1098S Suspension Upgrade help needed - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

1098S Suspension Upgrade help needed

Hi all, I picked up my 08 1098s last fall. I've had it on the track a couple times and am in the process of doing some upgrades and service during the winter.

I've read that despite the 'S' having Ohlins suspension, both ends should be upgraded. Opinions on this are welcome.

I'm very new to the track but a firm believer in equipping myself with the best kit I can afford and try to remove any equipment related issues from my learning. I've got a set of 30mm offset triples on the way, but what about the forks? It seems as though there are a few options up front from Ohlins, 1) Performance kit (not even sure what this includes), 2) NIX 30mm FGK213 cartridge kit, or 3) FGRT 213 forks, and maybe even 4) the TTX25 FGR163 gas cartridge kit??. Or maybe just a fresh service of the OEM Ohlins and setup assist at my next track day is sufficient for a noob like me? Is there any demand (or compelling reason) for me sell the OEM forks and replace with the full FGRT fork?

A few Ohlins options for the rear as well: 1 )TTX MkI DU788 , 2) TTX MkII DU931, or 3) the Dan Kyle TTX-GP DU362 with linear link.

I'm leaning towards the 30mm cartridge and the DU931, maybe together or maybe do the front now and add the rear later.

My forks are sitting with my local (I'm military stationed overseas) Ohlins guy, but he can't get the cartridge kit for some reason and the performance kit is backordered till June. He's offered to order the parts and pieces of the performance kit individually and do the upgrade that way, but if I'm gonna spend the money, I think I'd rather pop for a more substantial upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Raider. You ask several great questions and have came to the right place to find answers. First I am not a suspension expert. However I did race in Wera for 4 years a long time ago. And currently i am a track day coach with the largest track day org. in the country and have been for 8 years with approximately 25,000 track day miles. First in order for you to get anything from a track day both front and rear suspensions should be sprung for your weight. I personally think this is important for street riding as well. That's a $80 rear spring if the current one is not right and $80 to $190 for front springs if they need changed. Price varies weather u use ohlins springs or other manufacturer springs. Sag heights very by tuner and geometry is also infinitely variable and very by tuner. But I wouldn't worry about geometry. Just sag heights. Find a tuner with the track day org. U ride with. I have used several over the years. While your changing springs you could upgrade the fluid valves of the forks. a stock Ducati ohlins suspension on the "S" is lacking these upgraded valves. The valves and fluid weights are the only difference in your stock suspension and the superbike forks bought aftermarket. Remember to service your forks every couple years if you do lots of track days. I personally as a coach did aprox 8 to 10 track weekends that's 2 days each weekend so as many as 20 track days per year. I serviced my forks every winter. But the less track days your services can be done less often. I hope this helps. I will check back to see if you have more questions.
54041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I agree with them being sprung right is key. I have a 1098S and at 215lbs no gear, I had 100% preload maxed on the front forks just to keep me from bottoming them out. This is really wrong. So I got the right springs, swapped the fluid, set the sag and then at the track worked on compression and rebound and damper setting to get it dialed in well. The rear, the TTX is a good upgrade as the stock Ohlins is a PITA to adjust preload. If you later want to do the flat link, it'll be easier to do it up front as it requires a stiffer spring and a different ride height rod (and cutting of the shock length). So perhaps do that first? But 30mm triples are great too. I have those.
Agr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 02:43 AM   #4

I would like to add one more very important factor to my already lengthy post. If, if you put money in your suspension, service, springs, valves. Or maybe all new all around. Never, ever strap that bike to a trailer with straps. There are many alternatives out there. I happen to like pit bull strapless stands but am not a dealer or trying to endorse just my favorite. If you strap it you might as well send me the money cause it would goto waste. I also am not a huge fan of riding a street bike to a track day. Because there is always a chance of a breakage or the big C word we not mention in this trade. Last minute arranging to get a bike home from an already exhausting weekend is tough. Ok my 3 cents
54041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Thanks all for the replies. Here is an update on my progress:

Apparently the 30mm cartridges have been discontinued by Ohlins. I got this from my local Ohlins guy and some reputable Ohlins experts in the US. So, I decided to go with the Performance Kit, aka Superbike Valve kit (Ohlins 3200-27). This comes with three different sets of springs, so should be easy to spring it appropriately. This kit will be installed by the local Ohlins guru and racer. Is there a higher performance oil I should ask for or purchase and bring to him?

On the back, I bought the TTX DU931 with the correct spring for my weight.

If anyone has some baseline settings for rebound and dampening settings for either front or rear, that would be greatly appreciated. At least gives me a starting point to fine tune.

I got all this for a little more than the 30mm cartridges would have been. Pretty happy about that. But I don't have the funds at this time for the linear link. I saw the Forsaken link that supposedly doesn't require any modification to the shock, maybe a stiffer spring, but I can't remember. I will try and add this later.

30mm offset triples from MotoWheels are on the way.

This should finish off my winter upgrade shopping. I'll be doing everything in the annual/7.5K mile check over the next couple months. I've added new Spiegler brake lines to get rid of the over-the-fender setup for quicker front wheel changes. I've got a second set of wheels with rain tires. New CP1 brake pads up front (of course that comes with fresh fluid). New EVR clutch plates and springs for the DP slipper (new fluid there too). Aluminum fairing stay and rear sub-frame, Lightech rearsets, frame/axle sliders, and a few other bits.

I do trailer the bike to the track and use the AceBikes Tyre fix on both front and rear with the front in a chock. She's not moving anywhere and no pressure on the suspension.

Thanks for all the advice and feel free to chime in with more!
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:19 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Upgrades nearly complete. New TTX MKII DU931 installed on the back. 30mm offset triples waiting for the forks to come back from my Íhlins guy with the Superbike valve kit and springs installed.

A few other upgrades/maintenance items and I'll be ready for the first track day of the season. 3 days on the Brno circuit 17-19 Apr. Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1485148742.708888.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  104.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1485148757.394452.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  99.0 KB
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Just my preference, but my racebike feels better with the tops of my forks flush with the Nichols triples...
Attached Images

Old January 25th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #8

Get the ride height perfect and you'll be stoked.

Forgot what height I needed up with on my 848 but I tuned it using traction control data. You'll be amazed of how much grip you can loose if it's not quite right.
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Any info on the process you used to find it ?
IdZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote