Help. Clutch jammed - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]
[Sport 1000 S]

Help. Clutch jammed

I was riding my 1198SP in canyons today. Downshifted before corner, than went to up shift (3 or 4, not sure) , heard a clunck and didn't feel like the gear didn' t engage all the way. Anyways, let the clutch out and immediately knew there was something wrong. The bike started going and "stopping" and feeling like shit. Tried to switch gears and it was jammed. Pulled over and shut it off still in gear. Tried to shift it, but didn't budge. Started bike, let out clutch and the clutch plate spun rapidly and then caught and bike moved. After examining bike and talking with friends, decided to limp back home (near by). After about one mile in one gear, heard a clunk and bike started being able to shift again. Took it to shop and they said that "sometimes a bad shift can get gear jamed, but will work out and be ok (which obviously happened). Don't think it's a broken spring. Clutch mechanism synchro? My 6th super bike engine and never had this problem. Any thoughts?
2..8 Sport Classic 1000S (sold)
2005 xx9 (sold)
Many others that have come and gone...
Zeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

For peace of mind I would take the left side case off and inspect the shifter fork. Sometimes a few of the associated bolts come loose, or even the return spring is bad/ has become weak. There are a few good threads on the topic with good close ups. But if it's still under warranty I would perhaps be a bit more ambitious towards the dealer.
Joeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3

No ducatis in the registry

No way I'd just let that go. Have them (or another shop) pull the covers off and see what's what.
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]
[848]

It could be the shifter return lever. Its a common problem on all Ducati's and things could be out of whack from initial assembly, ya never know. Thats the left side engine cover removal to check the shifter drum.

I've also seen this problem when the shifter linkage gets stuck as well. First thing I'd do is disconnect all the linkage and make sure it moves smoothly.
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I had the same thing happen. The shifter fork is not aligned properly and when it slides out it is just stuck until you take it apart. Once it is aligned or adjusted properly you should not have any more problems with it. Mine happened with 137 miles on the bike. The day after I bought it I had that problem.
2005 Ducati 999
2010 Ducati 1198
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Nightster (WIFE'S)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (WIFE'S)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
pottebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 SP]

I had something similiar but not as bad. Got very hard to get in gear but luckily i was close to home. Spoke to Rockwell Cycles they said the Brembo MC that are on our Ducs sometimes take in air. He said they never made a recall but if you crack the bleeder at the MC it will cure it. Sure as shit, I held the lever about half way in and cracked the bleeder. and heard air come out and alot of it. Once i saw fluid at the tip of the nipple i closed it back up. Good to go ever since

I too have the 1198SP
Skee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]
[Sport 1000 S]

Thanks for info, everyone. Luckily still under warranty so taking into shop tomorrow. Could probably do it myself (spent a few years dissembling and re-assembling a couple 999's), but hey it sounds like an inherent Ducati Co issue and should be covered.
2..8 Sport Classic 1000S (sold)
2005 xx9 (sold)
Many others that have come and gone...
Zeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]
[848]

Where you located in LA Zeaner? I'm helping a buddy fix the very same issue on his 848 tomorrow morning in Santa Monica. He got ambitious and bought a lightweight flywheel since we had to pull the alternator /flywheel hub anyway to get to the fork spring. Should go back together pretty easily.

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

http://www.meetup.com/ducatiridersclub/
garrettjkubiak is offline   Reply With Quote