1198 Engine Replacement - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JohnDillinger84

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:37 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1198 Engine Replacement

I need to replace my engine on my 2009 1198. In shopping for engines, is has crossed my mind that it may be possible to drop a 1199 into the 1198 instead. There would have to be some wiring, ecm, instrument cluster, exhaust, etc. But what I am more concerned about is the actual frame mounting alignment. Can anyone offer any input?
JohnDillinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:13 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

1198 Engine Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDillinger84 View Post
I need to replace my engine on my 2009 1198. In shopping for engines, is has crossed my mind that it may be possible to drop a 1199 into the 1198 instead. There would have to be some wiring, ecm, instrument cluster, exhaust, etc. But what I am more concerned about is the actual frame mounting alignment. Can anyone offer any input?

Well, since the Panigale was built with the engine as a stressed member and has no trellis frame, I'm gonna have to say no. All wiring, throttle, ABS/TCS sensors, sub frame mounts...Just, no.

The amount of money you'd spend trying to shoehorn it into your frame, you could've bought 2 or 3 used 1198 motors, or rebuilt one, twice. Or hell, just buy a Panigale

Last edited by randomtask; October 22nd, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

agreed here, there was a peridigmn (spl) shift between 1*98 and 1*99 bikes.. the 1198 can be made to make GOBS of power though. and more torque than the 1199 anyways
desmo.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #4

every thing is possible , Is it doable for this specific application not really , Will it work ..Sure it will with a lot of modification, time , effort , resource . At the end it might not be worth it for what you put into it .

I have done so many conversions ( Cars , Truck , VW Busses , Motorcycles ..Etc ) . Some of them ran with great success and some required a lot of effort that spoiled the fun .

If it was me i will slap a 1198 eng in it and be done ...Worse case sell the thing for parts and buy 1199

cheers
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Everything is possible 99.9999999% of the time and this is that.000000001%

Hell no this is happening unless you have a ton of money to spend and want a bike that rides like shit when done. The ECU wiring is the least of your worries because like randomtask said, those are 2 complete opposite bikes. You would have to butcher the 1198 frame to get the 1199 motor in and that would change the whole ride.
papawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster S4 R]

^ like he said, possible. 1199 was designed originally to go in a CF trellis frame and that design got scrapped fairly early in the project. Heads got changed and a whole slew of modifications to the engine transpired from the early proto's. Way easier to just slap another 1198 in and be done then to fab from scratch a frame and mount system.
jsgbearpaws1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Thanks for all the input guys. I did the engine swap with a 1198 engine. I think it went pretty well, and the bike started. I am going to swap out the gas when I get back from vacation because it's quite old and I didn't realize how much time had passed initially. I have run into a couple of hiccups maybe. I have some ideas but thought maybe if I get some input on here by people, it might give me some ideas I haven't thought of. So when I started it (on old gas) it took a while to start, would idle, then when I gave throttle it would rev but die when I let off. I am thinking this is a fuel issue, but would be interested to hear any other opinions. Gas is at least 6 months old, and I don't know what grade it is. It was in the tank when I purchased the bike. Other item, I have replaced the clutch plates, basket, pressure plate, hub, etc. when I squeeze my clutch lever it moves the pressure plate, just not enough to disengage. I figured I would double check the bleeding first, then slave cylinder condition, then aftermarket plate thickness compared to stock. Maybe I need a spacer for the new clutch components?
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDillinger84 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I did the engine swap with a 1198 engine. I think it went pretty well, and the bike started. I am going to swap out the gas when I get back from vacation because it's quite old and I didn't realize how much time had passed initially. I have run into a couple of hiccups maybe. I have some ideas but thought maybe if I get some input on here by people, it might give me some ideas I haven't thought of. So when I started it (on old gas) it took a while to start, would idle, then when I gave throttle it would rev but die when I let off. I am thinking this is a fuel issue, but would be interested to hear any other opinions. Gas is at least 6 months old, and I don't know what grade it is. It was in the tank when I purchased the bike. Other item, I have replaced the clutch plates, basket, pressure plate, hub, etc. when I squeeze my clutch lever it moves the pressure plate, just not enough to disengage. I figured I would double check the bleeding first, then slave cylinder condition, then aftermarket plate thickness compared to stock. Maybe I need a spacer for the new clutch components?

Gas isn't necessarily too old. But not a bad idea to swap with fresh, and it's easy. As for the clutch, bleed thoroughly. And I bet your stack height isn't correct. Should be 36.5mm I believe. Also, the size of the slave will have an effect. Is it stock? Or smaller diameter piston?
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask View Post
Gas isn't necessarily too old. But not a bad idea to swap with fresh, and it's easy. As for the clutch, bleed thoroughly. And I bet your stack height isn't correct. Should be 36.5mm I believe. Also, the size of the slave will have an effect. Is it stock? Or smaller diameter piston?

It's the stock slave cylinder. And I have heard rumors that they are known to go out on the 1198. I am a little new to the Ducati world, som I am not familiar with the quirks. Assuming my throttle problem is not the fuel, any other ideas?
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #10

Also, speaking of clutches... and I know there is probably a more appropriate place to post this. The metal ring that goes around the clutch basket, is this simply to prevent expansion since the top of the ring is open?
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Do you have aftermarket levers?
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #12

I do have aftermarket levers. I have to set them to max setting to get anything at all out of it
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #13

Alright, so it appears that changing out the gas has worked. Also, threw the old mighty vac on the hydraulics to flush/bleed the hydraulic line, and duct out someone's hair all. It was gross, but clutch is working good now, I then went through all of the hydraulics and replaced all of the fluid in brakes and clutch. Rear brake had a lot of condensation or water, and the front looked like molasses. Next stop, new chain...
jwm2k3 and randomtask like this.