How Many 1098's Are Still Stalling? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

How Many 1098's Are Still Stalling?

Current And Future 1098 Owners May Experience This Issue With Stalling On The 2007 1098's (does Not Matter What Model).

I Would Like To Know How Many 1098 Owners Are Still Experiencing This Stalling On Their 1098's And Provide Information On What Actions You Have Taken With Your Dealer If Any.

As Of Now Dna Has Stll Not Initiated Any Recalls Or Bulletins For Their U.s., Models.
kaution321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

mine...a standard stock, will have the 1000 km service on Friday. My dealer is award and said they are in touch with DNA. A trimmer adjustment is plan and....will see on Friday ! They want the bike the night before to have cold engine when they will look at it.

Last edited by Grand Duc; May 1st, 2007 at 06:15 PM.
Grand Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

I Borrowed A Friend Of Mines 1098 Today Because His Bike Is "still Experiencing The Stalling" Even After Dealer Completed The 600 Miles Service. Bike Now Has A Little Over 900 Miles On Odometer And I Was Riding This Today.

I Was Riding The Bike And Everything Felt Good When I Was About To Make A Ride Hand Turn, Downshifted To 1st Gear Bike And Bike Stalled While On A Slight Right Hand Lean. I Immediately Muscled The Bike Upright Moved To The Side Of The Road To Avoid Getting Hit By A Car Who Was Honking Thier Horns.

Bike Started Rite Up And At That Point Rode The Bike Straight To My Friends Home And Again Bike Stalled While Pulling Into My Friends Driveway.

Bike Is Back In The Dealer Again For The 3rd Time.
1st Visit Dealer Insured That Bike Was Within Factory Specs.
2nd Visit Dealer Performed 600 Mile Service And Remapped Ecu (which Had To Be Sent To Ducati May I Add).
3rd Visit Rechecking Everything Again Said Would Need Bike For A Couple Of Days?

This Is Why I Decided To Start This Thread. Question Is How Many 1098's Are Stll Experiencing This Stalling?
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

You folks may have seen some of my previous comments regarding the infamous stalling problem with my 1098S. It was a chronic problem and in my opinion, a potentially dangerous issue that should prompt a voluntary recall from Ducati. My dealership attempted adjustments to the air screw on the front cylinder. The hope was that this would fake out the O2 sensor and permit a richer mixer. It actually made matters worse.

Two weeks ago I had the 600 mile service performed and based upon feedback from other members, I opted to donate addtional money to Ducati to install Termi slip-ons, performance ECU and the air filter. Almost 400 miles later I haven't had any stalling incidents but my idle is also running higher than spec (1500 - 1600 rpm). The higher idle may be masking the stalling problem but I won't know until my dealership can tweak the idle back in spec............when they get their DDS from Ducati.

I love my 1098S but Ducati needs to step and fix this problem ASAP and properly equip their dealers. As the customer, I shouldn't be expected to spend additional money to resolve an inherent problem from the factory.

Let's hope we get a response from DNA in the very near future.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

It's hard to believe that there is still no official solution to this problem.

Jason
Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Call DNA and ask for Mike Norman. He helped me gt mine fixed and I believe he helped Cronn get his taken care of as well. Mine need a new EC and starter motor.

Trey
tbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

I feel everyone ones pain regarding this unresolved very dangerous issue. I mean I was really scared when that bike just stalled without warning. I was just glad that I didn't lean the bike too much since it wasn't my bike to begin with. Only thing I can say is that bike was heavy when it stalled on my on that turn. Close call.

I agree that DNA does need to get on the ball before some gets seriously hurt.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer
You folks may have seen some of my previous comments regarding the infamous stalling problem with my 1098S. It was a chronic problem and in my opinion, a potentially dangerous issue that should prompt a voluntary recall from Ducati. My dealership attempted adjustments to the air screw on the front cylinder. The hope was that this would fake out the O2 sensor and permit a richer mixer. It actually made matters worse.

Two weeks ago I had the 600 mile service performed and based upon feedback from other members, I opted to donate addtional money to Ducati to install Termi slip-ons, performance ECU and the air filter. Almost 400 miles later I haven't had any stalling incidents but my idle is also running higher than spec (1500 - 1600 rpm). The higher idle may be masking the stalling problem but I won't know until my dealership can tweak the idle back in spec............when they get their DDS from Ducati.

I love my 1098S but Ducati needs to step and fix this problem ASAP and properly equip their dealers. As the customer, I shouldn't be expected to spend additional money to resolve an inherent problem from the factory.

Let's hope we get a response from DNA in the very near future.
I buddy installed a full system, filter and updated ecu thinking it was the fix. Result, bike still stalls to this day and he wasn't really looking to install an exhaust he just thought it was the fix.

