1098 Luggage? - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I've covered a lot of miles with my Kriega R35 backpack. Never even notice it's there.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #17

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZOSO View Post
Wood you beat me to it, the only luggage carried on a 1098 should be on your back.
+1
Touring? I am sure most can afford a second comfortable bike like a BMW.
don't do that to the ducati pretty please!

Imagine a Ferrari towing a trailer? this is how it's seen...

Last edited by Ghostrider_2020; August 6th, 2008 at 02:08 AM.
Ghostrider_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[996]

Send a message via AIM to junior
anyone used the kriega tail bags on a 1098 ?, pic's ?

seen a 848 with a ventura rack, just does not work, so looking for something else.

Every morning I wake up, I find that I am on the wrong side of capitalism.

Military policy is like cancer: Nobody knows where it comes from but it can't be ignored.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Did you check out Corbin's setup? Smuggler pack I think it is called, do a search.

Jason

Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #20

No ducatis in the registry

Hi,

Those panniers are fuel tanks for the cannonball run...

I've been riding sports bikes flat out through europe for decades, I just can't see how you can ride at 100mph + all day on backroads with a rucksack on, you must be knackered (very, very tired in UK language). How do you hang off and drag your knee? how do you ride the canyons fast with rucksacks and tank bags? I need to be free to move around and tuck behind the screen... You guys must be fitter than me... god, the thought of a rucksack on my back..... and the thought of crashing with a rucksack especially those hard panelled ones... eek!

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpo View Post
Yer i do a lot of touring and was sick of getting my gear wet all the time, even with the storm cover on the vetura. I have upgraded to a 45L top box now its i bit wider.
I like this idea
Attached Images

Last edited by jamiemac; August 6th, 2008 at 07:10 AM.
jamiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

If you're just out charging the twisties there's no need to carry any gear.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I wouldn't ride with an ordinary rucksack. It would be bulging and sliding and dragging and getting caught all over the place. But the Kriega (and probably a few other brands) is a different sort. It's more like a parachute harness than a rucksack. Everything is very tight and compact. It zips right up your chest like a jacket over your leathers. Unless you pack something stupid inside, I don't see how it could become a hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemac View Post
Hi,

I've been riding sports bikes flat out through europe for decades, I just can't see how you can ride at 100mph + all day on backroads with a rucksack on, you must be knackered (very, very tired in UK language). How do you hang off and drag your knee? how do you ride the canyons fast with rucksacks and tank bags? I need to be free to move around and tuck behind the screen... You guys must be fitter than me... god, the thought of a rucksack on my back..... and the thought of crashing with a rucksack especially those hard panelled ones... eek!

Jamie
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #23

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I'm keeping my eye open for some small side bags. When we hit the canyons we tend to be out for a few hours and the extra storage is welcomed. Versatility is the key. I ride 38mi to work each night/day, often times the wx is very different from home to work and etc. So having some storage is essential, for now I just modded a tail bag to bolt onto a spare seat, holds all the wet gear, tools, water, Rockstar etc..but can popped off with the key so track time is quick as well.
Attached Images

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
CAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemac View Post
Hi,

Jamie

I have had no problem with a top box on the back and doing stupid speeds or through the twisties. The only problem with wearing a back pack is that you will break either ribs if your lucky or you back if you come off. The hump on your back is bad in a crash.
Humpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Humpo
Good point on the potential for injury. Suspect much of that could also be relative to the weight and shape of the load. Same for the trunk/rear case. Your simpler setup here vs. the rack setups and some of the really huge packs seems sensible in that you don't need to spend much and you can somewhat control looks by using an even smaller bag.
Any pics on your mounts?
Recent: '03 ST4S, '02 RC51, '94 VFR750
Past: Everything Honda made from 1981 thru 1992 (owned a dealership)
CH Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I made it to fit where the rear seat is. It mount to the 4 bolts that hold the tail on. The givi mount then bolts onto the 8mm blots. works very well.
Attached Images

Humpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Humpo, very nice setup, similar to what I did with my soft Oxford Hump Pack pictured above, although I was lazier and just found a used pillion seat to cut n drill mount through I might be on the prowl for a used Givi now, good post.

Red 08' 1098

Its all fun and games until somebody gets bitched slapped.... then its time to laugh, have a beer and become best of friends.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks for the pictures!
Recent: '03 ST4S, '02 RC51, '94 VFR750
Past: Everything Honda made from 1981 thru 1992 (owned a dealership)
CH Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 2]

Another option:
http://www.ducati1098.net/forums/sho...luggage&page=2

Chris
ckirkst2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkst2s View Post

Definitely a nice homebrew fix. Good ideas and better for sharing

Red 08' 1098