New 1098 Owner - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

New 1098 Owner

hello all... i just bought a red 1098 demo with full tremi installed. I got it from cross countr cycle in NJ great dealer and maire the sales person was a pleasure to deal with. This being my first ducati and first vtwin, i really love it. Coming from a I4 background i was a little nervous about my friends walking me on a straight line. However its not like that at all, neck to neck with a new R1. I have several questions
1) The full exhaust was factory installed before i bought it, i didn't get any paperwork or information on the ecu, i will be calling on Tue about this, is there anything in specific i should be asking for, and there is a data port under the cowl, what program do i need to access this and what can be changed via this.

2) i noticed that at 65-70mph in 6th gear if i roll the throttle there is a decent amount of clutch vibration, ( i cant read the speedo) is this normal and is there anything i can do to reduce this.

3) I noticed that my front brake is very soft at first the about 2/3 into the pull it gets very sensitive, is this normal?

Thanks, Joseph
joemoy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Joseph,
That's the same bike I demo'd first week of June that convinced me to buy a 1098.
I too was considering purchasing that same bike since it already had the Termis and ECU/filter.
Joe the tech said it was a full system but how does one know just by visually looking at it?
I ended up getting the S.
Congrats on this purchase. I did not experience any of the symptoms you describe here as the bike only had 175 miles when I rode tested it for about an hour.
They are good techs there and soon will have their own building.
cesarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3

the whole exhaust thing was my concern also, i have no proof to as what was done, just by the size of the pipes i can tell its a full system, but i cant tell anything about the ecu? they all were very nice so i trust them so far lol. yeah when i test drove the bike it only had 350 miles.
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

it has the e prom since the dash says "1098 Racing"
They are nice honest folks there in the Tech dept. Speak to Joe or his brother Jeff Trimmer. They will answer all your questions.
You can also mention my name, Cesar as I have purchased lots of bikes there!
Enjoy your new 1098 and maybe one day we can ride together.
cesarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoy29 View Post
hello all... i just bought a red 1098 demo with full tremi installed. I got it from cross countr cycle in NJ great dealer and maire the sales person was a pleasure to deal with. This being my first ducati and first vtwin, i really love it. Coming from a I4 background i was a little nervous about my friends walking me on a straight line. However its not like that at all, neck to neck with a new R1. I have several questions
1) The full exhaust was factory installed before i bought it, i didn't get any paperwork or information on the ecu, i will be calling on Tue about this, is there anything in specific i should be asking for, and there is a data port under the cowl, what program do i need to access this and what can be changed via this.

2) i noticed that at 65-70mph in 6th gear if i roll the throttle there is a decent amount of clutch vibration, ( i cant read the speedo) is this normal and is there anything i can do to reduce this.

3) I noticed that my front brake is very soft at first the about 2/3 into the pull it gets very sensitive, is this normal?
Thanks, Joseph

Dude! Number 2!!! 65-70 MPH in 6th gear???? THAT my friend is SECOND gear territory or MAYBE 3rd gear at the most. If you are crusing the highway at 60-70 the HIGHEST gear I would be in is 4th. In my experience, RPM's below 4K do not work so well on this bike. It will lurch, jump and complain as a result of anything lower than that. And the cool thing is that you have HUGE torque at 4000 RPM. If you roll the throttle on at 65MPH in 3rd gear you should remember to HOLD ON!!!

Down shift man. DOWN SHIFT

PS, why can't you read the Speedo?
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Jet

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I agree with peewee. At 55-65 I'm in 4th at best and even then I think the bike runs better in 3rd. I just take it easy when cruising. Perhaps the full Termi helps it breath better at those lower rpms but on mine, I did NOT like all the vibration in the higher gears at those speeds. I have run it in the 75-85 mph range in 5th and 6th ok though.

Jet
1970 Triumph in Trackmaster Frame
1969 BSA Lightning
1970 BSA Rocket 3
1973 Honda TL 125
1974 Yamaha 250 in Champion Frame
1984 Honda XR 100
1991 Kawasaki ZX-11

Remington 700 .308 in Accuracy International Chassis
w/Leupold 4.5-14x50 Gen2 FFP mil dot scope
..don't run, you'll only die tired..

..a sucking chestwound is nature's way of telling you your cam and concealment isn't up to scratch..
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #7

i usually just shift it up to 6th when i am on the highway cruising, i know downshifting would make more sense, with my old r1 i could just roll onto it and it would take off, i guess its a dry clutch thing
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to nitsuj
It's got nothing to do with the dry clutch. Different motors are happy in different RPM ranges. Your Duc is happier abve 4 grand. Coming from an inline 4, the motor takes some getting used to. I used to cruise in too high of a gear too. Click down a could shifts, your problem will go away.

(I hope)
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #9

it wasnt really a problem more of a concern, thanks for the help. However one more question, i drive a ton of miles and on long highway miles is there a MPG increase by staying in 6th versus 3-4th like you guys are saying
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:43 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

You try

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoy29 View Post
it wasnt really a problem more of a concern, thanks for the help. However one more question, i drive a ton of miles and on long highway miles is there a MPG increase by staying in 6th versus 3-4th like you guys are saying
You have to get out on the highway and ride the bike to see where you are comfortable. Me personally, I would not be in 6th unless I was at least going 80 and probably not even then.

You have to feel the bike when it is at certain speeds in a specific gear. As you know, your throttle can, at times, be your best friend when confronted with a potential accident situation so you need to be in a gear that provides some "Instant ON" so you can accelerate out of a bad place, instantly. For ME. that is 4th max at 65-70 MPH, more likely 3rd.

When you said that your engine was (forgive me I forgot the words you used and I'm much to lazy to go back and look) bucking or rattleing...what you were experiencing was WAY to low RPM's. Go out in your stick shift car and go 10 MPH in 4th gear. The car will not like it and it will do the same thing your bike did.

Every bike has it's comfort zones and you going from an inline 4 to a L twin means you have to learn all over again. It is a COMPLETELY different animal.

Go PLAY! Oh, yeah, as for the gas milage, who cares? You'll get between 28 and 35. Period.
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Wait..... you guys telling me that our bikes have a 6th gear?
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
Wait..... you guys telling me that our bikes have a 6th gear?
Naahhh, just a viscous rumor