Dave Moss & On the Throttle DVD's - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Dave Moss & On the Throttle DVD's

Has anyone ever seen the DVD's put out by Dave Moss on Suspension Tuning?

I think they're pretty good, I must have watched them maybe 50 times and I still don't think I have it down pat.

I think my rear on my 1098s is set pretty good (I speculate mostly because Dan Kyle set it up properly according to my weight) Sag is in the proper range, she rebounds as I think it should according to Moss, so I think I'm good there. The front end is a whole other story.

After watching Dave Moss in his DVD's he suggests that 3.5" of exposed fork tubes be visible with the rider sitting in riding position on the bike (what's yours measure at?) When I tried this, I measured 4" and that was with preload backed off 100%. Can't ride like like that because its too soft. So I ended up setting it at 4 1/2 turns in from all the way out. That sort of felt ok, I didn't want to do anymore cause it will raise the front and mess with the geometry. I then proceeded to set the rebound to the point where after pushing down hard on the handle bars, it would bounce right back up and settle (no more bounces), this according to the vid (that translates to 7 clicks out from full in, factory default is 10, btw I'm a 185lbs /w gear)

What I didn't seem to get out of the vid is how to set compression right. What do you look for or measure to see if you have compression set correctly? I've been playing with it and what seems to feel right is 8 clicks out from full in (but this is street riding). Any increase is compression ie, settings closer to 0.. and I seem to feel too much short stroke hoping in the forks making it for an uncomfortable ride.

Actually, now that I write this, I think setting the compression higher toward the opposite end of the range, ie 9, 10, 11, 12 etc.. makes the front end sit lower, but when breaking hard it will dip too far as a result.

So how / what can you measure to know if it's set right?

I'm sure this affects a whole spectrum of riders...I have a track day coming in a few weeks and I'd like to feel at ease knowing that I'm close to having it set as best I can.

Thanks in advance to all who provide feedback!
Remove Ads