Kevlar tanks for many years with Caswell .

No problems if you follow the directions closely and take your time.

-M

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heywier4277 (Post 699509)
i found this:

Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

says they've used it on carbon fiber and Kevlar.

Thank- you magician! Awesome can't wait to give it a go!
;) Gratzi this is top of the list now'

Temptation1198 June 21st, 2013 09:22 PM

Thanks Viper an Moto great to hear its been trialed! Guess Phil would of received a bonus had I bought the tank he recd lol Thx Phil but I recycle first ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilDucati (Post 699444)
sorry I have to say this, no one will fix your inside carbon tank even the mfg of that tank won't fix it, you have to kiss that tank good bye, Carbon cost a lot of money but one little mistake hole some where inside the tank then the gas eat up and mess up the whole tank

get oem tank put your baby back on road.