$17,000 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

$17,000

That is how much the dealership said it was going to be to fix my bike! I think they are just trying to make some money off of the insurance company. There is no way there is that much damage to the bike. Oh well, I guess if you want to ride Italian you have to get used to things being expensive.
deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Send a message via AIM to da3bous
Wow that sucks. I'm guessing they are going to total it?!?!?!
da3bous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
That is how much the dealership said it was going to be to fix my bike! I think they are just trying to make some money off of the insurance company. There is no way there is that much damage to the bike. Oh well, I guess if you want to ride Italian you have to get used to things being expensive.
why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it"
thats why you pay them every month.
Ghostrider_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #4

"why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it""

Demon, I wonder where the insurance company is going to get the money to pay that claim. Does it come from the government? Does it come from God?

No, it comes from the premiums WE pay!

Think abvout it.

Do you think your insurance company is the Easter Bunny?

We all pay for all that shit the you don't care about when your insurance campany "pays it"

Pull your head out of your ass and wake up.

Houston, Texas
texdpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

If that were me? I'd take the insurance money, buy the bike back, and have 2 Ducati's within a month. Done and Done!
CCS AM #700
TPM Coach #700
www.Teampromotion.com
2005 GSXR 750
2008 Ducati 848
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdpl View Post
"why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it""

Demon, I wonder where the insurance company is going to get the money to pay that claim. Does it come from the government? Does it come from God?

No, it comes from the premiums WE pay!

Think abvout it.

Do you think your insurance company is the Easter Bunny?

We all pay for all that shit the you don't care about when your insurance campany "pays it"

Pull your head out of your ass and wake up.
you sound like a tax slave, your are getting it either way. and you will have to pay them for it "forcefully"it ain't democracy. so the guy pays his premium like everyone else and the insurance company increase everyones insurance because they are thief's, just like your government. simple enough texas boy?

more simple, your 200 pay check a week, do you think your bank keeps it for
you so you can withdrew it? nope they invest it without asking you, "they are only required by the FEDs" to keep 20% of the deposit to any account" and they
will return your money, and they made profit either ways. hint "like insurance companies".

Last edited by Ghostrider_2020; June 23rd, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to nitsuj
Tex, I don't think I understand your point. So, my state says I have to have insurance on my bike. I pay a fairly large bill to them every month. I never make a claim. I keep paying, and they keep spending the money I'm paying. So, where did my money go? To God? To the Easter Bunny? I mean, I paid it to someone, right? So, when I finally do wreck my bike, you're saying I shouldn't claim it? I should just pay for the damage myself? Then after I pay for the damage and get my bike back, I keep paying insurance, because I have to. But when I need it, I should never use it?
Why would we pay insurance then never use it? Where did my money go? YOU are paying for the claims? What about ME? What am I paying for?

Not only is your logic flawed, but you're being a jerkoff about it.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
If that were me? I'd take the insurance money, buy the bike back, and have 2 Ducati's within a month. Done and Done!
+1

How can it be that much to fix the bike? I hope "fix" means total at this point...

Jason

Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #9

The total included all new plastics and a complete front end. Frame was fine. I told my insurance company that if they are going to write it off I want to buy it back. I priced out a few things and doind the work myself I was at a grand total of $6500. I would say that is a pretty cheap Ducati. I still think that the dealership is trying to make a buck. If it was any of us that went in there and we told them we were going to pay for it out of pocket, I guarantee you that the price would be a lot lower. No wonder premiums are so high.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Wow, $6500? I bet you could do it for a lot less than that! Look around the classifieds here and on other sites. I see Ohlins forks for $2000, rims, rotors, shocks, etc... You could turn it into an S for less than $6500. Plastics? Get yourself some Sharkskinz and get them painted for a total of maybe $1200.

Not certain what the Canadian laws are. Here in Pennsyltucky you can spend $250 to go through a special inspection. If the bike is set back up to stock and passes this inspection your title is reclassified as "Rebuilt" instead of salvage. This title can be registered with the state just like a clean title.

Think about THAT for a moment. Collect a check for $17,000 minus the buy back cost. Spend another...okay $6500...on repairs to get the bike legal again. And you've just bought yourself a 1098 at a 66% discount. Not bad.
CCS AM #700
TPM Coach #700
www.Teampromotion.com
2005 GSXR 750
2008 Ducati 848
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #11

The laws up here are pretty much the same, get the inspection and it is listed as repaired. MSRP up here is 19995 so I will get that back because I only had 550km on it. I will turn around and buy it back and buy a new one. I was looking at suspension and I am torn between ohlins or marzocchi. Any ideas?
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #12

The dealer's estimate is to make you whole. I'm assuming your bike is fairly new. They are pricing how much to get your bike back to new. When my first bike was totaled, you wouldn't have thought it was that bad. The dealer wanted to replace the frame because the mounting tab for the radiator was bent. I'm sure the bike could have been fixed and broken parts replaced for around $5000. But the dealer felt that i had effectively a brand new bike and they wanted me to have exactly that. I was happy that the bike was totaled because of the stories I read on these forums about people waiting months for parts. in my case it was a hit and run so the insurance claim isn't going to hurt me.
DeathBySnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
So, my state says I have to have insurance on my bike. ... I keep paying insurance, because I have to. ...
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property. You are not required by the state to have insurance coverage for your own property (comprehensive &/or collision), though you would be required to purchase such coverage by any lien holder (i.e., the bank).
FlyerLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerLen View Post
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property. You are not required by the state to have insurance coverage for your own property (comprehensive &/or collision), though you would be required to purchase such coverage by any lien holder (i.e., the bank).
Such deals will break your back, and the way insurance companies are setup is that you get more bang for the buck with full coverage. unless of course you live in a city by your self. I don't mind those insurances but
to be required to operate such a vehicle is just plain b.s.

Glad to hear you are resolving the issue, I know a
guy who had an auto accident and the insurance
is still giving him hard time to fix it 2 months after the accident.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to nitsuj
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerLen View Post
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property.
100% true. The state says that I have to have liability. I'd be foolish to not have more than that on a bike that cost as much as my Duc, plus costs asmuch to repair. Its my choice to have full coverage. My point remains thought. I'm not screwing other people over by lawfully using the service I've been paying for. Not scamming them, or mis-using it. Just using the service I pay for.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote