Up In Smoke! - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Up In Smoke!

My first Ducati. I purchased the 1098 back in October and took possession of it in April of this year. Weather sucks in Chicago, so I took advantage of it and picked up the carbon fiber exhaust covers, bar ends and the such. This Memorial Day I wanted to show it off to my brother and his kids. I rolled it out of the garage, started it and gave a quick rev. nothing to substantial, just a pinch.
White smoke started pouring out of the fairings and I can not remember if I cut the ignition or it died. Either way, the amount of smoke and the smell of electric burning was very alarming. It being Memorial Day and after 5pm, all the local shops are closed and it is at home so it isn’t an emergency for road side assistance to haul away. Today was 83 degrees and partly cloudy, this evening it is 72 degrees and clear. PERFECT riding weather and the duc is down!
After the smoke cleared I turned the key back to the on position with some hesitation and I get absolutely nothing.
Has anyone a clue?
I will call my dealer tomorrow, but geese. The bike is less than 2 months old, with less than 90 miles on her! ANYONE?

I also have noticed prior to the death of the duc… the last 2 out of 3 times I started her, it took a second push of the starter to get her running…. almost like it wasn’t getting enough charge, or spark, or fuel or something. I don’t know if it is a related problem, but I am having more issues than my father with his Harley!
Kevin Kaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

battery

It,s more than likely a battery terminal has come loose.you'll find it under the left hand fairing.
paddyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyduc View Post
It,s more than likely a battery terminal has come loose.you'll find it under the left hand fairing.
I've never had a lose battery terminal cause a bike to smoke the way as described.

FYI Kevin, my bike with 3500 miles takes a few pushes to start. Sounds a bit serious to me - something somewhere has gotten too hot and melted or you put diesel in it by accident!
Nick Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Sounds to me like a power circuit has shorted to earth or vice-versa, bikes and cars alike use some slow burn fuses which will allow quick bursts of high current, however i have seen these fail where the circuit was allowed by the fuse to draw massive current before finally blowing the fuse, high current produces massive heat and when the insulation used for wiring heats up it produces white smoke and a smell that will hang around for days.

IMO, your description of the problem makes it sound very serious and best left in the hands of the pros!
oz1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

This happened to me today on my 848, except it happened just as I shut it off when parking it.. An hour or so later when I took off again, no problem?!?

Did you figure out what it was?
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Bump
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #7

I had this same issue. By hitting the horn (no, really) it cleared. Come to find out a wire was loose in the fuse box.

Sooooo...check all the wires going from the fuse box
DesmoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Jason
Attached Images

Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Heh,

Jason just promoted a couple of Pot Smoking Hippies. Feel the love brother.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Jason

Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Went to start it yesterday and had only 11.2V and once running wasn't getting any charge.. So I guess I've caught the dreaded fried rectifier bug.

Hopefully it will make it to the shop this morning to get rectified
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Well it didn't make it.. Died 2 blocks from the shop (it was a 5 minute trip) just as it started to piss down with rain.. Uphill all the way.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My tech advised me to put some Thermal Tec sheeting on the backside of my rectifier as I had burnt some plastics near my midpipes. I guess I'll do it sooner rather than later.
subduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

The rectifier/regulator burn up on my '08 1098 at 115 miles. Of course under warranty but I was told it was a one in a million thing. Sounds a bit less than a million to me.
chromefire is offline   Reply With Quote