DNA should at least announce something to the media and let their current owners know that DNA is working on a fix. You can't just ignore your customers who are still experiencing this issue.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM   #9

Mine is a base with stock exhausts and has only stalled 3 times within 1300kms so its not that bad really and only ever at the lights while waiting, never during downshift. I still reported it to my dealer at the 600mile service who said he's aware of the problems but has advised there is nothing that can be done unless I have a set of Termi's cause with the stock ECU there is no adjustments that can be made.
"she that must be obeyed" has forbidden me spending any more money on this bike so getting a new exhaust is not an option for me and quite frankly that kind of solution from DNA is a JOKE. I know that they blame it on the bikes running so lean to meet Euro3 regulations but why don't the japanese bikes stall ? They also have met Euro3 regularions and they seem to be running right. If the only solution to this problem is ugrading the exhaust then DNA should ugrade mine for free.
I just have to wait till someone comes up with a proper solution but considering I'm still waiting for parts to arrive in Australia for the Pulley Recall I dont see a solution coming too soon.
poyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

maybe it will take someone getting seriously hurt or even worse before this "issue" gets resolved. if thats the case i am very dissapointed.
dbanks1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

For those 1098's that are still stalling just be careful when riding out there. Just remember if anything happens DNA is responsible. I'm surprised there is still no recalls for the U.S. models. I hate to say it, but i think unless someone seriously gets hurt nothing will be done.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #12

Had a word with my dealer yesterday - my bike is due in a couple of weeks. It's officially an 'April build' and he assures me that the stalling issue will be fixed as a result of a revised ECU (which I assume means a different map).

Whether that is true remains to be seen. I'm going to reserve judgement (given the number of bikes which are still being released from dealers with the problem) until I've experienced it (or not) for myself.

Watch this space!
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #13
CAG

Ok, kids, here we go.

1) Ducati will not issue a recall. Not all bikes are stalling. They don't put much stock in internet chatter. They are aware of a few bikes that have stalling issues.

2)Not all dealers have a $4000 exhaust gas analyzer. For them it is less embarassing to say they are waiting for the fix from Ducati or it is within spec than admit they don't have the tools to tune it.

3) Do you actually own a bike that has stalled or are you just complaining here because the issue bothers you and you like piling on? Are you short the stock?

4) If you have a 1098 and it is stalling EMAIL DUCATI NORTH AMERICA and then CALL THEM. You will get a response, first by email. It will have your regional representative's name on it. CALL THE REP. Give him your name, the serial number of the bike and describe the problem. Ducati is keeping track of which serial numbers have stalling issues and are dealing with those bikes ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. Ducati will re-imburse your dealer for any shop time incurred since the bike is under warranty. They do not waffle, they do not equivicate, they do not give out lame excuses. Their regional technical expert will work hand in hand (well, on the phone) with your dealer's tech to solve the problem. After your service, the Regional Ducati Rep his own self will call you and ask if your problem has been resolved. (I know this from personal experience)

5)No one wants to create extra work for himself. Not the dealer, not Ducati and not the bike owner. If your dealer is not thrilled about your bike being in his shop, you need to be proactive with Ducati and get the dealer and Ducati talking.

I posted the fix for people with slip ons and challenged anyone who had followed the steps exactly and still had stalling issues to post a response here. No one has. That means either the fix worked, no one has followed the steps as detailed, or people are just too lazy to post their bike is fixed. (I sincerely doubt it is the latter).

Go ahead. Call Ducati with the steps I recommend and see if the voice on the other end of the line doesn't "Yup, that seems to be what is working".

Or, call Modesto Ducati who has sent out dozens of bikes with no stalling issues. Or Gengras who has sent out fewer but with the exception of mine, has had none with stalling issues.

I understand we want all the bikes to be perfect from the factory. In a perfect world they would be. If every bike were stalling there would be a recall. (You do remember the very quick solution to the cam belt idlers don't you) If you don't it was an IMMEDIATE fix to the bikes on the line and a recall of the bikes with in a serial number range regardless if the pullys were rubbing on the case or not. Ducati won't do this with the stalling issue because, lets see, how do I put this? Oh, yes, NOT ALL BIKES ARE STALLING.

CAG
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Let's start a pole so we get a picture of percentage of staler. It is very high....we all know that.

This is a major issue here....a safety concern and some one gonna be hurt out there....that for sure ! It is incredible that a motorcycle with this can of problem was allowed to hit the street.

Will see after my 600 miles service on Friday
Grand Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyta
Mine is a base with stock exhausts and has only stalled 3 times within 1300kms so its not that bad really and only ever at the lights while waiting, never during downshift. I still reported it to my dealer at the 600mile service who said he's aware of the problems but has advised there is nothing that can be done unless I have a set of Termi's cause with the stock ECU there is no adjustments that can be made.
"she that must be obeyed" has forbidden me spending any more money on this bike so getting a new exhaust is not an option for me and quite frankly that kind of solution from DNA is a JOKE. I know that they blame it on the bikes running so lean to meet Euro3 regulations but why don't the japanese bikes stall ? They also have met Euro3 regularions and they seem to be running right. If the only solution to this problem is ugrading the exhaust then DNA should ugrade mine for free.
I just have to wait till someone comes up with a proper solution but considering I'm still waiting for parts to arrive in Australia for the Pulley Recall I dont see a solution coming too soon.
My dealer told me the exact same thing.
I should be getting my bike back with the slip-on sometime this week...will let you guys know if that fixes the problem.
simkab is offline   Reply With Quote