Two up on a 1098 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Two up on a 1098

Well, the good news is that I found a gorgeous girl, infatuated with Ducati, who has the courage to ride two up with me on my 1098.

The bad news is that I am concerned that even her petite frame will upset the weight distribution such that the front will come up even faster upon launch or acceleration. My nightmare is a total flip etc.

So, may I please have this forum's learned advice on

1. required adjustments on suspension settings etc.
2. required changes in riding style to stay safe
3. general experience with a pillion rider on the 1098

Many thanks in advance.

Robert

2007 Ducati 1098
2006 Ducati Paul Smart 1000LE
2006 BMW R1200RT (sold)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (sold)
1993 Honda ST1100 ABS (sold)
1991 Honda Pacific Coast (gotta learn it on something...sold)
Robert vZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:28 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Send a message via MSN to kingy1098s
ok i have a few tips.

1. no lane splitting at any time.
2. tell her she needs to lean with you into the corners and not try to stay upwards
3. take it easy accelerating dont take off fast at all ok.
just some simple things.

do you have a 1098S where you can modify the acc curve on your computer??
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks! All makes sense. No, I have the 'basic' 1098...

2007 Ducati 1098
2006 Ducati Paul Smart 1000LE
2006 BMW R1200RT (sold)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (sold)
1993 Honda ST1100 ABS (sold)
1991 Honda Pacific Coast (gotta learn it on something...sold)
Robert vZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My ex was only 100 pounds and she still felt like she was standing on the back of the bike.

I just found that it is easier if they lean down and try to stay at a constant position during cornering so that it is consistent for you to try to control the bike, because usually they can't get a good feel for how much to lean and when. I just told her to stay at a constant position and let me do the leaning and the turning to keep things even, worst of all avoid weight distribution changes mid-corner.

Even so, as long as your 'partner' is under 200 or so if you are an experienced rider you shouldn't have a problem on the street. Just need to keep the bike vertical as much as possible at low speeds. As for the track, I have no experience in two-up riding.
hicks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

[quote=kingy1098s;73586]ok i have a few tips.
2. tell her she needs to lean with you into the corners and not try to stay upwards
quote]

Good advice, but just wanted to put my 0.02 in. Since it's been stated here that even sometimes they don't know how to lean or when or how much, for 2 up riding, probably the best way to assist with weight distribution is to just have her look over your shoulder into a turn. This is enough to get her weight balanced with yours through the turn. If a right hand turn, just have her look over your right shoulder. If in a left hand turn, look over your left shoulder. Too much body english from a passenger not knowing when or how much to lean can upset your balance. Try this and let us know how it goes...
=========

2005 Acura TL
Grr848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks1098 View Post
My ex was only 100 pounds and she still felt like she was standing on the back of the bike.

I just found that it is easier if they lean down and try to stay at a constant position during cornering so that it is consistent for you to try to control the bike, because usually they can't get a good feel for how much to lean and when. I just told her to stay at a constant position and let me do the leaning and the turning to keep things even, worst of all avoid weight distribution changes mid-corner.

Even so, as long as your 'partner' is under 200 or so if you are an experienced rider you shouldn't have a problem on the street. Just need to keep the bike vertical as much as possible at low speeds. As for the track, I have no experience in two-up riding.

What? No pillion experience on the track. I dont think I have ever seen two up on the track.
B Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I can tell you right now; this bike is a b1tch to take passengers on. You will find them sliding down into your seat. =[ My gf is pretty petite and she is always sliding forward into my seat…

My advice, buy another bike to take people with you on cause this one is not made for it at all. =]

Jason

Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to nitsuj
I haul my wife around. She reports it isn't that bad. Not as comfy as my CBR900, but doable for short jaunts.

As for 2 up on the track, I've seen it. Sometimes it's done as a promotional thing. Like taking a reporter for a ride for a news story. Or just for giggles. Team Promotion's Glenn Goldman takes folks around the track. Took my wife a few years back. She loved it. Sometimes pros do it at press events. One of the retired racers is currently offering laps on the back of his GP prepped bike. I can't for the life of me remember who though.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Soz
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy1098s View Post

do you have a 1098S where you can modify the acc curve on your computer??
Huh? Can you please elaborate on what this means?

Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1199]

Don't forget all the new pretty scratches she is going to put all over your tail section. I won't ever go two up on my 1098. The seat is just to small to keep all the buttons and stuff off the paint. One chick F-d up my old gsxr just by dragging her hand over the tank. ( I think she had 3 rings on )
gsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1098s south aus View Post
Huh? Can you please elaborate on what this means?
the 1098 s has the usb data port where if you know wot your doing you can change how the bike performs. least i think you can. i was told its the same as my power camander only it records aswell.

i should probly check this out in the manual and get bak to you
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:46 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Modify The Acc Curve On Computer ??? How To Do Can You Explain Do You Mean Lap Top With Software Installed Or Something Else.
Cheers
H
HAWKHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKHILL View Post
You Mean Lap Top With Software Installed Or Something
H
yep
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #14
Soz
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy1098s View Post
the 1098 s has the usb data port where if you know wot your doing you can change how the bike performs. least i think you can. i was told its the same as my power camander only it records aswell.

i should probly check this out in the manual and get bak to you
semi correct. Yes it is a data recorder, and you can access some information, however you cannot effect any changes to the bikes performance or engine management from it.

Power Commander is a piggy back unit that intercepts the signal to the injectors, and can alter air/fuel mixes, thus richening or leaning the engine out.

I wouldn't go back to whoever gave you that info.

Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I don't know?

I don't know guy's. I don't tell a passenger to "Lean". I usually take the time to explain that if they keep their body aligned with mine we will be just fine. I find non motorcycle people to be OVER reactive. You really don't "lean" two up so much as keep your body in line with the bike and NOT perpendicular to the ground. Simply go with the flow. I have found if you tell them that have to lean, they get freaked out and you'll have them shifting around all over the place when you are in a corner.

Also, on this bike, I have good results when I have the passenger put her hands on the tank in front of me. Kind of where your tank guard is. This puts her body more to the center of the bike and keeps her weight off of your back when you are stopping.

LAST (I know I talk to much) Q is right......If you are going to ride two up more than once in a while.....get a two up FRIENDLY bike cause the 1098 is NOT that!