Clutch plates - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #31

No ducatis in the registry

I wiped the oil off with a towel and stuck them in. Shifting is definitely something you can feel but overall I'm very impressed. I will try to keep you up to date but for me I've heard nothing but good things about them. With that being said I did read the reviews on amazon and one said great things the other said it didn't fit his bike and gave it a one star. I guess he wasn't smart enough to order the right set for his bike.
RNJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #32

I have an 02' ST2 I purchased new with 18.5K on the clock. This is my second duck and at my age I would like to sell. Prospective owners, (most do not know what a Ducati is), run away when you start it up. Reading through the posts, I see where the clearance between the driven plate and the clutch basket is 0.023 inches. I just checked mine during the winter maintenance and I get a consistent 0.034 inches. The plate dogs and the basket surfaces do not show damage to account for the increased clearance. I do not think the clutch is any more loud than it was when new. Is it possible there was a manufacturing variance to cause the difference in the factory spec? QUESTION? has anyone ever considered forming an alloy insert into both sides of the clutch basket to tighten things up? I am an engineer and a decent fabricator and am working on a die to press some out of stainless shim stock. Is there a minimum clearance between the basket and drive plates? Is there a measurement of the width of the drive plates and maybe this is the reason for the noise?

Thanks in advance...
duckluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 07:57 PM   #33

The Barnett clutch baskets have inserts - Ducati Clutch Baskets
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckluvr View Post
Reading through the posts, I see where the clearance between the driven plate and the clutch basket is 0.023 inches. I just checked mine during the winter maintenance and I get a consistent 0.034 inches.

The plate dogs and the basket surfaces do not show damage to account for the increased clearance. I do not think the clutch is any more loud than it was when new. Is it possible there was a manufacturing variance to cause the difference in the factory spec?

Is there a minimum clearance between the basket and drive plates?
Measure the basket diameters to see if the fingers have spread – this could be the reason for your excessive clearance. Note that in the Barnett basket picture posted by Aussie_Bob that the fingers are reinforced by a metal ring to prevent this distortion.

The clearance between the plate tabs and basket can be close to zero as long as the plates move freely in-and-out. Some aftermarket plate tabs need to be filed to get enough clearance to allow the plates to move freely.
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote