Radar Detectors - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I have the STi and H.A.R.D system for my helmet which seems to work well but over here the cops are renown for using the "instant on" technique. Basically they drive along with their units off so we can't pick them up until they choose to flick them on and ping us.
However used with my eye-crometer it works pretty well and there's always the loud button if things don't pan out.

DMNTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

With instant-on radar you have to hope that your detector "sees" the coppers radar on some guy ahead of you.

No such luck with laser (Lidar). The beam is so small, if your detector detects the laser then it's too late - you're the target and you're toast. I have Lidatek LE-30 laser jammers in all my cars and let me tell you, they really, really do work well - countless stories of the confounded look on the coppers face! I don't have one on my bike because the reflective target area on the 1098 is so small (or non-existent) that a laser jammer is likely superfluous.

I've said it before, no tickets in 26 years and there is a good reason for it. Technology helps, luck is key, but nothing beats situation awareness (another good reason to fix the mirrors on thre 1098) and playing the odds (don't do 12 o'clock wheelies in the city).
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #18

No ducatis in the registry

yea that "instant on" you refer to is called pop
most of the newer radars can pick up pop, or have pop protection or pop mode... my valentine ive had for two years picks it up

the only way i have gotten a ticket in the past few years was becuase a cop was using pop and i was driving on a highway and there werent any other cars around
bstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Honestly, in my car I roll with a pair of binoculars to spot the popo. I've only had one ticket and it was when I was fuckin with the damn radio. Then again I've only been driving 2 years. I do drive ~100 all the time though. (Interstate 70mph limit)
hicks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I was behind a popo yesterday and saw something that was an eye opener. He had radar fixed to his front window (of course) but also had one on the rear window. That means he can nail you if you're speeding up BEHIND his patrol car. Damn, they're getting sneaky!
elevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Hmm that IS sneaky. I'm usually braking all the way up to their bumper haha
hicks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
He had radar fixed to his front window (of course) but also had one on the rear window. That means he can nail you if you're speeding up BEHIND his patrol car. Damn, they're getting sneaky!
Heck they've been doing that here for years along with fixed camera's on poles (not too many) and also placed into the back of a van.
Fortunately the STi picks them up...most of the time.
DMNTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1703 View Post
What detector did you buy and how much$$ I see the HARD system costs $164.99. What was the total installed price?

How do you know how well it works? Got a friend that is a cop?
They work fine. Makes NO sense to have a valentine or bell without a HARD kit. You might as well hang it up if you dont get the heads up display. Ive used this system, the same one for 3 years and 30,000 miles and it ALWAYS has worked. Be gentle with it, replace batts at least twice a season and it will save your arse!
formersver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post

I have Lidatek LE-30 laser jammers in all my cars and let me tell you, they really, really do work well - countless stories of the confounded look on the coppers face! I don't have one on my bike because the reflective target area on the 1098 is so small (or non-existent) that a laser jammer is likely superfluous.
These sound pretty cool.. I think most of or stuff is laser of late.

PLUS.. I know a lot of times the coppers are told to point the laser at the helmet of the rider because the frontal area is quite small, the matt black of the jackets is a bad reflector, the only thing to use the the helmet.

Got that little gem from the bloke here who calibrated them for the police. He got pulled over and flew up this copper because he KNEW it had been pointed at his helmet.. it's an offence to point lasers at peoples heads..

Just for what it's worth.
The reality of this situation maybe obscured by living room curtains.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Have the same set up on my 1098S (HARD + 8500)
Just be careful that the receiver does not get wet.
I have mine at the base of the back of my helmet but now when it rains, I just take it all off. I also have that plastic cover for the 8500 but just take everything off.
cesarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]
[1198 S]

I'm also using the STI Driver detector and the H.A.R.D. system in my helmet. The STI Driver is not detectable by law enforcement. So if you are in a location where detectors are illegal...it's a great solution. Of course, if they pull you over and see it...then you'll probably be getting a pretty hefty ticket. In situations like those, I'd be looking for a "Stealth" install....here's a link to my install of an STI unit and the H.A.R.D. unit

http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6355
08 1098R #33

'01 Aprilia Mille R
'04 Harley Screaming Eagle Deuce
'06 Aprilia SR50

Ice bikes galore : )

'05 Aprilia R Factory .... r.i.p.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #27

Be my Valentine...

I love my HARD on with my Valentine! Only way to go! 30,000 miles and it never has failed to go off!

Bracket made of 1/4 tinted lexan bent with heat gun to the shape taken off side fairing with a contour gauge. This way the rear sensor is able to 'see' behind you unobstructed. only other option was to mount to the underside of the right hand mirror, but that was a bitch so i gave up and mounted it to the side with a minimal invasive fastening.. works good, yet to fly off at 150!
Attached Images

formersver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #28
SAI

I just bought an STi, HARD system, and a bracket. Now to attempt to install it all, I'll take pics and post when I am done.
SAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

formersver: I want to see a pic of that black 63-64 Lincoln.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by formersver View Post
I love my HARD on with my Valentine! Only way to go! 30,000 miles and it never has failed to go off!

Bracket made of 1/4 tinted lexan bent with heat gun to the shape taken off side fairing with a contour gauge. This way the rear sensor is able to 'see' behind you unobstructed. only other option was to mount to the underside of the right hand mirror, but that was a bitch so i gave up and mounted it to the side with a minimal invasive fastening.. works good, yet to fly off at 150!
I'm planing to buy a Valentine as well. Just wondering if you have a waterproof case for it... And where did you get it.
Nando is offline   Reply With Quote