1098 Luggage? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 Luggage?

A mate of mine has a 1098 (I have a Multistrada), he's going on a trip to France in a couple of weeks & needs to get some luggage/rack system. One system he's found is Ventura, does anyone have any experience of Ventura or can suggest another make?

Thanks
Anthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

The ventura works ok but you can only have the bag facing to the rear not both ways like the older models. Also its not water proof. I have the Givi top box on mine. I had to make a bracket to fit it but works well, but it just looks like a bbq.
Attached Images

Humpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #3

Hi,

Used Ventura for years....Swear by the stuff.

Been all over France on the 1098S with Ventura luggage, never a single problem. Order the waterfproof over cover.

Highly recommenmded.... wouldn't know it was there at 180mph +

Hate rucksacks as they act as a wing when you're tucked behind the screen, lifting you up, hate tankbags because they stop you tucking down behind the screen on the twisty French backroads. (map holder on tank in pics)

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthil View Post
A mate of mine has a 1098 (I have a Multistrada), he's going on a trip to France in a couple of weeks & needs to get some luggage/rack system. One system he's found is Ventura, does anyone have any experience of Ventura or can suggest another make?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by jamiemac; August 5th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
jamiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpo View Post
The ventura works ok but you can only have the bag facing to the rear not both ways like the older models. Also its not water proof. I have the Givi top box on mine. I had to make a bracket to fit it but works well, but it just looks like a bbq.
You have a side shot?
thinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

yep
Attached Images

Old August 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #6

Excellent solution Humpo.....it does look a bit strange but very neat
Merto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Yer i do a lot of touring and was sick of getting my gear wet all the time, even with the storm cover on the vetura. I have upgraded to a 45L top box now its i bit wider.
I like this idea
Attached Images

Old August 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

http://onewheeldrive.net/index.php?o...d=803&Itemid=1
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #9

I saw that........ Going a little OTT for an average road trip though
Merto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Yer your right i think if you had the small multi panniers and no bags it would look better.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

somebody shold have bought a HD or Goldwing, looks stupid on a pasta rocket to me.
wood2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Wood you beat me to it, the only luggage carried on a 1098 should be on your back.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

True, that's why God invented Ducati back packs.
wood2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #14

I rode to my ice hockey game a few times on my gixxer. I have one of those backpack type hockey bags, it's real big, not your average backpack. I threw my back seat on so the bottom of the bag would rest on the rear seat & the weight wasnt really on my back. My stick stuck staight out the top & when i was leaned forward it kinda came over my shoulder on a 45 degree angle. I was told i looked like the movie Kill Bill when Chick had a sword or something on her bike. I didnt see that movie though so i don't really know the reference. It worked well, but only a 30 minute ride. May not be the best solution for long rides.
makan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Carry it on your back - Kriega

Spent a lot of time thinking about this one. The last posts on carrying it on your back made the most sense to me. At least for this bike.

Just traded the ST4S Saturday and am now riding a new red 1098. Sold the wife on it by getting her a 696 so we can still do our trips.

I am determined I am going to do some commuting - 33 miles each way - and vacation touring. The ST had been in just about every canyon in WY, SD and CO. Much of that was two up and included crossing the continental divide 8 times in a snow storm in NW WY.

This year's plan is for the typical week after Labor Day and the target is the Blue Ridge and the Smokeys. Now living in SE MI it's only about 350 per day, taking it easy with the wife as she gets dialed in with her Monster. A friend is coming along with his Aprilia so I'm sure we'll get some morning and late afternoon fun time.

Anyway, point is that for a solo rider the luggage belongs on my back. I just couldn't picture doing the big tail trunk but I could sure understand the guys that do the 1200 mile days like I've done with the ST. My Aprilia friend showed me his Kriega backpack and I tried it. Keeps the weight off the back, don't even know it's there. I ordered both the R25 and the R35. Figured I would commute with the 25, let the wife wear it on vacation while I carry the 35.

This is my first post here so sorry about the length. Far and away the best Duc site. Lots of useful discussions and plenty of twisted humor.
Recent: '03 ST4S, '02 RC51, '94 VFR750
Past: Everything Honda made from 1981 thru 1992 (owned a dealership)
CH Luke is offline   Reply With Quote