ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   New Tires (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/7253-new-tires.html)

peewee1703 July 1st, 2008 06:16 PM

New Tires

OK, I started a thread when I got a flat tire the other day and I need it to go in a different direction so I started a new thread. No longer is it "To plug or not to plug"....."To ride a plugged tire or not to ride a plugged tire". The tire is plugged, it is holding air, I have put 300 pretty easy miles on it but I'm not comfortable riding HARD on it so Now the question is..... WHAT new tire/s do I buy?

As Elevens said, the Dragon Super Corsa Pro is back ordered even through the dealer. They will be shipping to the distributors around July 11. The cost for that tire from the dealer OR Cycle gear (who can mount it but cannot balance it because of the single sided swing arm design.....USELESS!!!) is $304. If I do that then I buy JUST the rear.

It is the unique size 190/55 that drives the price and lack of availability as Ducati (Me thinks) is the only one who uses 190/55 Vs. 190/50!!

Jarelj says go Bridgestone BT-002! I think I can get it (actually would buy two to keep them matched) for around $169 for the rear and less for the front. Does anyone have ant experience on them?

Then there is Michelin's. Which one. I used to run Power pilots? on my VTR and my son runs them on his CBR and loves them. What do you's guys think?

Then lets add that my dealer says he stocks Metzeler! I have ZERO experience on those. ANYONE??

OK, there is the dilemma. What do you think????

Little help here! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

02firehawk555 July 1st, 2008 07:07 PM

I liked these when I had them on my 999 and they do have sizes for the 1098

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=Corsa3

JacobWM July 2nd, 2008 07:31 AM

I've used pilot powers ct2 in the past and they're fine for on the street. They also make them in the 1098 size (190/55 rear). I'm actually running the ct2 190/55 set on my TL and they've lasted through a trackday, ~3000 miles, and still have life left..

RC51-05 July 2nd, 2008 09:29 AM

Metzler Racetecs are the Bomb!... Same compound as the Pireli Super Corsa. Only diff is the tread pattern and stiffer sidewall.. I personally prefer them over the Pireli by far..

RC

deuce July 2nd, 2008 11:42 AM

Michelin all the way! Pirelli supercorsa's can't hold a candle to the 2CT's (IMO). They are sticky on the street and they are more than adequate on the track. I put them on my RC51 and I put them on my Duc

gsxDUC July 2nd, 2008 01:21 PM

personally I wouldn't ride on a plug tire, too much of a gamble and as far the new tire I think you need to ask your self how aggressive do you ride and make the decision base on that. my choice of tires for the 1098 would be
1-pirelli super corsa pro
2-Michelin 2ct's
3-BT-002 stones
and stay away from the Metzler I never had a set of them that I like.

22SLOW July 2nd, 2008 04:04 PM

I went to the Michelin Pilot 2CT on my 1098s & perfer them for street riding. Have had no problems what so ever....got them from Motorcycle-superstore.com They had the exact sizes needed for both front & rear reasonably priced.

peewee1703 July 2nd, 2008 07:22 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I think I might give the Michilens a try. For $30 more than the stock rear I can get the set. My son runs the standard Pilot on his CBR and loves them so what the heck.

Thanks again.

batmanrr1 July 2nd, 2008 08:00 PM

there are no bad tires as long as you use the list of recomended manfacturer tires.

Buy a matched set of tires, use these recomendations quantifyably and qualitfyably to determine what you will think to be the best set of tires for you.

Bablateration July 9th, 2008 01:21 PM

I think I will be sticking with the corsa's. Ducati put em there stock for a reason

elevens July 9th, 2008 06:00 PM

That's right Bablateration and (at least this time) we know that low cost had nothing to do with it.