Starting problem. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Starting problem.

Does anyone know of a problem with "under rated" starter motors on 1098's.

I purchased a new 1098 a couple of months ago and have had sooooo many problems and wondered if these italian machines are as good as they say??!! (had 6 jap bikes)

The bike alsmost seemed like the battery was flat?? and the starter was stuck?? this happened about 6-7 times on various occasions.

They say that they have fitted an upgrade starter from and R model and it does seem to have done the trick...?? I love the bike and am V V impressed.... problems just took the edge off it a little
kjones83571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[748]
[MH900e]

do a little searching here, there are a few threads on starter problems and resolutions. no problems with mine, but stays on battery tender for a full kick

2007 1098S Red | 2002 MH900e | 1999 748S - race
2008 Suzuki SV650 - race
2002 ZX12R Ninja | 2014 Harley Ultra Limited
2002 T/A WS6 M6 | 1973 Pontiac Formula 350
FirstDuc-1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[748]
[MH900e]

BTW, welcome to the forum

2007 1098S Red | 2002 MH900e | 1999 748S - race
2008 Suzuki SV650 - race
2002 ZX12R Ninja | 2014 Harley Ultra Limited
2002 T/A WS6 M6 | 1973 Pontiac Formula 350
FirstDuc-1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
lee

I questioned the slowness of the starter on mine and was told that it is normal. "Ducatis are known for grunting starters" was the comment. I can tell you if it's not on a tender full time the electronics drain is enough to drain the batt to the point that it has a really hard time turning it over. It doesn't take that long either. Talking cold starts here.
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

So what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones83571 View Post
Does anyone know of a problem with "under rated" starter motors on 1098's.

I purchased a new 1098 a couple of months ago and have had sooooo many problems and wondered if these italian machines are as good as they say??!! (had 6 jap bikes)

The bike alsmost seemed like the battery was flat?? and the starter was stuck?? this happened about 6-7 times on various occasions.

They say that they have fitted an upgrade starter from and R model and it does seem to have done the trick...?? I love the bike and am V V impressed.... problems just took the edge off it a little
Does it just turn over slow? does it not start? The Ducati typically sounds SOOOO much slower when you are talking about the started than a Jap bike. It sounds like it is struggling because it has to over come BIG compression and it is fighting two big pistons and opposed to 4 much smaller ones. THAT is NORMAL for a Ducati.

If it is not starting after two cycles of pushing the start button than I would be concerned. I never keep the battery tender on my bike and it starts MOST times on one cycle. I ride probably every other day. I do put the tender on it in the winter but never when it is outside.

You say you have had SOOOO many problems with the bike. What are the other ones?
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #6

It would not do anything.... just click click click...... From cold and when warm after a long run so couldn't be thet bayttery.... also the battery voltage display was fine???

Seems okay now.... So does the "R" starter have more grunt??
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Volt meter

I'd check the voltage on the battery with a volt meter when it does the click, click just to be sure that your battery reading is correct. The click, click sounds like the battery voltage is not high enough to push the starter.

If the voltage is truly where it is supposed to be then I think you you either have a bad connection to the battery (check the tightness and clean the leads, you would be amazed at what LITTLE crud will disrupt good voltage delivery or cause occasional starting problems) or you just have a bad or intermittent starter. Getting a starter with more push (I'm not actually sure if the R's starter is stronger) is not necessary. A good connection OR working starter, for the 1098 is what you need.

If you look on this forum you will find threads where starters have been replaced with good results.

Take 5 minutes and clean your leads and reattach them firmly. If that does not work then go see your dealer.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #8

Thanks fo that!!!
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

It'd be worthwhile getting a Battery Tender - certainly this or something similar is available in the UK. I Put one on my 916 several years back when they had their notorious charging problems that had since been (allegedly) fixed. Good insurance that your voltage is sufficient - especially when you find yourself off the bike for a month at a time.

Other than that, just get used to the "slow" sounding starter that you get with the Italian L-twin.
EachItAndI is offline   Reply With Quote