New 1198 Owner From Brazil - Mirrors Doubt - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boggy
  • 1 Post By lextech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

New 1198 Owner From Brazil - Mirrors Doubt

Hi guys!
At really I am a Ducati 1198 owner since March/16. That's a amazing superbike and I am really happy.

I'd like to know guys, if you also have "problems" with the mirrors, due the small size.

Sometimes it's appear that you don't have mirrors... I know that a lot of people doesn't use mirros but.. I'd like to do.. lol

Anyone changed the mirrors for Ducati 1198?

Tks!
Attached Images

Last edited by paulera_pro; October 25th, 2016 at 08:10 AM.
paulera_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

The mirrors that come on the 848/1x98 line are pretty much useless unless you want to do the chicken wing to see under your arm. Some have gone to bar end mirrors, some have taken them off and some have gone to back up camera systems. To each his/her own.
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Hi Patrick,

I appreciate your help, your information was sharp and helpful... I think that I will go ahead using the chicken wing or buy a back up camera.. lol

tks again!
paulera_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Mirrors are useless .. That is the 1st thing we have people take off /tape at the Race school .. You only need to worry about what's ahead of you . Your focus should be devoted to that .

With that being said for the average street jockey mirrors could be good and bad. Like other said improvise
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I still use them!

I still use them. However, I have been looking for a better option.

Welcome to the club!
photo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windex View Post
Mirrors are useless .. That is the 1st thing we have people take off /tape at the Race school .. You only need to worry about what's ahead of you . Your focus should be devoted to that .

With that being said for the average street jockey mirrors could be good and bad. Like other said improvise
That's a ridiculous thing to advise another rider in my opinion. Yes, the mirrors on an 848, 1098, 1198 are not the best design but they can be made to work.

A better piece of advice would be to recommend using Oberon Mirror Extenders which fit between the standard mirror and the windshield. They extend and raise the sideways view by around 1.5 inches which is enough to clear your arms. I have them fitted on my 1098S and they are excellent. They will at least prolong the time to being hit from the rear by a car overtaking you if you wish to pull out and pass an object or car yourself but Windex is right, nothing can really guarantee this happening.

Another option is to change the way you ride by getting used to performing a 'life-saver' look over your shoulder in addition to using your mirrors every time you manoeuvre. This should reduce risk of collision massively and it is taught in many countries, including by Police riders.

The Oberon Mirror Extenders are about 70/85. Well worth it.

Richard.
cbr6 likes this.
Boggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy View Post
That's a ridiculous thing to advise another rider in my opinion. Yes, the mirrors on an 848, 1098, 1198 are not the best design but they can be made to work.

A better piece of advice would be to recommend using Oberon Mirror Extenders which fit between the standard mirror and the windshield. They extend and raise the sideways view by around 1.5 inches which is enough to clear your arms. I have them fitted on my 1098S and they are excellent. They will at least prolong the time to being hit from the rear by a car overtaking you if you wish to pull out and pass an object or car yourself but Windex is right, nothing can really guarantee this happening.

Another option is to change the way you ride by getting used to performing a 'life-saver' look over your shoulder in addition to using your mirrors every time you manoeuvre. This should reduce risk of collision massively and it is taught in many countries, including by Police riders.

The Oberon Mirror Extenders are about 70/€85. Well worth it.

Richard.
reading your comment indicated to me that you did read my post but did not understand it , You took it for its face value ..

Cary on
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #8

I have a pair of OEM Ducati Mirror extenders for sale if interested. Private message me!
VJ020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Rizoma makes some really nice and functional mirrors for the 1198 series , but they are a little expensive .
RNJ12 likes this.
lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Take a look at the moto science mirrors. Or go to bar end mirrors. Personally I don't have a problem doing the Ducati chicken wing.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I have the Ducati Performance mirrors and I find them usable, but not as good as I have had on other bikes. I think that your height may effect how you can see in the different mirrors. If you could sit on 848,1198 with different types of mirrors before you buy would be very helpful.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 06:49 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I just fitted carbon fiber mirrors from fullsix....they are manufactured with about 75mm extra length....they are perfect but horrendously expensive....but they look beautiful...
Attached Images

Flypast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 06:57 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

And you will need to "build" them with you OEM glass and indicators....not a task taken lightly....true.
Flypast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextech View Post
Rizoma makes some really nice and functional mirrors for the 1198 series , but they are a little expensive .

Thats what I slapped on my bike a few months ago and yeah a little pricey but damn they look so good and best thing about them, you can actually use them for what they are made for.
RNJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote