Sh&t - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Sh&t

OK, what is the dealer going to BANG me for a new rear tire??? I took a pretty big nail in the middle of the tire. Yesterday and today it was flat! I filled it and soaped it and it is leaking under higher pressure so I don[t think it will make it the 40 miles to the dealer.

What do you think about pluging it just so I can ride it up there (40 miles)? I have an appointment for them to look at my clutch on Tuesday so it would be nice to be able to
1. ride this weekend
2. ride to the appointment and kill two birds with one stone

OR! Would I be pushing KILLING myself. I mean it IS the REAR tire so if it looses air it won't be TOO bad.

I know I could order one and have a local shop put it on but then I'd be down for at least a week and I won't be able to take that.

What do you think>
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

OH yeah

What are the odds that Gengras Ducati (Hartford CT) service department is open and will change it for me on a Saturday morning????

I could trailer it up there and be there for 8:00AM if I thought they would take it and do it right then.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I say plug it until you can get to your scheduled appointment, then get a new tire. Just keep an eye on it. I pluged a tire on my old ZX7 that I rode everyday, and I rode for a LONG time with that plug in there and never had a single problem, never lost air or anything. I think you'd be fine with a plug for a couple of days. Like I said just be mindful of it and watch the plug and your air pressures. JMHO. Nails Suck!

-ND

"GO NICKY!!!"
natedogg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to nitsuj
I have thousands of miles on plugged tires. Key thing is you can't use the plugs you get from the auto parts store that you install from the outside. The tire has to come off the wheel and you need to plug from the inside with a special plug. It's sort of like a patch with a plug attached. Thinkof a giant rubber roofing nail, if that makes sense. If you put it in right, the plug becomes part of the tire. And that patch makes it impossible for it to come out. I've never had one leak. I wouldn't do a track day on one, but for street riding, if I put a hole in an otherwise good tire, I'l plug it. In fact, the rear tire of my 900RR is plugged as we speak.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via Yahoo to B1GPAP1
I used a regular plug on my rear tire on my ZX-10R for about a week before the tire i had ordered came in before
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks

I think I'll put a standard plug in it tomorrow and get it to the appointment (by trailer perhaps) and get a new tire. I have driven on plugged tires as well but I always had three other good tires under me.

They say plugs can be as good as the original but the probability they fail is HIGHER that if it was a brand new tire and I'm getting to old to be worrying about blowing a tire on a turn on the street OR the track.

Thanks for your help guy's
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

The stock Supercorsa Pros are backordered - I've had one on order for a couple of weeks now. If you plug it, just be sure to keep your speed down.
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Hoping

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
The stock Supercorsa Pros are backordered - I've had one on order for a couple of weeks now. If you plug it, just be sure to keep your speed down.
Kind of hoping I can call my dealer and they have one in stock. Fat chance the way MY luck has been going lately.

Thanks again
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1703 View Post
Kind of hoping I can call my dealer and they have one in stock. Fat chance the way MY luck has been going lately.

Thanks again
Not very likely. The popularity of the 1098 combined with how fast that tire wears out, the super-high cost of the tire, and the ready availability of lower cost Michelin and other good (better?) replacement tires all work againt us. Call ahead to reserve one JIC.
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Sponsor

No ducatis in the registry

Once I burned through the stock SuperCorsas I switched to the Bridgestone BT-002RS. I burned off the rear first and switched to the BT-002 rear with the SC still on the front for a while, then after a couple more track days I swapped out the front. I highly recommend them for lower cost, better life, and as far as I can tell the same level of grip the SC's have at track days. I haven't had the rear BT-002 step out on me, and I've pushed the front pretty hard with no major slips either, I'd say they grip 90% of what a race tire will do. Great tires, and more affordable, those SC's are outrageously expensive for street tires.
jarelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #11

No ducatis in the registry

I would just get a new one ASAP, not worth the risk to me.
Ghostrider_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Holy CRAP

Just contacted my dealer, Gengras in East Hartford and they do not stock the "Stock" tire for the 1098 but they could order it for me if I would like to pay $304.00 for it!!!! If I do, they will be nice enough to take 15% off of the mounting cost!! I didn't even ask how much THAT was!!! What a bunch of CRAP!!!!

This place has been good to me as far as service but the parts cost is ridiculous!!! I'll order it on line and get it mounted by Cycle Gear for $15.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[749]

Peewee...you may want to call Cycle Gear first. i know the store i used to go to in vernon sold tires but didn't have a tire mount. every time i go into that place there is always someone there looking for a tire but leaves because they can't get them mounted there.
kilrgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Be Careful. TWO TIRES, NOT FOUR. Get it to the delaer and buy a new tire.

I personally wouldn't get on my bike with a plugged tire. NO WAY, NO EXCEPTIONS.

ONE LIFE.......
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

New Thread started.

I needed to start a new thread to get evveryones advise. See "New Tires" please help me out.