1098 Chugging - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 Chugging

Hello:

I have a 2008 1098 about to go in for its 620-mile service and sprocket change.

Since day one I've had a problem with chugging/shuddering when moving off in first gear. Took a bit of getting used to, and I'm handling it better now through improved throttle/clutch coordination (not much friction zone in the clutch). Still shudders, though, in first and second. The dealership sales guys told me this is rather normal for this bike/engine. I've read elsewhere that the bike doesn't like low revs. I can accept all of this, but I'd like to hear from others who experienced the same and if there are any other issues that might contribute to this so that I might better describe it to the service guy when I take it in.

Many thanks.
Spadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Yup, It doesn't like low rpm. Bit of a fine line. Too much throttle and clutch feathering and you launch. Tis what it is. Never meant to be a town bike. The 14t sprocket makes it much more ridable in town.

Not sure why it'd be doing it second though. Rev's should be up by that point.
1098pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1098pilot View Post
Yup, It doesn't like low rpm. Bit of a fine line. Too much throttle and clutch feathering and you launch. Tis what it is. Never meant to be a town bike. The 14t sprocket makes it much more ridable in town.

Not sure why it'd be doing it second though. Rev's should be up by that point.
Thanks for that. Not nearly as bad in second, and it's probably me sometimes not quite giving it enough before a change from first -- which sort of confirms the "nature of the beast" theory somewhat.

Spadge
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Jet

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

When I got my 1098 I found I had to rev it much more like an in-line four than I thought I would. It may be a v-twin but it still likes to be revved out in my opinion. If you are trying to launch it under 3000 rpm, that may be it right there plus it does take a little "getting used to" in terms of the clutch/throttle action. Don't "baby" it and I think you will enjoy it more.

Respectfully,

Jet
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Good

It doesn't make any noise when you launch it does it??? I had that problem for almost a year and FINALLY got a Ducati Tech to listen to me (YEAH Josh at Gengras Ducati in East Hartford CT, I'd throw that guy a parade if I could) and he changed out the plates and now EVERYTHING is FINE!! No more shuttering, lurching no more SCREECHING!! The bike feels better than it has ever felt. Some guys were telling me I was launching too fast but I knew something else was wrong.

You do have to give this bike more RPM's than an inline 4. Actually, every twin I have ridden, Jap, Italian whatever, needs a little more wrist to get a smooth start ORRRRR almost ZERO throttle. Bare with me here. If you are starting on a level or a little of a downhill, the stock idle of 1500 RPM's or so (give or take guys) is enough to get the clutch out all the way and then just use the throttle. All depends on how fast you want to take off.

Just watch out for the Screech and if that happens get it into the dealer ASAP!!! You'll be all good.
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1703 View Post
It doesn't make any noise when you launch it does it??? I had that problem for almost a year and FINALLY got a Ducati Tech to listen to me (YEAH Josh at Gengras Ducati in East Hartford CT, I'd throw that guy a parade if I could) and he changed out the plates and now EVERYTHING is FINE!! No more shuttering, lurching no more SCREECHING!! The bike feels better than it has ever felt. Some guys were telling me I was launching too fast but I knew something else was wrong.

You do have to give this bike more RPM's than an inline 4. Actually, every twin I have ridden, Jap, Italian whatever, needs a little more wrist to get a smooth start ORRRRR almost ZERO throttle. Bare with me here. If you are starting on a level or a little of a downhill, the stock idle of 1500 RPM's or so (give or take guys) is enough to get the clutch out all the way and then just use the throttle. All depends on how fast you want to take off.

Just watch out for the Screech and if that happens get it into the dealer ASAP!!! You'll be all good.
Had the screech at the very beginning. A screech and a bucking stall (a real pelvis-thumper). Thought it was me (and quite possibly was - I had been used to Yamaha and Suzuki). After a few rides I'd gotten kinda hip to what it takes to cajole this thing into fairly smooth takeoff. I'm okay with the clutch now, but the shudder at low revs is definitely there. Right after takeoff. I have an instinctive feeling it could be a fuel delivery problem. For example, after warmup and standing still I can hold the throttle ever so slightly open and then a couple of seconds later the engine will rev up to where it should be.

Thanks for the response.

Spadge
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadge View Post
......... I have an instinctive feeling it could be a fuel delivery problem. For example, after warmup and standing still I can hold the throttle ever so slightly open and then a couple of seconds later the engine will rev up to where it should be.

Thanks for the response.

Spadge
Draw their attention to that when you get the first service done. Doesn't sound quite right does it.

Does Spadge stand for what I think it means?

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc63 View Post
Draw their attention to that when you get the first service done. Doesn't sound quite right does it.
No, it doesn't. I may just email the service guy a link to this thread so he'll be prepared. I'll probably forget half of it.

Many thanks.

Spadge
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc63 View Post
Does Spadge stand for what I think it means?
Depends what you think it means. In my case it is remembered as a common nickname for English schoolboys in the mid-20th. century. I think in certain parts of the world it now refers to certain parts of the female anatomy.

Spadge (the old-fashioned one)
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #10

Yeah, these bikes definitely do need some finesse when starting off the line. Just rev more than normal off start and use clutch to finesse it, just don't pop it hard or else you'll be stuntin!
strykerg1 is offline   Reply With Quote