How Many 1098's Are Still Stalling? - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

Just because not all bikes are stalling doesn't mean there isn't a problem with every bike out there.

If it's a fuelling issue then obviously there's a lot of external factors which can influence the outcome. So some bikes might stall whereas others might not.

There are two ways to look at this.

One is that there is a problem with every bike but that the stalling isn't happening on every bike all of the time. In this case it certainly warrants a recall and/or fix at the factory. After all I've had recalls on bikes and cars previously which never exhibited the fault which was mentioned as a reason for the recall!

The other is that there are differences between bikes being shipped by Ducati. So some have a stalling problem and some don't. Of course this then means there are quality control issues at Ducati. Every bike leaving the factory should be identical. If this isn't the case then it's as much of a cause for concern, if not more so, than a problem affecting every bike.
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I have a base model 1098 with the Full Termi exhaust and all. It has stalled several times mostly at lights. It might be just me trying to get used to the clutch. On the other hand, I think it could just be a break in period thing. What's really wierd is the other day as I was warming the bike up on my driveway it just suddely quit. No warning at all...just decided it wanted to stop running. The temperature was fine...140F. There was gas. Who knows, maybe it is just because the tolerances are still so tight in the engine. I only have 50+ miles on her. It's been raining quite a bit this week in Dallas.

If mine stalls during a turn, I'm screwed. I hope that never happens to anyone. Be safe fellow riders!
Honda freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Or may be it was that cloud in the sky !

There is no tolerance or break in..... involved here, at least I never see something like that in other vehicule. And please dont say like Ducati instruct their service manager to tell....ohhhh it's a race bike !

Well hope they dont stall at start line ...lol
Grand Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM   #19

CAG has a point. I'll see DucMike and KTD this weekend. They have received their bike from coleman. I didn't recall them posting the stalling problem. I got mine from PA. At idle, it never stalled. Knock on wood.

If I were you, I would call around the dealerships. LIke the other forum, there are great mechanics and there are ok mechanics.
Ducati Red 998 (sold)
Honda Red/Black RC-51 (sold)
Honda Yellow/Black929 (sold)
Kawasaki Red Ninja ZX-7 (sold)
Kawasaki Green/Black Ninja ZX-6E (sold)
ansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[996]

Mine's been stalling too. Six times the first day I got it (which was actually from Battley) and since then about once a ride. Like kaution it happened to me in turn, but I had gotten used to pushing the start button immediately and didn't have any problems as a result. She's got Termi slip-ons, air filt, & eprom. Idles about 1300
DucMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

I agree with BLUEY, and I'm sure a recall or a bulletin is coming in the near future. The number of bikes that are still should not be stalling. I unerstand that new production bikes may exhibit issues but stalling. Of all the problems that could go wrong, why stalling?
kaution321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #22

yes my husband was nearly killed on sat, his bikes done 70 miles he was going around laurel bank when it stalled, its a sharpe bend it caused him to go straight into two oncomming vechicles he went over one and under the other, he will be in hospital for 4 weeks he was in surgery for 9 hrs on sunday, I am so mad that someone somewere knew that there were problems.

its at the testing centre at the moment, but its going to ducati dealership overhere for a full diagonostic.

will let every on know how we got on

be careful,
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #23

you know i wish i had made my husband read this i think there will definetly be a recall now, ducati will have to admit theres a problem he nearly died, he got his bkie on the 19 4 2007, rode it for the first time on sat, he was out with my son, he was going around a sharp bend( laurel bank) and hit two cars, i dont know how he survied but he did, i hope this doesnt happen to anyone one else, its been a nightmare,it is getting a full diagnostic test with police presence! and ather independant person,will let every one know
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

That is horrible and a definite unnecessary risk. Where you located? Also where did you get the bike from? Has anyone contacted Ducati and what has been their response?
You probably have a million other things to worry about right now!

There is another individual in California that I have been speaking with about a similar incident but luckily there were no injuries.
Aviddigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

The stalling issue is so bad that so many people are already selling their 1098's shortly after taking delivery.
kaution321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM   #26

MANX;

I am truely sorry for what you are going through. I had a 2005 999 that Ducati had to buy back due to the 9 sereies bike stalling issue which is the same as the 1098. A bike that stalls like the Ducati superbikes have been is not safe and I can not believe that people are reading these reviews and still eagerly waiting for their 1098 to come in. I do not own a 1098 but I was waiting to see it and hear the owner reviews and it is just outrageous that Ducati let this bike out knowing of this problem.

Ducati came out with the 1098 with the idea that it would boost the label which it has for this quarter but I am afraid that this may be the straw that brakes the camels back.

For all of the 1098 owners out there; good luck. The only thing out there worse that a stalling Ducati superbike is Ducati customer service. For everyone in North America contact Daniel at DNA and say that you will not take this sitting down. There is no reason that this should be happening.

Be safe, lissen to MANX's story and learn that you all should probably not be riding these bikes until a fix is found.
Baz152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:28 AM   #27

Manx,

Sorry to hear about your husband's accident - hope he recovers quickly!

Would this be a worrying first for the stalling problem? Every report we've seen so far seems to indicate it only happens in neutral or first gear, either at standstill or going very slowly. My own experience (on a demo bike) was in 1st gear at 5mph.

This could open up a whole new can of worms if it's possible for it to cut out at speed.
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM   #28
CAG

I was horrified to read of Manx's husband's accident. Since it is being investigted by the police, I think we should wait for the results of the investigation before we jump to conclusions. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Manx, you only have three posts here. Did you husband post here under a different name? Please tell us more about where you are. Have you notified Ducati about this?

CAG
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Posted this under the stalling poll, but thought it was pertinent to this thread as well. I'm pretty new to this list but thinking that it might be a good idea if the stalling issue was consolidated into one "sticky" tread. Thoughts?

Anway. . .

I have a base model with stock "S" exhaust. Stalled only occasionally at first and only at stop lights but now at just over 200 miles it is stalling all the time and on my last ride stalled while moving slowly in first gear and heavy traffic. Had to duck into a parking lot to avoid getting rear-ended. Bike has been parked since and I sent emai to DNA stating the seriousness of the issue and that I needed some action or I would be pursuing a refund through lemon laws and escalating to the US government DOT safety authorities. I'm not bluffing. . . I am sick of this crap!

Anyway, I got a quick response from DNA and they have scheduled with my dealer to take the bike in on Saturday to get it fixed. Will let you all know how it goes.
cmh1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #30

Stalling

Hi,

My 1098 only stalled whilst it was being run-in, due to Ducati running the bikes rich during the running-in period. Once the first service was done, the mixture was reset and no more stalling. I've since added the full system and ECU/Filter.... again it ticks over all day.... not a single stall.

Jamie UK
jamiemac is offline   Reply With Quote