showa adjustments? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

showa adjustments?

is there anything i can do to adjust the stock showas on the base 1098? i felt the front susp. bottom out when i had my weight shifted forward and got on the brakes quickly... is there an EDU on this?

Last edited by domestictuner; August 24th, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
domestictuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[999 S]

Start by setting up the sag on the springs front and rear ,you will notice a huge improvement by doing this alone.
Unless you are a heavy weight, then you might need to start changing springs.

30-35mm rear , 35-40 front. No doubt someone will disagree with this but its a starting point.

Then start with the dampening settings.

Good luck.
masterchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchop View Post
Start by setting up the sag on the springs front and rear ,you will notice a huge improvement by doing this alone.
Unless you are a heavy weight, then you might need to start changing springs.

30-35mm rear , 35-40 front. No doubt someone will disagree with this but its a starting point.

Then start with the dampening settings.

Good luck.
any info on all the adjustments and how to do them on the forks?
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Banned

I find for my fully kitted weight (200lbs), winding the fork springs in to the last line from the top sets the sag fine. If you're still hitting bottom try a little more comp damping.

For the rear, about half a turn less on the spring seemed to be good, the action is a little harsh but I need to spend some more time with the damping settings there.

Like others will tell you, set the sag first then the damping a little at a time untill it suits you.
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
I find for my fully kitted weight (200lbs), winding the fork springs in to the last line from the top sets the sag fine. If you're still hitting bottom try a little more comp damping.

For the rear, about half a turn less on the spring seemed to be good, the action is a little harsh but I need to spend some more time with the damping settings there.

Like others will tell you, set the sag first then the damping a little at a time untill it suits you.
I would suggest the following publication for those interested in learning and understanding suspension tuning for street or track:

Suspension for Mortals by Max McAllister of Traxxion Dynamics. Take it from this racer and mechanical engineer, I have worked with Max and he is very good and his training stuff will help you all and is the cheapest upgrade you will ever make to your bike and your riding.

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail...oduct_id=SUS4V

This is better than endless posting/trading settings as the training will make you become part of the system that learns what the bike is doing and what needs changing.

AXE

Last edited by Axecent; August 24th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Axecent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Banned

Allways interested to read new stuff, the link is giving me "page not found".
If you could give it a quick check that would be great.

Cheers
Ross
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Soz
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axecent View Post
I would suggest the following publication for those interested in learning and understanding suspension tuning for street or track:

Suspension for Mortals by Max McAllister of Traxxion Dynamics. Take it from this racer and mechanical engineer, I have worked with Max and he is very good and his training stuff will help you all and is the cheapest upgrade you will ever make to your bike and your riding.

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail...oduct_id=SUS4V

This is better than endless posting/trading settings as the training will make you become part of the system that learns what the bike is doing and what needs changing.

AXE
That is only your opinion that it is a better way of learning - rather than discussion with others in a foum like this - and is somewhat condescending toward the learning potential of everyone on this board.

Trading details of what others are doing with their bikes, understanding what changes they have made and why, asking questions, making changes yourself, swapping ideas and forwarding contact details of other professional people that we deal with in this environment - are all valid and justifiable ways of learning and should not be so flippantly dissmissed in order to flog a product.

I would say - don't buy it.

I would say continue to talk to people in this kind of environment, on other boards, and in the real world with proffesional service providers, and then make your mind up whether you need it. I haven't bought it, and it hasn't stopped me from understanding my suspension or how it works.

Go put it up on Dan Kyles board on the other 1098 friendly forum and see what kind of response you receive.

I'm going to place this on every other thread you have advertised this on.

Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Soz
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Last edited by Soz; August 24th, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
Allways interested to read new stuff, the link is giving me "page not found".
If you could give it a quick check that would be great.

Cheers
Ross
I have checked it twice today and it has been working.
Axecent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[999 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestictuner View Post
any info on all the adjustments and how to do them on the forks?
Mark two points on the forks, then lift the bike and measure the distance between your marks.

Put all your riding gear on and sit on the bike.
Get someone else to measure between your marks.

Subtract the second figure from the first and that is your sag.
Adjust your spring preload to get into the range I previously posted.

Do the same on the rear.
masterchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1198 S]

Just read this thread, not much help.
Anyone done an upgrade to their 1098 front Showa's.
Problem is i bottom out.
Preload is wound in to the second last ring
Compression is wound in half turn from full.
Both these i don't want to max out.
I am 95kg.
Anyone replaced the springs and if so what are the weight of the originals.

Cheers
Smarty

Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Just read this thread, not much help.
Anyone done an upgrade to their 1098 front Showa's.
Problem is i bottom out.
Preload is wound in to the second last ring
Compression is wound in half turn from full.
Both these i don't want to max out.
I am 95kg.
Anyone replaced the springs and if so what are the weight of the originals.

Cheers
Smarty
Howdy, I am 200lbs without riding gear. You definately want a acurate sag measurement. Now, me on bike with half tank I found had to DECREASE front spring preload to get anything like 30+ millimetres sag. Adjust it and get it close for you. Then, I have arrived at standard comp. setting on fork with 10 out ffrom full hard on rebound, getting there. I then added 5 ml of fork oil to each leg, this made the single biggest difference to how is worked, noticeably less dive and NO BOTTOMING anymore. You can add oil by lifting front off ground and support it, loosen top fork caps and wind out slowly, you will need to slowly lift the front wheel up to take weight off these caps as you undo, once released they will rise up slightly, you can then use a syringe to add 5ml of oil, NO MORE, it makes a world of difference. Note: standard rate springs are 10Nmm supposedly, I reckon they are too hard for anyone lighter than me, like I said, i have 30+ just mm of sag with less than standard preload and I will be backing it off one more ring to try.
I have just fitted Ohlins DU515 to rear with 95Nmm spring and am playing with it. It is VERY FIRM for road, lessens tendency to wheely, makes turning quicker,holds line better on entry and exit, just trying to get it to work better on bumps- on going fiddling at the moment. The fork oil add is EXCELLENT mod, try it but no more than 5 ml of oil at a time, you will be surprised.

Ktm181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #13

finally got a chance to mess with the suspension today, read through the book and a few links on the net,
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29855
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ion/index.html

wrapped a ziptie around the forks to get sag measurements.

Does anyone have any insite as to raising the rear ride height? I messed with it a little but didn't seem to change much (measuring from ground to taillight). Also, if you have adjusted the tierod was it difficult to turn? Mine was extremely difficult to adjust, after I loosened the locknuts i could only get about 2 turns on the adjuster to lengthen it, it looks like it is rusted?